It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
(female)

phix95 HB User
Question Larygopharyngeal reflux I think...questions

I wrote about a month back about feeling nausious, here:
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=396047[/url]

I've been on Prevacid for over a month. I'm on 40mg. I've been feeling wierd lately, like nausious but not like before... it's more in my chest...like something will come up, and a disgusted with food feeling. Thinking about eating makes me feel ill, even if my stomach is hungry.
I went to my reg. doc and he gave me allegra-d and Ipratropium Bromide nasal spray, both for my post nasal drip. He thought that could be causing the feeling. And I believe the Prevacid is making me very burpy.
Second in importance:
I also have a weird fluttering of what feels like my muscles in my stomach. It's not a pain, like intestinal pain or spasing of anything...just a flutter/spasm in my stomach, on the left or right side. Not sure if its related. My doc said it would just go away. He also mentioned some ppl have the nerves cut there (for relief?)...
And I think i have tinnitus...always had ringing in my ears. And fullness. But now, there's like a fluttering bass sound in my left ear...like the heartbeat some ppl get, but instead of a steady beat, its just a bunch really fast, and stops. Its not related to my heartbeat. It's like there's liquid in there or a nerve or...I dont know

Anyone have any suggestions, esp. for the first problem? I hate even waking up to feel like this. Maybe all the air/burpiness all the time is causing me to feel sick? I just never want to eat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User
Re: Larygopharyngeal reflux I think...questions

Phix,
I've been on and off prevacid for about 9 months now. taking myself off for the final time due to too many side effects.

I can relate to all your symptoms. For nausea I chew on ginger chews or ginger mints (altoids makes them), or sip on ginger tea. It helps a little.

lack of appetite is a huge thing with this reflux and I've lost weight this past month. I'm taking supplements and drinking healthy smoothies, eating what does appeal...you have to maintain your health best you can.

My doctor also gave me a nasal spray because I have fluid in my ear and it clicks when I swallow or yawn--I feel it in there. It didn't help but then I didn't use it for long, don't like using meds as you can tell.
I have had the fluttering in my esophogus mainly and it feels kinda like spasms or like when you're real nervous and get fluttery and queasy--I don't know if this is what you are experiencing. Don't know what to do about that.

I was very burpy before taking the prevacid and went away with the meds but I had other things that were worse!
I wish I had some answers for you and for myself. I'm still trying to sort out what works and what doesn't and get through each day. It's a challenge like no other, and I've had some health challenges.
Take care, and I hope you feel better

Old 07-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
(female)

Sandy Beach HB User

Prevacid may not be the answer for you. Tell your doctor and try other meds til you find the one that works for you. Prevacid, Prilosec, Nexium, did nothing for me. The Aciphec and Ranitindine is helping me (so far!) I also am on Nasonex for stuffy nose. This LPR Reflux seems to effect all parts of the body, doesn't it?

Old 09-02-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
(female)

phix95 HB User

Hi. thanks for the posts.
I am on 20mg of Prevacid and I was doing ok for a while. I have post nasal drip too and my doc said that may be also making me feel nausious in my throat. But now I feel worse again. Not exactly the same as when it started but I am burping a lot and feel nausious in my throat sort of. I will make another appt w/my ENT.
Oh, and when you mention Aciphec...do you mean Aciphex? And I never heard of that other one.
I hate this feeling. I hate feeling like I will throw up. Prevacid seems to work kind of. Anything else I can do?

Last edited by phix95; 09-02-2006 at 10:45 PM.

Old 09-03-2006, 04:59 AM   #5
(female)

suelynn HB User

I spent hundreds of dollars on allergy testing because Dr said I have post nasal drip..hence the clearing of throat, I don't have any allergies, and since starting Aciphex the cough is gone, the thraot stuff is still there at times, and I clear it alot, but do you really think you have post nasal drip, cause I now see that LPR mimics the thraot/drip thing.
I increased to 40 mg a day, and fell 100% better.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #6
(female)

phix95 HB User

Well I read that post nasal drip was a symptom of LPR...its not a separate, different thing. I've had pnd for many many years and the LPR thing just started in June.
Did you feel nausious? That is what bothers me the most. I cannot work b/c of it. When I was on 40mg it worked but I was vERY burpy and my stomach was hurting...

