It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 10:43 PM   #1
(male)

SteveGn HB User
Possible help for GERD sufferers the natural way!

It may be worth it to you to go under the "digestive disorders" forum and read the first "sticky" at the very top entitled "GERD Sufferers - let me tell you what I found out... (or something similar to that) by bluepumkin. There appears to be many who are having success with the supplement being discussed. Some are no longer needing their meds. Maybe the moderators will move that "sticky" over to this forum since it seems to relate more to the problems here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
(male)

SteveGn HB User
Re: Possible help for GERD sufferers the natural way!

The supplement being discussed is magnesium. There is a book called "The Miracle Of Magnesium" which seems to be helping many people. Helping with acid reflux is just one of the benefits. Usually a magnesium deficiency won't show up in the usual blood testing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

Interesting. I've been taking magnesium daily for years and haven't noticed any improvement on my GERD/digestive issues. But then maybe I'd be feeling a lot worse if I stopped taking it.
I also take RACV, DGL licorice, aloe vera, anything that will help my poor body heal and function better that's natural.
I'm not saying nothing works, because if I believed that I'd throw everything in the trash and save some money, but I sure don't feel 100%. It's a combination of careful eating, keeping the stress down, exercise, and supplements and (for me) occasional "dr. medicine".

Old 07-14-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
(male)

Given2Fly HB User

I just read all 120+ posts in that thread, and immediately ran out to pick up some. I picked up cacium/magnesium 1000mg calcium, 400mg magnsium. And took one tonight, and will start the 3x a day tomorow. I'm very hopeful that this will work as there were no complaints of negative side effects for this unlike the RACV, and seemed to work for just about all who tried it. It was really cheap too, about $4.00 for 100 pills. and they are nice and small, and easy to swallow. I'm going to continue to take my prevacid though, maybe if this helps a lot, i'll drop down to 1 per day.

I'll keep everyone updated as to how well this is working. **crossing fingers**

Old 07-14-2006, 09:27 PM   #5
(male)

SteveGn HB User

Given2fly, Hope it works out for you. The calcium helps with the utilization of the magnesium and from what I've been reading, vitamin D is needed for proper calcium absorption. I keep seeing zinc mixed in with some of the magnesium/calcium capsules that you can buy, so I suppose it is needed also. This evening at the health food store I was able to find a softgel that had 1,000 mg calcium, 500 mg magnesium, 200 IU vit D, and 10 mg zinc, per 3 softgels (recommended daily dosage on bottle). I've also read that softgels should be refrigerated, so I do that for safe measure.

I actually don't have an acid reflux problem but was doing some research on it because a couple of my nieces have it. They've been on Nexium for years I believe, and one of them had to be admitted into the hospital for a couple days because of severe stomach pains. Don't know if there's a connection there but it seems others on this forum are developing problems from this med also. Take care.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
(male)

Given2Fly HB User

I'm so incredibly happy to report that I feel so much better now. While the magnesium/calcium hasn't cured me, it has made a difference to the point in that short amount of time that I've cut my dosage of Prevecid in half with no increase in symptoms. I now only take one prevecid in the morning before breakfast, and a cal/mag pill with every meal. It doesn't get rid of that bloated feeling but has cut down on the amount if time I feel that way. The tightness/lump feeling in my throat has significantly been reduced to where I barely even notice it anymore, only when my throat gets dry. I even ate 2 slices of 4 cheese pizza the other day, all it did was make that bloated feeling last a little longer, but still went away with no pain, or gaging from the reflux. I am so happy, for the last few months I have been so depressed, now I feel like there has actually been some progress. I'm hoping as weeks pass, I'll start feeling completely normal again. I'll post again in a week or so with more results.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

That's great news - yes please post again and let us know if this is still working for you.

Closed Thread