It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #1
(male)

turtlespeed04 HB User
Unhappy Should I go to the hospital??

I was hospitalized about a month ago, i was in class and i felt like i was gonna faint. I was in the hospital for about 2 weeks, they ran all sorts of tests, Heart, Head, Blood, EKG, Stress tests. Everything come out normal, but the doctor said I might have had a faint spell, and I also might have mild acid reflux. Gave me prescription for protonix, but i couldn't afford it, so I never took it. Well Two weeks after that felt great or at least normal. Now just last week friday, my faintness or dizziness has resurfaced, also have the taste of acid in my mouth all the time, and stomach troubles associated with reflux. I feel even worse now, because now, i feel very tight in my neck and head and violent twitches, it feels like at any moment I'm going to pass out.
I want to go the hospital, but I'm a college student with no insurance(expired beggining of the year). Last time in the hospital, I recieved aid, but the Aid didn't cover doctor bills, which I now owe over 1,000 dollars. I have no job, and I don't want to worry my mom, becuase she is the only bread bearer in the family with 6 kids. I'm going to take care of the bill myself, but going to the hospital again will result in more bills. But I'm seriouly feeling bad, it's been over a week now, 24/7 pain, get's better for a couple of hours. I have only slept for like 3-4 hrs a day for a week now. School is stressing me out (grades, tuition, housing, social life). I have been going to class thru this pain. Do u guys think the head pains are a cause from the stress of the whole situation. Can acid reflux cause migrane like headaches and pains. I don't wanna go to the hospital, only for them to tell me they found nothing and everything is normal, and then send me another 1,000 dollar bill. Please I need ur help!! Anybody.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #2

Jennsie HB User
Re: Should I go to the hospital??

It sounds like you might have a pretty bad anxiety problem, which would be understandable considering your life situation. Anxiety can cause GERD or cause it to flare up...it can cause constant feelings of lightheadedness or detachment, stomach troubles, chest and throat tightness....

Have you tried going to a normal internal physician instead of going straight to a hospital? It can be a little less pricey. Does your school have a health center? Cances are if you got a relatively clean bill of health at the hospital once, it would come back the same way again.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
(male)

turtlespeed04 HB User

we have a health center, but u have to have student insurance, or pay for tests and such. I thought it might have been anxiety at first too. Because, i felt that dizziness, faint fellings on thursday, then on friday the reflux problems resurfaced. Thing is I am the kind of person who doesn't like to take risk. So i worry all the time, even simple things, I always want to make sure 100% of everything, before my mind can go to rest on the issue. My acid reflux doesn't burn either like most other victims. I just hate the taste of it, and I know it's bad for ur teeth as well.
This morning I woke up suddenly, breathing hard, my head was pulsating, and twitching, felt like brain spasms. I am now worried that something is wrong with my brain, like a tumor or something. but I had an MRI done bout 2 and a half weeks ago that said , everything is perfect. But I still continue to worry. I have never been ill in my life (except colds, headaches, rare fevers) no history of problems. I might just go to the hospital, and get the tests done, but ask to not speak to a doctor, cuz that's what they charge me for. what do ya think.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
(female)

TriciaR HB User

Sounds like you may have a lot of problems related to anxiety. Reflux is aggravated by anxiety for sure and can therefore be cyclical. Also, when the reflux comes all the way up to your throat you may have burning and pain which makes your breathing feel funny. You may be hyperventilating or having vocal chord dysfunction as a result of that. Hyperventilating would cause you to retain co2 and cause dizziness and vocal chord dysfunction which is often associated with laryngeal pharyngeal reflux causes the vocal chords to open and shut at the wrong times which could give you the dizzy feeling. Also do you have IBS which is also stress related which could cause sudden feelings of dizziness sometimes.

Try to relieve stress first if you can then try some of the over the counter reflux meds like prilosec which may be a lot cheaper than the prescribed meds. See if your doc can give you lots of samples the next time he prescribes something. Tell your doctor your situation and he or she will most likely be more sympathetic.

Try diet modification like less caffiene, no alcohol, no eating 3 hrs before bed, etc.

Are there any free clinics in your area? Ask at your college health center if they know of any. You shouldn't have to suffer like that in this country without getting some help.

Tricia R.

Closed Thread