It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 03:48 AM   #1
(female)

benzos HB User
Panic Attack sufferers and GERD

I dont know if anyone has heard of the connection between panic attacks and GI problems? I have just been reading all about it. I am going to do a bit more research on this one as I suffer wth panics. The article I just read also relates to IBS. It talks of a condition set up by panic disorder. Apparently Carafate is recommended. If anyone wants to know more I'd be happy to tell you more details.

Benzos

Old 06-24-2006, 06:39 AM   #2
(female)

kattjo5220 HB User
Re: Panic Attack sufferers and GERD

I would like to hear about this.. I was just prescribed carafate but I haven't taken it yet, I am a big chicken when it comes to meds...

In my case I think my upper GI problems caused my panic/anxiety and not the other way around. Especially since I have atypical symptoms as well as silent reflux.

Now I have had IBS D for about 15 years but as the upper GI problems began my IBS got better, It is my belief that my lower GI is causing my upper GI problems, who knows....

Thanks, Katt

Last edited by moderator2; 06-25-2006 at 07:26 AM. Reason: If you are the first person to reply to a post, please do not quote the post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2006, 07:14 AM   #3
(male)

moesciphish HB User

That's weird... I too suffer from panics, but don't know if it was the chicken or the egg...I also throughout many years have had bad lower GI problems, but once the upper GI started, I became quite regular and haven't really had the D problems. Though, I did also stop smoking, so that may have helped too. I am also a chicken and haven't tried the zelnorm I was prescribed for slow gastric emptying...which is supposed to help some for IBS also. The funny thing is... when I get up in the morning and empty my bowels, I can literally feel things begin to move again in my intestines and stomach. One GI doc told me that most of the time GI problems all orginate from the bowels. I'm pretty sure the panic started with my upper GI problems because it's such a scary thing to have strange unexplainable pain and sensations in your chest. My latest is horrible acute back pains that then spread to my entire back where my back feels electrified or like its on fire or like it is constantly moving. I'm having a chest CT today to see if it is anything serious.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
(female)

benzos HB User

Well this article dates back to 1999 so its been a theory for quite a while. It is thought that panic related GI problems with IBS and GERD problems as the main ones are due to abnormality of bile flow. This Carafate binds to the bile and helps the condition. Abnormality of bile flow with panic disorder has been documented but is not well known by most clinicians. Psyciaitrists dont recognise the GERD/IBS relation to panic and thats why it remains totally a gastro enterology problem.
PPIs help but apparently the caustic bile continues to cause gatric symptoms (is this why so many people are not 100% relived by PPI's) The Carafate would only be effective if the GERD/IBS is part of the panic disorder syndrome.

Its a good way to rule it out if you suffer with panic. It does however seem to go on quite a bit about diarrhoea and fecal incontinence (I've got the opposite most of the time!)

Still searching for more

Benzos

Last edited by benzos; 06-24-2006 at 09:10 AM.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
(female)

kattjo5220 HB User

That is interesting, I started my carafate today but I only took 1/2 of the pill this morning. I like to try small doses to see if I react. So far so good. My new family doc gave it to me. I don't know why my GI doc never offered it. I am feeling pretty darn good right now.

I found something interesting about the IBS D called Habba Syndrome. From what I understand it is a cause of IBS D that has to do with bile salts and your gallbladder. Like if you primarily have severe attacks of D right after eating that is what it could be. I am of the mind that I may have like a bile reflux, who knows...

I know with the IBS dx I was always told I must have anxiety and thats why I have IBS. Whatever! I didn't have any anxiety or panic until the upper GI crap started.

Katt

Old 06-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
(female)

benzos HB User

Just makes you wonder how many of us sufferers, especially the ones whose PPI's are not doing the job, maybe have bile problems.

I have also just read that IBS and GERD is likely to precede panic disorder!

Benzos

Last edited by benzos; 06-24-2006 at 11:48 AM.

Old 06-24-2006, 12:08 PM   #7
(female)

benzos HB User

Did read this related to panic disorder
Reflux of acid or bile, nausea, vomiting, projectile vomiting, reflux asthma, reflux sinusitis, irregularity, spasms, burning or aching pain, bleeding, sensitivity to specific foods (triggering gut symptoms or symptoms from any of the other groups listed here), constipation, diarrhea, incontinence, urinary frequency, spastic bladder, excess secretion of bile, insufficient secretion of pancreatic enzymes

