It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
(male)

mackey73 HB User
tight/congested throat-no pain

for a couple of weeks, i've had this transient tightness in my throat--right around my voicebox. it feels a bit like i'm being gently choked--the pressure, that is. but i have no airflow compromise or gagging. i've had problems with heartburn--and probably GERD--but not lately.

I surmised that it must be allergy related, so I took benedry to no avail. NSAIDs don't bring the ostensible swelling down.

So now I think it's probably GERD. I have every reason to have it: I smoke (not heavily), eat chocolate, citrus, spicy foods, lots of coffee, and sit at a desk all day. So I started on Prilosec OTC a week ago--with cimetidine as needed. But it's still happening. I don't have any problem swallowing, or pain, per se, just this swollen/full feeling in my esophagus.

FWIW, my uvula swelled up recently, as it does sometimes for reasons I don't know. But that went away weeks ago...

Thanks for any advice/insight

JM

Old 06-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User
Re: tight/congested throat-no pain

It is probably related to LPR, but a "swollen or choking" feeling in the throat can also be a symtpom of thyroid problems. Have your doctor check your thyroid for any possible problems. I have suffered with both LPR and thyroid conditions, sometimes symptoms for either problem can be similar and mistaken for each other.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
(male)

Given2Fly HB User

I have the same problem with my throat, was told it had nothing to do with any thyroid problems, and was told it could take up to 2 months to go away. The only thing I do is try to stay occupied so I don't notice it as much, but it sucks when it comes to eating.

You should still get fully checked out though.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

I would have it checked by a gastroenterologist. My husband had the same thing and eventually couldn't swallow and unfortunately it was cancer. Don't mess with this; if caught early enough it can be treated. On the other hand, it could just be nerves. I've had the feeling like there's a lump in my throat and it went away on it's own. Whichever it might be, it's best to have it checked, especially if you have GERD. Good Luck

Old 06-30-2006, 05:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

Prilosec OTC isn't strong enough. Did you know that real Prilosec is still available by Prescription and is still made by Astrazeneca? It is also available generically by prescription. The Prilosec OTC is not made by Astrazeneca and has a very bad response rate on this board. In fact, my own doctor has told me that many of her patients, after switching from a prescription PPI to the Prilosec OTC had all their symptoms return.

What you need is a doctor's prescription for the real stuff. Your choices are:
Nexium
Aciphex
Prilosec (brand or generic)
Prevacid
Zegrid
Protonix.

I'd recommend the Prilosec brand or Nexium or Prevacid first.

Also, severe acid reflux does not always respond to 1 pill a day treatment. It turn out that most LPR patients, and a sizable number of GERD patients, actually require 2 doses of a PPI per day for relief. I've been on 2 doses a day for 4 years with no side effects. I take Nexium.

Closed Thread