It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
(female)

Biyak123 HB User
Question Burning Tongue-acid Reflux ?

I have Acid Reflux and I have a burning tongue along with a feeling of something stuck in my throat, a cough,poat nasal drip,shortness of breath, sore throat.

I have just had an endoscopy again and have a hiatal heria also. I am pn Pantoloc for Reflux. I do not get heart burn in my chest like some.

Has anyone with GERD had a burning tongue. I read that it can happen.These symptoms have been there for about 9 months but worse during the last few.

BIYA

The Following User Says Thank You to Biyak123 For This Useful Post:
Upside (05-06-2012)
Old 03-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Inactive

omysty HB User
Re: Burning Tongue-acid Reflux ?

hi,

I just had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with the same, the problem is can't tolerate the meds. What did they prescibe for you? I have that burning tongue as well, try Biotene toothpaste, that does help clears bacteria out of your mouth. You're not alone in this. The PPI should help with the tongue.

Dana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
(female)

Biyak123 HB User

I am on a PPI called Pantoloc(Pantoprazole). I was switched to Nexium for two weeks to see if the change from Pantoloc and back to it would help. The Pantoloc seemed to not work anymore. I am back on it now.

I do use Bioteine toothpaste and mouthwash. They help at the moment but the burning is back pretty quick.

How long have you had the burning and in a scale from 1-10 what would it be?

What other symptoms do you have?

BIYA

Old 03-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
Inactive

omysty HB User

Hi,

Depending on what I eat like 7. You can also get Biotene gum. I chew alot of gum and drink alot of water, that is supposed to help with the reflux. Have you had an endoscopy yet? I have hiatal hernia. I can't tolerate the meds, so I'm going back to GI tomorrow. Do you have exteme dryness? I have the fatigue, and I feel worse on the PPI and it doesnt last long anyway for me.Its very frustrating to say the last, and hard on the family, lately I have barely been able to function. You're not alone in this.

Dana

Old 03-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
(female)

feistygirl77 HB User

I, too, can't tolerate any of the high level meds out there. They all make me very sick (severe abdomen pain, nausea, headaches, etc). I also have ENT symptoms with my GERD which include sore tongue, burning in eyes and sinus area and sore throats daily. Right now I'm attempting to control it with the 2nd level meds like Pepcid and Axid. Unfortunately my body gets used to them after about 4-5 days and I have to switch back and forth (per my dr. suggestion). It really stinks!! I'm sick everyday either from heartburn or sinus/eye burning which usually ends up turning into one of those sick headaches.

Recently, though, I've slowly started to add some more natural things to my daily routine. I now take Acidophilus with breakfast, a digestive enzyme (not the kind with HCL!) with each meal and with the afternoon snack I take a Calcium Citrate and a MagOx.

It really is a pain that everyone is different and what works for one person can be a nightmare for another. I wish I could take one pill each day and be done with it. There is so much trial and error with this type of illness and it's very frustrating to say the least... but I'm sure you already know this!!

Keep posting all your ideas and stories! It's nice to hear of others struggling like I am. I hate being on this GERD bus alone!

Best of luck to us all!
~Feisty

Old 03-28-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
Inactive

omysty HB User

Hi Feisty,

I'm glad I'm not the only one either! I just saw my gi and my endoscopy biopsy was small inflammation, and thats amazing after 6 years!!! Im with you just Pepcid, and try Gaviscon, I have a great Gi and I feel if he isn't worried neither am I. I couldn't tolerate any of those PPIS, it isn't fun. especailly when you have the other symtoms to go along with them! I'm on that unfortunate bus!! Dana

Old 03-29-2006, 10:37 AM   #7
(female)

Elga HB User

Hello,

I also have the burning tongue, shortness of breath, cough, something stuck in throat. What part of your tongue is burning, for me it's the tip, I'm on Nexium, it helps except for the burning tongue.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
(female)

Biyak123 HB User

My tongue burns at the tip and on the sides. I am on Pantoloc a PPI.I was on Nexium for two weeks and back on the Pantoloc.

How bad is your burning on a scale of 1-10? Right now mine is about a 5-7 day and night.

I am on Clonazepam which is supposed to help but it isn't helping it right now.
I use Bioteine toothpaste and mouth wash BUT that is not much of a help.

BIYA

Last edited by Biyak123; 03-29-2006 at 12:46 PM.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
(female)

Elga HB User

In a scale from one to ten, I would say 9, pretty bad. It seems to get worst at night, and less in the morning, I'm on ativan, dosen't help either, wish there was something to ease that fire..

Old 05-05-2006, 10:32 AM   #10

herniagone HB User

Hey, I had the burning tongue and the acid reflux and the hiatal hernia. Before I read your post, I didn't think the burning tongue was related to the other two. But anyway, they're all gone now. I just wanted to tell everyone what I did because I remember being so miserable, looking for help. I had a persistant hiatal hernia brought on by pregnancy - I'd had it for two years and was pretty miserable. The good news is I think I found the right chiropractor - Dr. Brady of Brady Chiropractic in Lawrence, Kansas made my hiatal hernia, and thus my reflux go away. So I just wanted to put the word out there for anyone else who might be suffering as I was up till just two months ago. Dr. Brady did something called 'spinal decompression,' which is not for the faint of heart, and he also assigned a series of PT exercises for me to do to strengthen my spine. Within two weeks, the HH and the reflux were gone. He said he felt he could cure any hiatal hernia. So I just wanted to put the word out there to fellow HH sufferers. I'd been to two other chiropractors about my HH who did no real good. MD's were no help - one actually told me to quit eating broccoli. But Dr. Brady would probably be willing to talk to a chiro in your area or work something out to help you too.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:04 AM   #11
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

I have had this burning tongue on occasions. I also have a permanant jelly like substance stuck in my throat. It takes ages for the smallest amount to come up. Usually it just goes up and down in my throat. Its there at its worst first thing in the morning and only feels slightly better during the afternoon but comes back full force for the evening. I notice on these GERD threads hardly anyone mentions severe persistant nausea - you wake up with it and its there all day. Its the nausea and right sided pain that driving me nuts. I too cant tolerate PPI's they make me feel worse!

Old 05-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

When you guys refrer to a burning tongue what exactly does it feel like?Sometimes my tongue feels like it has a cold sore or canker sore and is painful but not burning.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:14 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I have had burning tongue too! I've only been having trouble since Jan, so I can only count on my hand how many times I've yet experienced it. YESTERDAY!

I awoke normally (as usual - morning is best for me), then - strangely - I had an apple for lunch (just starting my strict diet for 2 weeks - I'm not used to eating apples!), and noticed my tongue was "burning". I call it acid burn. It's not hurting as in thermal burn, but "STING-Y" (not as in miserly) as I call it, like a chemical burn. Acid. I think. Maybe in my case, bile (I have a bit too much bile in my gut and I've been on Nexium for 2 months). In any case, it is a "sting-y" burn. Like little stings all around - for me, it was mostly on the edges of my tongue yesterday. Best way I can describe it outside little pinpoint stings - "pins and needles", yet it burns a little.

Last edited by Ol'Line Rebel; 05-08-2006 at 06:16 AM.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #14
(female)

marcie23 HB User

I started experiencing burning tongue 2 mos ago. My lips, tongue & throat feel dry & irritated. I also burp alot. Some days are better than others. Some are miserable. My doc said it could be allergies or acid reflux. He recommended Pepcid and stay away from acid foods. I'm surprised this came out of nowhere so suddenly. And worry about permanent damage.

Closed Thread