It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2006, 12:01 AM   #1
(female)

anonymouswreck HB User
How long do you have to wait before you take Prevacid?

I was just wondering the specific details, like if I should wait an hour or two before I take them, and should I do any waiting to eat after I take it? (Specifically to Prevacid). I'm wondering because I know that you can eat and take your PPI and they aren't affected by the food; they work just as well.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: How long do you have to wait before you take Prevacid?

I have taken prevacid for about 4 years. sometimes once a day and sometimes twice. different dr.s have told me different things. The ENT told me 2 weeks ago to take it 1/2 hour before breakfast and 1/2 hour before dinner. that seems to work for me though i have taken it upon rising and not had breakfast for hours and at bedtime hours after i have eaten and haven't really seen a difference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2006, 04:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

Most doctors will tell you the ideal way to take your PPIs is to simply wait an hour before eating after taking them.

In practice, I've found that I can eat immediately after taking them, and for me that has no negative ramifications. However, I tend to ususally wait at least 15 minutes before eating.

I also take the 2 pills together first thing in the morning. Apparently I need a large dosing, because my symptoms come back when I separate the dosages into morning and evening.

Whenever I mention this to my ENT (whose practice is 90% LPR patients), her reply is that half of her patients do it my way and the other half split them up. It's just a matter of finding what works best for you.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I take mine 1/2 hour before breakfast and 1/2 hour before dinner.

Closed Thread