It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
(female)

debbie2862 HB User
Mint toothpaste

This might be a silly question but is it OK to use mint toothpaste with GERD? I know mint is one of the restricted items on the diet so I'm not sure if I now have to change my toothpaste as well.
This is getting worse and worse!

Old 03-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User
Re: Mint toothpaste

it's fine.. especially since you aren't swallowing the toothpaste. I use mint toothpaste.. although I do try and avoid mint chewing gum to be safe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2006, 06:06 AM   #3

cjmacid HB User

They do say that mint is bad but since you aren't swallowing the toothpaste (I'm assuming you're not, if you are than GERD is the least of your worries) I wouldn't be too concerned. Funny thing for me though is I recall one time having horrific reflux and not having so much as a Tums available, so I chewed a piece of gum (spiramint or peppermint as I recall) and the pain went away instantly. I suppose it could have been due to the production of Saliva, which is inherently "basic" and does cut down acid, but it did work quickly. I haven't found mint to be as much of an issue for me personally. A piece of gum here and there doesn't bother me.

Old 03-10-2006, 09:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

^ chewing gum helps me too.. I usually get wintergreen or something, but I doubt the mint would make much of a difference either. I tend to get heartburn when walking so I will often chew gum at the start of my walk or bring some with me just in case.

Old 03-10-2006, 09:40 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User

gum is bad it will bring up the acid from your stomache you will find your gerd to be worse after you spit it out

Old 03-30-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
(female)

shelley49001 HB User
Exclamation Re: Mint toothpaste

I would have to agree, I was diagnosed with GERD 10 years ago along with having IBS all my life and I have found that using mint toothpaste is just fine, after all you don't eat it, you spit it out! But, I chew minty sugar free gum all the time and I have found that it settles my stomach. You might also try putting a star peppermint in your glass of water and drinking it slowly, it has a soothing effect...I use to have it in my bottles when I was a baby and my mom said it worked great to calm me down when I was having an episode of IBS...You have to remember that all doctors have different opinions and you have to do for you what works the best, esp when one says no and the other says yes....Take it easy with whatever you do, I am a firm believer that they really don't have all the answers..

Closed Thread