It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
(male)

Schroddfather HB User
Can Acid Reflux cause PVCs?

A few months back I had a bout of PVCs - Premature Ventricular Contractions. It's a situation in which the bottom of the heart beats before it's full of blood, so nothing pumps. Feels like a skipped heartbeat. The next pump is very strong.

I saw a cardiologist and had umpteen tests, negative. No one looked at my throat despite complaining of lump feeling on side and a persistent cough. I started calling every physician in the book near my house for an appointment that day and lucked into a good GP who noticed my sinus infection. He prescribed Levaquin. The PVCs started to go away the next day and were gone a week later. I started having obvious bronchitis as my lungs started to unclench, but that went away within the two weeks of the treatment.

Still have the lump feeling on the right side of the throat, and occasional sensitivity on the left side of torso, sometimes in the left chest muscle. I noticed that I get occasional PVCs after eating (sometimes, not always) and wondered if there was a GERD / PVC connection.

I should mention that during the worst of the PVC episode, before the sinus infection was diagnosed, the PVCs would be worse after eating and when lying down. That's made me suspect GERD.

I'm seeing an ENT on Monday and my experience with doctors is that the more you know, the better they can treat you. If anyone has some insight, I'd be glad to hear.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
(female)

kattjo5220 HB User
Re: Can Acid Reflux cause PVCs?

Hi
I don't know about PVC's but I get heart palpitations from reflux. I get them when I eat alot.

I have read that it is an irritation of the vagus nerve. When the acid rushes up the esophagus it may irritate the nerve.

Good Luck,

Katt

Old 07-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
(female)

KJHChemist HB User
Re: Can Acid Reflux cause PVCs?

I second that, about the vagus nerve. And it's apparently reasonably common to have palps with GERD. I have them, and it drives me nuts.
-Karen

Closed Thread