It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 04:52 AM   #1

MaureenA HB User
esophageal spasms

I was wondering if anyone else has esophageal spasms? I have them & I take Imdur for them. I had a esophageal motility test a few weeks ago & part of the prep for the test was to stop taking my Nexium for a whole week before the test. Ever since the test & when I went back on the Nexium I havent been feeling well at all.
I was wondering if anyone else has these & what do you take to relieve them?

Old 04-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
(female)

vuitton HB User
Re: esophageal spasms

My son who's not on medication has these, and he said they are soooooo extremly painful. When he gets one, he chews up a Pepcid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
(female)

heytoots HB User

I just started having esophageal spasms approx. three weeks ago....and I am having a hard time dealing with them. Saw the Dr. and she is first starting with allergy meds...she thinks they could possibly be caused by a constant nasal drip that I have had for a while...non stop.

After that, if it doesn't relieve them, I probably will have to start with the testing, also. They are scary to have, all of a sudden, you feel like your swallowing over lumps, and it gets very tight. Hope someone comes up with some good tips or ideas on how to deal with them.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:55 PM   #4

MaureenA HB User

It is extremely painful. I am on Imdur now for them. So the ones I have now are no where as extreme as before I started taking the Imdur. But I was doing so good then to be off the nexium seems to have screwed up my system some.
I think when I see the Dr she will increase my Imdur.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:26 AM   #5
(female)

heytoots HB User

Hi Maureen,

Just curious.....why would the Dr. give you Imdur to take? Isn't that a heart medication for angina?

Also...just wanted to ask, do your spasms make you feel as though you are swallowing over "lumps" all the time?

I have a hiatal hernia also.....I wonder if this is a contributing factor????

Thanks
Barbara

Old 04-18-2006, 09:14 AM   #6

MaureenA HB User

Barbara, The gastro Dr prescibed Imdur ( It is a heart med), for the esophageal spasms. It helps decrease the pain of the spasms.
Before I started taking the Imdur my spasms we're tightness across my chest, with achiness in the center of my chest & often times the pain would radiate to my upper back.
It was TERRIBLE . The imdur changed my life & gave me relief.
This time I have the chest achiness only, And it has been ever since the test when I had to stop the nexium for a week.
So yes, Imdur is a heart med, but is also used for esophageal spasms.

Last edited by MaureenA; 04-18-2006 at 09:15 AM.

Closed Thread