It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Raising head of bed for GERD

My GI doctor told me I needed to raise the head of my bed 4-6 inches to help with my acid reflux. He said just raising my head with pillows or using a wedge are not as effective because they through the esophogus out of allignment. I found some blocks to raise my bed 5 inches. I have been sleeping this way for the last 2 1/2 months. I am still having trouble adjusting to sleeping on the incline. It is kind of difficult to really relax because I feel like I am sliding. Every morning when I wake up, my feet are hanging off the bed. I really don't like tucking my sheets in around the base of the bed. Does anyone else have difficulty sleeping on the incline? What are your experiences with this? Any suggestions--I really don't like waking up with my feet dangling?

The good news is that between the bed, meds, diet, etc... my reflux isn't as bad as it was in February so I am reluctant to put my bed back flat.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:35 AM   #2
(male)

pohaku HB User
Re: Raising head of bed for GERD

Yea, I had exactly the same thing like you, I just took out the blocks and back on the old way, I now use diet and madicine to control my night Gerd. I am using Zegerid and seems work for me. no beer and I missed it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 05:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I'm not sure I need to do so (I'm not even sure I have real reflux DISEASE, either GERD or LPRD), but when my regular doc speculated I have reflux disease, I already had my bed on 6" cinder blocks for incline! LOL. It is for my husband in hopes of reducing his snoring. We've been sleeping this way for some 8 mos. now (I've been suffering for 4+ mos).

Yes, it's bothersome in some ways, but generally it doesn't bug me much. It bugs me less for sleep than it does for waking every-day activities. Silly things like wanting to sit anywhere on the bed while preparing to dress. Especially annoying because I had a butt problem (which probably led to my reflux problems) which doesn't like to be out of alignment. So I mostly use the foot of the bed for sitting so I can sit straight!

As far as sleeping, yes, we (and the mattress) slide a bit. It just doesn't bug me much, except for the fact I end up further from my alarm clock than I started, etc. 1 thing that helps is to use friction - bending at your knees so your calves are perpendicular to your body really increases the drag area and you can't really slide.

As for the idea about not using wedges - it makes sense. Actually, the reason is you are bending your stomach, which increases the upward pressure on it and the sphincter. Essentially it's like having gas - you've made your stomach more tense and it pushes upward. Not good.

Unfortunately, the concept of wedges and pillows still swirls around these fora even from people who've suffered for years and have posted 1000 times. They might be a half-decent substitute when you're traveling, but not at home.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
(male)

gnznroses HB User

my bed is raised over a foot.... i got used to it tho. and it still doesn't help much if at all...

Old 06-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
(male)

Outlaw1979 HB User

I have mine raised also I agree dosent help much nut least i know my head is up when i reflux at night...

Old 06-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
(male)

JPaul542 HB User

My doctor told me the same thing and I raised the head of our bed 7" for a while. My wife could not sleep that way and it didn't seem to be any better than the wedge pillows I used before, so I went back to a flat bed.
Actually the pillows are about the same as a hospital bed with the head raised, but I have to sleep on my back. If I try to sleep on either side, I get the reflux.

Closed Thread