It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

karen7 HB User
Upper Back Pain With Reflux, So Painful

I have been taking Prevacid for 3 years. I had an endoscopy last month and still have slight irritation. I follow most of the rules and have my bed raised. I know when I eat chocolate and the other offenders, it acts up. However, even when I am eating correctly sometimes I get a lot of burping...nothing comes up but the pain is worse in my upper back between the shoulder blades. When I burp it improves so I am almost sure it's from gas. I also get the gas pains in my face and jaw. SO uncomfortable. I'd like to know if anyone else gets this awful back pain and what you do for it and if you are on any medications, if so, which one. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
(male)

moesciphish HB User
Re: Upper Back Pain With Reflux, So Painful

I'm having horrible deep back pains... I'm not on anything.. my PCP want's me to try muscle relaxers.. but I hate those things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

I also have the burping and what feels like heartburn/indegestion. I can feel it in my throat alot. I have been having horrible jaw pains the last few days along with the heartburn feeling. Tums dont seem to be helping though i actually have been worrying that it is something with my heart. I went to the ER a few months ago with the pain between the shoulder blades, i still get that also but today it seems to be in my left shoulder and jaw its really annyoing me.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
(female)

Lexijones99 HB User

I have the pain in my back, too. Mostly by my right shoulder blade. That's why the doctor was first looking at my gallbladder. It's not as bad since I'm taking the Prilosec 2x/day, but I still get it at times. Sometimes it feels like something is stabbing me and actually takes my breath away and stops me dead in my tracks. I also have the burning pain in my back when I eat something I shouldn't.

I get twinges of pain in my jaw and had no idea it was from the reflux.

Old 06-23-2006, 04:16 AM   #5
(female)

benzos HB User

I have back right lung area pain every day. It heps a bit if I press my back into something like the back of a chair or a pillow. I gave up on painkillers because I dont want to take extra strong stuff and normal painkillers dont work. I just put up with it. Must admit it gets worse if I am hunched over so I am getting a better supporting chair for using the pc!!!

Benzos

Old 06-23-2006, 10:13 AM   #6

Birchbeer6 HB User

Yesterday.....I had severe pain (indigestion) in my stomach and went to my back.....I couldnt sit, stand or do anything.....finally after hours is subsided....Im still now waiting for my dr. to call me back.....Ive had indgestion for a long time and never expierenced that in my life...it scared me to death....I was going to go to the ER if it didnt ease up......Now Im afraid to eat......what is it

Old 06-25-2006, 04:24 AM   #7

theworrier HB User

I get this too...in fact it started before the bad indigestion..it felt almost muscular but it sure was painful

Old 06-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #8

tm3912 HB User

I also get the terrible back pain everyday starting about midday and usually have the burning in the sternum directly across. I'm wondering though when does everyone seem to have these back pain?

For me when I first get up in the morning for about 2-3 hours everything is great, no GERD no back pain. As the day wears on I develop both, every day. I'm not sure if the GERD is causing the back or the back is causing the GERD (not sure how that would work but...) by the end of the day all I can do is get home and lay on the sofa to relieve the pain.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
(female)

karen7 HB User

The pain from the GERD is radiating to the back. I remember once I swallowed a hard piece of bread crust and it hurt in my upper back as it was going down. This back pain is so annoying, harder to relieve than the heartburn but the same drugs help it. I usually have something hot like ginger or chamomile tea and a Tums or two. No particular time of the day for me.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #10
(female)

abiesgirl HB User
Unhappy Re: Upper Back Pain With Reflux, So Painful

I also have acid reflux and have the pain in my upper back and also in my jaw at times. This has gone of since 2003 does not seem to get worse but also after being on Aciphex for most of that time does not get better either. I can understand the back pain but sure don't get the jaw pain

Old 06-29-2006, 03:32 PM   #11
(female)

karen7 HB User

Thanks to everyone who replied. Abiesgirl, do you get the pain just when you've had a little too much acid causing foods or just from nowhere? I don't understand the jaw pain either but read it on some website or message board, so it seems like we're not the only ones. I guess it's the nerve pathways. I hate when I feel it in my jaw and face, it is really hard to focus on anything else and br with people in a good mood...you just want to go home and be alone. I do anyway! Like you, even with the Prevacid, I get this occasionally. And even with Prevacid, the dr. saw some esophageal irritation recently on an endoscopy. I don't know what else we can all do to get rid of this. I thought the PPIs we're taking would solve the problem.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:21 PM   #12

tm3912 HB User

abiesgirl,

I get the jaw pain also, that is one of the reasons i thought it was my heart for so long. I would also get left arm pain. All of this caused anxiety, which probably caused more nervousness, which caused more
gerd symptoms which caused more anxiety...

Karen,

"I hate when I feel it in my jaw and face, it is really hard to focus on anything else and br with people in a good mood...you just want to go home and be alone."

Man did you hit it on the head with that statement. I was having lunch with my son today and had an attack, all i wanted to do was go home and be alone...I felt terrible as he probably thinks I didn't want to be there. My poor wife whenever we go out I'm sure I'm going to get these chest pain, jaw pain, etc (Gerd/anxiety) and all I want to do is go home...and be alone. Even when I'm home I just want to be left alone to "diagnosis" every pain I have and wonder if it's going to be a bad night or not.

