It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
(female)

selfadvocate HB User
Question ear pain primary symptom of GERD?

I've had ear pain for over 3 months and have seen ENTs and allergy MDs. With no ear signs for them to diagnose, I've heard everything from TMJ, to migraines, to perimenopause to GERD. I have a history of GERD and in the last month of the 3 months with ear pain, have reflux symptoms and an upper GI confirmed GERD. However, the ear pain persists. Does anyone with GERD have EAR PAIN as the PRIMARY symptom?

Old 05-18-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
(female)

viblakah HB User
Re: ear pain primary symptom of GERD?

First off... are you on meds for your gerd? If not, you should be. I was told for a couple of years that I had fluid on my ears and was always given medicine for my sinuses. My ears used to ring all the time and I always felt dizzy. I now realize that if was due to my reflux. Since I have been on meds for the most part, all of my symptoms have disappeared. I still have post nasal drip, but I know its because of my reflux. It still amazes me because I now realize that this has all been brewing for years and no one caught it until it was so severe (I have lpr) I never had heartburn or any of the common symptoms. Just all these little things here and there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
(female)

Elga HB User

hello,
I don't have ear eache form LPR, but have ear problems (dizzy, ringing, balance). For me taking Nexium has not changed any of these problems.
I have started the ear problems 3 years ago, the LPR was just diagnosed but have been suffering from it for a few years before consulting about it.

viblakah, can I ask you what you are taking for your LPR maybe I could try them. Thanks for responding

Elga

Old 05-19-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
(female)

viblakah HB User

For the first month and a half I took aciphex twice a day. Then for 2 months I took prilosec in the am and aciphex in the pm. My insurance is finally paying for aciphex twice a day and that is what I am taking now.

Old 05-20-2006, 04:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

SelfAdvocate,

You said you have a history of GERD - are you currently on a PPI? Which one? If you have LPR (where acid gets into your throat and sinuses) it could theoretically cause ear pain. While ear pain wasn't exactly a symptom of mine, I had horrendous sinusitis caused by the acid before I was diagnosed. To see if acid reflux is indeed causing the ear pain, why not just try the pharmaceutical regimen for LPR and diagnose it indirectly? LPR (the respiratory tract form of GERD) requires a dose of 2 PPIs per day. Not 1, but 2. If in the U.S. you choices are Nexium, Aciphex, Prevacid and Protonix, all by prescription. Skip the Prilosec OTC, it's not very good for LPR.

If you respond to the medication (and it could take 1 day - several months), you likely have LPR.

Especially if the doctors have not been able to diagnose a bacterial infection causing the earache.

However, you should definatetly see an ENT and get scoped. The ENT can use a small probe (in-office) to look at your larynx and see if it is red and swollen - this is usually a diagnosis for acid getting into your throat.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
(female)

selfadvocate HB User

Thanks aswander. I am currently on Prilosec (prescription) twice a day. It's been a week and I will definitely stay on it for a while; however, I'm still having ear pain. I know that may take time. I'm worried because the ear pain was present 3 months before the suggestion of GERD (I have no symptoms of it either). My Upper GI showed GERD, not LPR. Thanks again =)

Old 05-20-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
(female)

selfadvocate HB User

Was your LPR diagnosed with an Upper GI or an endoscopy? I had an Upper GI and the Radiologist said she saw my reflux lower, GERD, not LPR.

Thanks for the info. I hope in a couple of weeks all my ear stuff will disappear!

Old 05-20-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

How can the Radiologist tell what's what from the pictures? What does GERD look like?

Old 05-21-2006, 07:04 AM   #9
(female)

selfadvocate HB User

GERD stands for GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease. It's when there's a backward motion of stomach contents into the esophagus. Normally, the food goes from your mouth, to your esophagus into your stomach and then downward further into the small and then large intestines. During an Upper GI, you drink barium which coats these structures and lights them up so to speak. This way, the radiologist can follow the fluid downward. In my case and others with GERD, the fluid comes back up once it hits the stomach, thru the sphincter into the esophagus. In LPR, it happens higher up. Hard to believe this effects the ears with so much pain. Supposedly, it's due to the referred pain from the throat to the ears.

Last edited by selfadvocate; 05-21-2006 at 07:05 AM.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:52 AM   #10
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

Hi
How is it then that my barium came back fine but I was still labelled acid reflux disorder? I had an endsocopy after that which was also fine but they took a biopsy of my duodenum for "absorption"? Is this normal practice?
thanks

Closed Thread