It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 06:47 AM   #1
(female)

linda36 HB User
Prilosec and Nightmares?

Has anyone experienced nightmares while taking Prilosec. I've been taking it for the past 3 weeks and have experienced bad nightmares just about every night. thanks.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Prilosec and Nightmares?

Yes, I've been having nightly nightmares for 6 months now. It's scary, exhausting plus embarassing to wake up people in my house from waking up screaming. Most nights it wakes me up but I'm not screaming but sometimes just shaking from being scared. I get these with both Aciphex and Protonix. One doctor admitted that another patient got this side effect but not many doctors do. I might try taking 2 pills in the morning so the medication will beginning to wear off when I'm sleeping.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
(female)

linda36 HB User

I really appreciate you responding - I am at the point I'm scared to go to bed because the nighmares have been so awful. I might see about switching to another PPI.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I switched from Acipex to Protonix but it didn't help. It's worth asking your doctor about. I wonder if most patients just don't report this as a side effect. And wonder what in these type of medications causes the nightmares.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

I started on a lower dosage of PPI (prevacid) due to side effects,
I'm still having them but not all that I was having before.
I was having depression, fatigue and at night I would wake up with irregular heartbeats, and a panic feeling and like i couldn't breathe and my heart would race. I haven't had nightmares though but still am afraid to go to sleep at night. Just hate this crap

Old 07-23-2006, 12:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

For me, nightmares are the worst part of an otherwise very effective treatment (Nexium, 2x per day).

While the nightmares aren't usually the kind that make me afraid to fall asleep, my dreams are consistently INTENSE, and a little disturbing. I'm a really mellow person, so I wake up, forget about it and move on. I'd imagine that consistent nightmares would be a real problem for anyone who is prone to anxiety.

The funny thing is, that on the rare occasion that my sleep cycle is wacked and I take an Ambien (way too powerful stuff for regular use folks!), I can't remember any of my dreams and the sleep is so peaceful. So if you're freaking out about the PPI nightmares and need just one night's good sleep, ambien will help. But I've heard many horrible stories about ambien addiction - this is not a drug you want to use regularly.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

I thought it was my imagination that the sleep/dreams/nightmares were worse on the ppi....it did lessen when i stopped them a couple months ago, but my sleep is still not restful and the nightmares are still there to some extent, wish I knew how long this symptom is gonna last.
Conni

Closed Thread