I'm getting better forcing myself to not rush home and to try and ignore the pain whenit happens to not ruin everyone elses life...but it is hard. Keep your head up and keep trying, hopefully it will get better for all of us.

Old 07-02-2006, 06:27 PM   #13
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

Hopefully this post will help others here.

I have suffered from esophageal spasms due to acid reflux for 16 years. I'm a very small person. 5'3 105 pds, athletic, non drinker, non smoker, consistant blood pressure of 103-110/58-64, pulse ranges in mid 60's.

Anyway....I have taken Xanax .05mg on a PRN basis over the course of these 16 years, whenever I had a bad attack. The first 3 sent me to the ER thinking I was having a massive heart attack. They have tried me on every proton pump inhibitor that has been released over the years, but I cannot tolerate them. So I learned to stay away from the known antagonists....ie...caffeine, spicey foods, greasy foods, citrus, yada yada yada.

Thursday evening around 5pm, we ate at a well known chain restaurant....I had loaded baked potato soup and a yeast roll. About 9pm I started feeling some burning in my chest. I took a xanax and tried to relax and forget it. By 11pm I had severe chest pain radiating into my left jaw, shoulder and wrist. The pain was so intense I started feeling sick at my stomach, sweating, etc. I kept telling myself.....it's acid reflux.....it's not a heart attack....you've been thru the tests before.....

By 7am.....I was exhausted.....pale and no better. Called my internist...and was told to report to ER immediately. They rushed me into a room and started a line in my hand, did EKG, gave me 4 baby aspirin to chew up and sprayed nitro glycerin under my tongue. They drew blood for heart enzymes. EKG was reading normal. Sent me to ultrasound for gallbladder, liver,pancreas, right kidney ultrasound.

Back to ER holding room to await results. Doc comes in and say's gallbladder is "pristine". Not even 1 gallstone. And my heart enzymes are perfect as well. Chest pain is starting to return. They give me another shot of nitro under my tongue and give me a GI cocktail (liquid maalox and .05mg Xanax). Within 2 minutes I start feeling really bad....both arms go numb and my heart feels like it's laboring. My blood pressure dropped to 90/47. Doc said it's ok....this is actually good, if it was cardiac.....nitro would not drop your bottom number. Within a few more minutes....those sensations went away. Now they come in and do a chest xray. She comes back in and say's chest xray is normal, but they are admitting me for at least 24 hours for observation....but she feels it's gastrointestinal. Up to the cardiac floor I go. Next morning, Sat, yesterday, they schedule me for a 10 minute treadmill stress test. Aced that...cardiologist said "I'll see you when your 90".

Now it's back into the wheelchair and down to GI for an endoscopy.
OH I HATE THAT TEST!!!!!!!!! Gag city. Results show healthy pink tissue in esophagus, and hiatial hernia still small. Final diagnosis.....massive esophageal spasms due to acid reflux. Instructions to continue xanax for spasms, and now an added pain medication for the severe chest/back/jaw pain. I'm sitting here typing....with chest pain. I guess the southwestern cobb salad I had for lunch today is disagreeing with me.

Hopefully my experience will help some of you with the anxiety side of our condition.

Last edited by Vickie306; 07-02-2006 at 07:33 PM.

Old 07-02-2006, 06:42 PM   #14
(female)

karen7 HB User

Vickie, that's some story! I am glad you're ok but that doesn't change the fact that you (and I) get these awful pains. Do you get them radiating to your back like I do though?

Also you say you can't take proton pump inhibitors but what about the milder things like Zantac? What happened when you took the PPIs that you can't take them anymore?

Thanks for the reply. I find it interesting that they call the pains spasms and that xanax works for them. I have klonopin here but never took it (just for anxiety "emergencies" which never happen).

Old 07-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #15
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

Hi Karen. Yes the pain radiates to my back...between my shoulder blades. It's doing it right now along with the chest pain. Back in 1990 they tried me on Zantac, and it did nothing. Prilosec caused severe abdominal pain. Next they tried Aciphex...that gave me terrible diarreah, Prevacid made my face and lips swell. At the hospital yesterday the gastro gave me a scrip for Nexium. I have not filled it. And I'm not sure I'm going too.....as every other PPI has caused unacceptable sides effects.

The reason it's called esophageal spasm is because the acid actually causes the muscle of the esophagus to go into a spasm. Since this sits directly over the chest wall...it mimics a massive heart attack in almost everyway. But once diagnostic tests rule out cardiac as the cause...they can diagnose esophageal spasm. Like IBS.....esophageal spasms can only be diagnosed once other disease is ruled out.

Xanax is a central nervous system suppresent....therefore it by nature relaxes muscle. Most of the time that alone stops the symptoms within 10 minutes. In all these years I have never had to increase the strength or dosage. But within the last 2 weeks, I have had 2 of the worst attacks in my 16 year history. The xanax didn't put a dent in it. So now, I guess it's going to be xanax and pain medication if it starts to get to bad.

Last edited by Vickie306; 07-02-2006 at 07:27 PM.

Closed Thread