It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 06:03 AM   #1
(male)

KSManinCO HB User
Question When to take Protonix?

So I take the once a day 40mg ...I've had what I call a "flare-up" before, and now this one, that is, I don't always exhibit symptoms. This is my second time in 2 years with the symptoms of reflux, but this time, I'm doing the nightime thing, where I can feel it start sliding up and it ooks me out, makes it hard to sleep, jolts me awake, etc...

Long story longer, WHEN should I take the Protonix once a day? During my dinner meal? should that help? I don't take antacids but if you say that they'll help, I'll down those before I lay down too.

Ya'll...I just need a good nights sleep and it's been about 2 weeks now for me since I've had that. I think I'm taking the Protonix wrong. I had been taking it right before bed, but that doesn't seem to help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2006, 07:42 AM   #2
(female)

KJHChemist HB User
Re: When to take Protonix?

They didn't give you instructions on when to take it? Well, they didn't give me any either, so I understand.

When you're on a PPI, you should take it in the morning, 30-60 minutes before you eat. That will give it time to get into your bloodstream. Then, eat. Eating will activate the proton pumps, and the inhibitor will then shut them down. You have to take it in the right way, because a PPI can only shut down pumps that are active.

Many people on this board find Protonix to be the weaker of the PPIs. I was on it for two months before I finally convinced my doctor to switch me to Nexium. The Protonix was like candy. I even added an evening dose, which I took 30-60 minutes before dinner.

I hope you have better luck with Protonix than many of us have.

-Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2006, 08:15 AM   #3
(male)

KSManinCO HB User

Well, it worked the "first time" mid-last year...and my symptoms went completely away...

But of course, I didn't change my diet, gained more weight, ate spicy foods, drank gallons of soda....

I was pretty much asking for it to come back.

Now the Protonix just doesn't seem to be working, but then again, I've only been taking it for about a week. Some folks I've talked to said it takes time to work.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
(female)

KJHChemist HB User

Yes, it does take time. And it's hard to have patience when you're in such discomfort, I know.
-Karen

Old 07-07-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I take it 2x/day --every 12 hours. I take it about an hour before I eat in the morning which means I take my breakfast to work. I take the second one 12 hours later but it's not usually on an empty stomach because I'm too hungry in the early evening to wait. It still works ok.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:03 PM   #6
(male)

KSManinCO HB User

well, realistically, I could deal with the nasty taste in my mouth, or the bloated feeling, if that meant the nightime choking on vomit went away...that's the one symptom I absolutely hate...every other symptom I have I could deal with. Especially on about 4 hours of sleep each night for the past week...gah...

and now that I know I was taking it incorrectly, I'm just looking forward to more pain until maybe it works...MAYBE...

Old 07-08-2006, 04:18 AM   #7
(female)

tlily HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taape
I take it 2x/day --every 12 hours. I take it about an hour before I eat in the morning which means I take my breakfast to work. I take the second one 12 hours later but it's not usually on an empty stomach because I'm too hungry in the early evening to wait. It still works ok.

I use to take Protonix the same way that Taape did. But it never worked good for me. I am currently taking nexium one time a day and i feel better. However continue to have much break through reflux. May havet o go up to two pills a day. I am trying to hold off but...... I have been eating more to test things out. the lump in my throat is still there. the burning is there but not as much.

trying to hang in there. I am going on a cruise in Sept and have been putting off sending in final payment. I have to do it this weekend. I am scared to but do not want this damn thing to get the best of me. So I try anything right now.

Tlily

Old 07-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Tlily,
A cruise sounds like fun. Maybe you check with them in advance regarding a special diet for the meals. Just take the Nexium along and enough for 2 per day in case you need it and enjoy yourself. Everyone needs a vacation. I just go on vacations and take my different medications along otherwise I"d never get away for a break.

Last edited by taape; 07-08-2006 at 11:09 AM.

Closed Thread