It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

WARD_MEGAN17 HB User
We are having the nissen done in two weeks.

We have tried every other option, the meds have not worked, the changes haven't worked, and it just seems to get worse. i had a 3 hour confrence with the dr. he has given me some peace of mind. i also talked with two parents of children who have had this surgery done by this dr and they told me the only mistake they made was not doing it sooner. i am seeing that this is the only option we have and the longer i wait the worse it will get. i am just keeping yall informed of what we are planning and i will tell yall how it goes when we are back.
thanks for all of yalls help and comments.
m

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
(female)

LaurieZ HB User
Re: We are having the nissen done in two weeks.

I've never heard of this. Can you tell me a little more about it?

Laurie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User

I just want to say good luck and i
hope it turns out better than mine did

Old 07-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
(female)

kattjo5220 HB User

Are you having it done on your child?

Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.

Katt

Old 07-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
(male)

Given2Fly HB User

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

Megan,

Before you have the fundo, would you please tell us

1) what meds you have tried - and at what dosages, and when they are taken. If Prilosec is one of them - please be specific and tell us if it is Prilosec OTC, Prilosec BRAND by prescription, or Prilosec GENERIC by prescription.

2) Do you have LPR or is severe heartburn your main complain? Or both?

Old 07-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
(female)

WARD_MEGAN17 HB User

It Is My Son Who Is Going To Have The Nissen...
He Has Been On Zantac 3cc's Twice A Day And Prevacid 150mg Once A Day And Mylanta 1 1/2 Teaspoons Twice A Day. He Was Born With An Esophageal Atresia And A Te Fistula. He Has Severe Reflux That Is Backing Up Into His Throat Causing Him To Cough And Throw Up. He Has Asmathic Symptoms In Addition To All Of This. I Guess That Is All Yall Wanted To Know. If Yall Have Any Other Questions Just Ask. Thanks For The Prayers!!

Old 07-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

It Is My Son Who Is Going To Have The Nissen...
He Has Been On Zantac 3cc's Twice A Day And Prevacid 150mg Once A Day And Mylanta 1 1/2 Teaspoons Twice A Day. He Was Born With An Esophageal Atresia And A Te Fistula. He Has Severe Reflux That Is Backing Up Into His Throat Causing Him To Cough And Throw Up. He Has Asmathic Symptoms In Addition To All Of This. I Guess That Is All Yall Wanted To Know. If Yall Have Any Other Questions Just Ask. Thanks For The Prayers!!

Megan

Thank you so much for giving us this information. If I told you that he has not been treated according to standard reflux therapy, would you consider postponing the surgery?

I'm sure you are familiar with all the terminology, but please let me know if you aren't. What struck me immediately is that he is only being treated with 1 dose of Prevacid per day. (I am assuming you are treating him with 15 mg of Prevacid per dose, not the 150 that you listed, as 1 dose is typically 15 mg).

Treating chronic reflux, for all LPR patients, and many many GERD patients, requires 2 doses of a PPI per day. As you know, Zantac is not a PPI - it's an H-2 inhibitor, which isn't nearly as effective as a PPI.

The 2nd dose is what makes the huge difference in treatment for most people with either variant of this disease.

Some people take their doses together (like me) and some take them spread out. But I strongly urge you to try the double dose before sending him into surgery.

I always champion Nexium, as it is the PPI that has been most effective for me personally. I take 2 40 mg pills together in the morning. I have also added Zegrid before I go to bed. Zegrid is actually a new combination of prescription-strength prilosec mixed with sodium bicarbonate (Tums). It helps reduce the breakthrough reflux I have at night.

The Nissen Fundo has a very low success rate. Surgeons are quick to cut, because they make money from it. I had a surgeon push me really hard to get the Fundo when I was taking just 1 Nexium per day. That 1 Nexium was not strong enough by all means. A few months later, when another, smarter doctor figured out the diagnosis (LPR) and gave me the 2nd dose of Nexium, I stopped refluxing in 30 minutes.

I could take all the Mylanta and H-2 blockers in the world and I would shoot myself from the pain and discomfort. Only PPIs work for chronic reflux. Once you are on the double dose therapy, H-2s and Tums and Mylanta all are great for the occasional breakthrough reflux, but it's the PPI foundation that you have to get right.

You need to try the 2x daily therapy for at least 30 days (in most cases). In my situation, like your son, I had been on 1 dose daily for some time, so perhaps that was why the 2nd dose was so effective. Perhaps he will be lucky and respond as quickly as I did.

If your son does not respond to a Prevacid double dose, also consider switching the PPIs before you schedule surgery.

In particular, you should try double doses of Nexium and Aciphex before he has surgery. There is also Prescription-Prilosec (different than Prilosec OTC) and Protonix (which I don't recommend). He can also take Zegrid (another prescription med, but usually prescribed for supplemental use at night).

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #9
(female)

WARD_MEGAN17 HB User

I Understand Everything You Are Saying But My Son Is Only One And The Dosage For Him Is Already An Adult Dose. It Would Hurt Him More Than Help Him To Take More Meds. With The Defect He Was Born With 98% Of Children Born With This Defect Have To Have This Surgery. The Way The Reflux Is And How It Is Going Into His Lungs Cannot Be Treated With The Meds. I Know That Dr's Are Quick To Make This Decision And Believe Me If I Didn't Think That This Was Our Only Other Option I Would Absolutly Do Anything Else I Could To Put This Off. On The Other Hand This Dr Is The Only Dr I Have Ever Met That I Feel Is Truely Sincere About What He Is Saying He Has Known My Son From Birth And I Trust Him Completely. I Know How Dangerous This Surgery Is And I Know The Side Effects And Complications From It I Have Spoken To Alot Of Parents About This Surgery And It Scares Me To Death. But The Way I See It Is If I Don't Do This Surgery Then I Am Putting Him Through A Lifetime Of Pain And Agony From Letting Him Suffer From The Reflux He Has. And If I Don't He Has A Very High Risk Of Pnamonia. He Is Coughing Worse And Worse Each Day. I Have Done All Of The Home Remedies To Try To Treat This Along With The Medication But Nothing Seems To Do Any Good. Thank You For All Of You Help And If You Have Anything To Add Please Feel Free....

Old 07-12-2006, 07:11 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User

some people with severe reflux just don't respond to meds i was on protonix 160 mg's a day wich according to the doctors is an off the chart dose and i was still refluxing and yes i did try every ppi out there i went through 5 years of this i am no way recomending this surgery because of the bad complications that the surgeons don't tell you about and yes i got every complication they didn't tell me about i still suffer and now im more meds than i started out on my surgery was nov9th 2005

Old 07-18-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
(female)

patricia jean HB User
Unhappy Re: We are having the nissen done in two weeks.

Good luck with your nissen...mine did not work... Pat:

Closed Thread