It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jsquared HB User
Unhappy Does Gerd and Nasal Drip go hand in hand

For the last five months I have been have mild chest pain. At times in the morning when I breath in it feels like when I took a breath as a kid after playing on a smoggy day. My doctor performed an EKG on me and it came out fine. He believes it is Acid Reflux. A couple of weeks later I developed post nasal drip. I never have had allergies to pollen etc.. before. Could this stem from the Acid Reflux. The pains in my chest are more prominant a week before my period. Can anyone help answers some of my questions? :

Old 05-12-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Re: Does Gerd and Nasal Drip go hand in hand

You can develope allergies at any time in your life! I didn't have any allergies til I was in my 40's. The chest discomfort in the morning can be from acid reflux, you may be a nightime acid refluxer. Chest pain can be from numerous things including your post nasal drip, anxiety or you could also have asthma! They can all mimic each other. Did your Dr give you anything for the acid reflux? Since the chest pain is more prominent just before your period makes me think anxiety could be a big factor there!

Last edited by NancyH; 05-12-2006 at 08:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2006, 09:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jsquared HB User

Thanks for the reply Nancy. I did get something for the acid reflux. I stopped taking it becuase I am trying to get pregnant. Do you think the anticipation of wondering if my period is going to come has to do with the chest pain? I have had anxiety before and recongnize it, but I did not think these chest pains were really related. Thanks for the insight.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:36 AM   #4
(male)

FoolsGold HB User

My understanding is that Post Nasal Drip Syndrome is so ill-defined as to be virtually useless as a diagnostic classification.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

It can only be used in conjunction with other symptoms! It is a contributor to a host of medical conditions, one of which is acid reflux!

Old 05-16-2006, 06:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyH
It can only be used in conjunction with other symptoms! It is a contributor to a host of medical conditions, one of which is acid reflux!

Contributor? Are you saying it can cause acid-reflux disease, or just that it can aggravate extant ARD(GERD)? (I can certainly believe the latter.)

BTW, I've had sinus problems all my life, allergies, sinusitis, general congestion. But I've never had it non-stop and not quite feeling the way it normally does. For me it now feels almost always down low, not high up by my mouth. Hence I suspect it's just acid/bile/contents come up and sitting there.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

apparently aggravates gerd. I've had sinus problems for 20 yrs and most of the time it is 24/7! Same with my gerd. My Dr gave me antibiotics one time and it helped with the reflux. so yep sinus problems can actually aggravate your gerd. I notice when my sinuses are acting up my gerd is worse, go figure.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Nancy, this doesn't surprise me at all, having had bad colds/sinusitis where the phlegm drips down into your stomach and irritates it. Often as a result when I have mere colds I likewise lose my appetite because my stomach feels blah.

I'm sure as far as GERD, if one's esophagus is irritable, the sinus (especially infected sinus) will similarly irritate it. And irritate the stomach to possibly cause more burping to help bring the stomach contents back up. Wonderful.

Of course, this is pure speculation.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:32 PM   #9
(male)

Mauler HB User

I have been on corticosteroid sprays for the last 3 years for sinus issues. I've also been on 2 150 mg Ranitidine (generic zantac) for acid reflux. In June I decided to quit taking the steroid nasal spray because I still kept getting sinus headaches and then after that my acid reflux symptoms got much worse.

I haven't had many sinus issues all summer so I was glad to be off of the Flonase but even more upset by having daily (most of the day) heartburn. It would get so bad that even though I knew it was heartburn it would cause an anxiety attack. Up until this summer, I never had much heartburn. I'd only get light heartburn after eating really bad stuff.

The last two months have been hell for me. Then last week, my sinus headaches came back full blast so I started taking Flonase again. On the 8th day of Flonase, I suddenly went the whole day without heartburn. On the 9th day, I had heartburn for a few minutes after going a long time between meals but a Zantac took care of it. Now I'm on the 10th day and I haven't had heartburn.

I'm starting to think that my post-nasal drip (which increased after stopping Flonase) is what caused my heartburn to be so bad this summer.

I'll report later if my suspicions are correct.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:56 AM   #10
(male)

Mauler HB User

Update: I haven't had any heartburn for the last 4 days. I've also been eating a regular diet (including bad stuff).

I haven't had or needed any antacids for 6 days.

Before this last week, I was taking almost the maximum daily dose of antacids just to get through the day even when I was on PPIs and a very bland diet. Now I'm not getting heartburn at all.

I know that most of us have different reasons for our heartburn, but if you do have post-nasal drip and you're not taking anything for it, seriously consider giving Flonase a try. Somehow working to help my post-nasal drip has caused my stomach and esophagus to start acting right.

Last edited by Mauler; 08-25-2006 at 06:57 AM.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I agree, there is always something that aggravates GERD, post nasal drip, sinusitis are just a few to mention. When my sinuses are acting up the acid reflux is positively horrible and when sinuses are good so is the reflux!!

Old 08-25-2006, 07:18 PM   #12
(female)

tissie1 HB User

I have missed the last two weeks of work because I have been so sick. Guess what two things I have been treating.... acid reflux and a sinus infection!!!! ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Old 01-27-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
(female)

Shgar HB User

My worst two episodes with Acid Reflux have been either following or along with sinus infection. There is definitely a connection. Wish someone would figure out the cure.

Sue

Closed Thread