It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2006, 08:12 AM   #1
(female)

kattjo5220 HB User
Axid AR? Can't find it

Hello everyone~
I am looking for Axid AR and cannot find it anywhere.
I have been on Pepcid, Tagamnet, Zantac, Nexium, Prilosec OTC & RX all with side effects. I am not ready to try another PPI because I think the dosages are too high for me. My GI won't try me on a smaller dose or child's dose. I have horrid side effects from all of them. I also am very med sensitive. I take an 1/8 - 1/4 of a teaspoon of children's benedryl at night to sleep. If I get sick I take 1/4 tsp of childrens sudafed. These doses work well for me and GI won't listen. Anyway I wanted to try Axid AR OTC and I remember seeing it at the stores a couple of yrs ago and now I cannot find it? Has it been removed? Like pulled because of problems?
Is anyone else here taking it now?

Zantac was the only thing that worked for my reflux but it gave me pretty bad joint pain & swelling, in every joint. Tagament was ok but caused depression, I could cut the tagament too. Pepcid, nothing but stomach pain, Prilosec= migrane & severe back pain, sigh......

Thanks for any info anyone may have, I am going back to my Google search

Katt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
Re: Axid AR? Can't find it

For some strange reason I seem to remember (and I could be wrong) that Axid was discontinued. I too am very med. sensitive and started to read up about all of the medication available for us and I came across Axid too. I haven't seen it in the stores, and after I'm done with this posting I'm going to check on line to see what's up with this drug. Being med. sensitive, I went through most of the same drugs you did. Nothing but trouble for me. I am relying right now on Gaviscon. Gaviscon seems to fare well in my body and have been useful. I also went to the healthfood store and bought liquid acidophilus which I was told soothes the intestines, etc and for some strainge reason, I am feeling better. I have not been diagnosed with anything b/c I have not seen a gastroenterologist. I only went to my GP who gave me Prevacid. Not being able to take it, I decided to take matters into my own hands A few weeks ago I was really suffering with acid in the middle of thie night, waking up nauseous, with that lousy acid taste in my mouth, but for the past few nights, following a diet without carbs, sugar and eating vegetables, chicken, turkey and everyone unembellished, I am finding myself feeling better and sleeping throught the night without the misery. So, If you havent tried Gaviscon, why don't you give it a try. Not knowing your problem, I can only tell you what has helped me. Good Luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Looly For This Useful Post:
daviskingskid (04-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

For some strange reason I seem to remember (and I could be wrong) that Axid was discontinued. I too am very med. sensitive and started to read up about all of the medication available for us and I came across Axid too. I haven't seen it in the stores, and after I'm done with this posting I'm going to check on line to see what's up with this drug. Being med. sensitive, I went through most of the same drugs you did. Nothing but trouble for me. I am relying right now on Gaviscon. Gaviscon seems to fare well in my body and have been useful. I also went to the healthfood store and bought liquid acidophilus which I was told soothes the intestines, etc and for some strainge reason, I am feeling better. I have not been diagnosed with anything b/c I have not seen a gastroenterologist. I only went to my GP who gave me Prevacid. Not being able to take it, I decided to take matters into my own hands A few weeks ago I was really suffering with acid in the middle of thie night, waking up nauseous, with that lousy acid taste in my mouth, but for the past few nights, following a diet without carbs, sugar and eating vegetables, chicken, turkey and everyone unembellished, I am finding myself feeling better and sleeping throught the night without the misery. So, If you havent tried Gaviscon, why don't you give it a try. Not knowing your problem, I can only tell you what has helped me. Good Luck.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
(female)

kattjo5220 HB User

I think I will call the pharmacy and find out. I cannot find anything online about it. It is sold online thru my local drugstore but it says "sold out"
hmmmm...
When I find out I will post
Thanks, Katt

Old 06-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
(female)

kattjo5220 HB User

Well I did find Axid AR at my local drugstore squeezed next to all the other meds getting ready to expire next month. I bought some anyway and will maybe try it next week when my husband will be on vacation. The pharmacist said all I could do was try it and see if I have a reaction. It appears that not that many people take it.

Katt

Old 06-12-2006, 01:00 PM   #6
(female)

Socs HB User

WALMART HAS THEM..That's the only place I can find them..

Old 06-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
(female)

kattjo5220 HB User

You take them? I bought some but I am afraid to take them. I have so many side effects. I am trying pepcid complete right now, I know its not enough but at least I can cut them and take a small amount. Of course I am having side effects, dry mouth, funny taste in my mouth, ick!

Katt

Old 06-12-2006, 07:07 PM   #8
(female)

Socs HB User

I do take them when I run out of my aciphex..Sometimes I'll take one before dinner anyway..They seem to have the least amount of side effects from all of the OTC's I have tried..I've never had any side effects at all from axid..

Closed Thread