Benzos

Last edited by moderator2; 06-25-2006 at 07:24 AM.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:56 AM   #8
(female)

suncat HB Usersuncat HB User

Benzos -
That's interesting. I have LPR but have been having more lower abdominal/bladder symptoms lately....low abdominal pain/ back and bladder pain. Cystoscopy of the bladder ruled out any issues but they think it is probably interstitial cystitis which I refuse to believe because I don't have bladder frequency and I think this is all related to the LPR and PPI's somehow. I just wish they'd find a cure for LPR, it's such a devastating disease.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:30 AM   #9
(male)

moesciphish HB User

Makes sense, I hope someone gives this doc some money for more study. For as debilitating as this disease is, there really doesn't seem like alot of available options for it. I honestly do not want to be on PPI's the rest of my life. There is such a thing as too little stomach acid, which has been shown to cause gastric cancer. I think my next step is getting a stool study because of some problems. Would excess bile show up in this? I know it's supposed to turn feces green when bile isn't properly adhering to stool, which I had for two days but might have been from blueberry yogurt, but is there any other sign of excess bile in stools?

Last edited by moesciphish; 06-25-2006 at 06:33 AM.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:22 AM   #10
(female)

benzos HB User

Wow, it that right? My stools appear greenish and I didnt know that! Does anyone know the test for bile? Is it just a blood test?? I personally could be onto something here.

Benzos

Old 06-25-2006, 02:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

All this sounds like it comes from Dr. Shipko's theory of CCK being excreted both when triggered by fatty stuff, and by certain "brain waves". Don't quote me; it's just something like that (look up "Shipko-bile-reflux" and you should find his article about it).

As for green stools, I've had them alot since just before I knew something was terribly wrong with me. The doctor wasn't concerned, and if you look up stool color you'll see most description of it is that it's benign and mostly probably just stool going through you too quickly to thoroughly change color (sounds like IBS). To me, this doesn't fully explain the bile in my stomach. I don't know if stool tests concern themselves with this; I had mine during green stools (3 samples) and it was all called "unremarkable".

BTW, allegedly bile in the stomach is extremely rare outside GI surgical patients. So I'm not sure what to think even of Shipko's theory.

Last edited by Ol'Line Rebel; 06-25-2006 at 02:21 PM.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #12
(male)

Outlaw1979 HB User

what a great thread I had anxiety 6 plus years,and gerd for 4 plus years.I belive I do have a gerd disease,also after being on ppi's my second egd showed a 5 mm erosion so My gerd is real..

That being,said how much is anxiety hepls kick off the Gerd.i ve read Dr.Shipko's research before,and you have to think someone with severe anxiety there Les is going to be stimulated affected in some way therefor more acid..

As for Bile Reflux im doing more reserach on that,there is a definte connection with Gerd/Ibs and other probems..Great thread keep it going..

Old 06-26-2006, 12:49 AM   #13
(female)

benzos HB User

I am reading a book on panic attacks at the moment and it actually mentions briefly how to eat properly etc to calm the digestive acids brought on in overflow by panic. Now there has a to be a reason to mention that! Look back at some of the threads on here. It could be the chicken and egg syndrome but everyone will agree that the more anxious one gets the more lousy their acid problems are. On acid related disorder websites you will find that avoiding stress comes up just as highly as avoiding caffeine etc. Stress=anxiety=panic for a lot of people. I am continuing to look into this. Its also a fact that acid reflux is on the increase as is panic disorder. Thats not concrete evidence but I think there really must be something in it all.

As for green stools and bile. I never had green stools before I had this disorder so I am open to what this could be. Thast said I remember years ago I was in a hospital bed waiting to be wheeled down to theatre for an emergency operation. I was very worried and got stressed out. I needed the bedpan urgently and passed pure green diarrhoea (ugh sorry folks!). So was that the fact that I was so stressed (panicked) I produced an overload of acid and there is some connection there? Acid - bile?
Doctors dont seem to know an awful lot about this increasing acid problem. I have asked two doctors in my town what LPR is and they didnt know!!

Benzos

Old 06-26-2006, 07:08 AM   #14
(female)

heytoots HB User

Good Morning, All,
I have been reading this board for about a month.....I was diagnosed with acid reflux 6 weeks ago......am on 40mg Nexium, and have an appt (finally) with a gastro on July 7th.....to be followed by a endoscopy. I am 53, and have had anxiety/panic disorder since my 20's....along with that came chronic gastritis.. for which I was medicated with Zantac and carafate. I have also had IBS for 30 years...due probably to my anxiety. Now...with this new dianosis of GERD, I am not at all surprised that it could be caused, or aggravated by anxiety and panic disorders.

Maybe we should all be on valium?????

Barbara

Old 06-26-2006, 07:22 AM   #15
(male)

moesciphish HB User

I'd constantly be on valium if it wasn't so addictive. Do you take anything for your panic disorder such as AD's or anything? Where you given carafate off the bat for gastritis? Obviously your doc seemed to know something about the bile situation?

Closed Thread