Old 09-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
(female)

suelynn HB User

Knock on wood, no nausea...I am not sure I understand the post nasal drip thing..that's a sympton? When we clear oour throat all the time, my Dr said it's cause the acid is backing up, causing the flemmy thing, so maybe everyone thinks they have pnd, as I did for a long time. Sounds like a weird sympton of lpr..I have been doing well on 40 mg aciphex..I take one a.m. and then one a few hours before bed. I am having troouble with the diet thing, I can't seem to give up stuff that I probably should..what is the secret, aside from knowing you might feel better..it is so frustrating, and not having any support from people doens't help, my husband and kids understand, but try and ask someone what kind of sauce they used on ribs, or are there onions in something, and they offer a tums...

Old 09-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #8
(female)

phix95 HB User

nausea is the entire reason I get checked out. I dont care about anything else. And I read that if you have pnd, it could mean you have lpr. Yes I clear my throat a lot too. That's small potatoes and only really hinders me when i sing. I'ts more annoying. The nausea is debilitating and scary. I have had depression and panic...i really dont need more scary stuff.
I had gastroentritis in March (and I never get that) and I threw up 17 times and had to go to the ER. Fun.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #9
(female)

phix95 HB User

Hi again.
Ok anyone have this? Or is this normal for LPR?
I went to my ENT today (a different one since I couldn't get in w/my reg. one till mid OCTOBER!) and he scoped me and told me no acid in my throat. There was the very first time I went in, but this time and the last time, it was normal. Well I am feeling nausious in my throat, but a bit differently than when I first got checked out.

Instead of feeling like upchucking when I yawned (to which someone said it could be LPR), it's just randomly. It's like in the back of my throat, by my adams apple, and the top of my chest (not necc. all at once).
I am burping a lot and having some acid (i guess) burps too, where acid comes up. But I'm only on 20 mg of Prevacid (I originally went off 40 b/c of the burping and air in my stomach).

Could there be "air" in my throat? Apparently there's no acid (as says the scope). It's like the feeling you get right before you throw up, just not as intense, but it still affects things, like I cant exercise as much or work as much. And laying down seems better than leaning forward.
What do you think?

Thanks so much anyone!

Old 09-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #10
(male)

KPK1 HB User

PPIs make me bloat as well. Pepsid AC works ok, but not as potent a the PPI's. I have read that with LPR you should take acid medication first thing in the morning, as well as before you go to sleep. A little honey before bed seems to help as well. I have to stay away from faty foods, dairy products, spicy foods, and pretty much anything that has any taste. Alcohol makes everything ten times worse, as does stress. Another common problem with LPR is habitually gasping for air or hyperventelating due to shortness of breath. This causes tons of air to pocket in my stomach and makes it even harder to breath.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:23 AM   #11
(male)

KPK1 HB User

Hi Phix95.

Leaning forward definately worsens my symptoms, when I am having them. On occasion while driving my car, I would have to pull of of the road, get out and stand up to catch my breath. Long road trips kill me when I am symptomatic. I literaly feel like I am choking, like fluid and gas is rising in my throat. Belching seems to help, but the problem is that I can not always.

good luck

Old 09-07-2006, 05:33 PM   #12
(female)

phix95 HB User

Well my doc said to take the 20 mg at night now. And if the nausea doesn't go away, go to 40 mg at night.
My primary doc had me on 2 nasal sprays to try to dry up my post nasal drip b/c he said that may be causing the nasea throat thing too. But then my ENT took me off of them.
I just want the nausea to go away!!!
I was also told to not have caffiene. But no one really gave me any diet to follow.
KP1...so yours is more of a choking sensation? LIke gagging? That's sort of what I have. It feels like nausea. I take care of dogs and one of them threw up today and i had to clean it up. You know how you feel sick when you clean someone elses' vomit up? In your chest or throat? LIke right b4 it comes up? Tha'ts what I felt...and that is similar to what I feel everyday.

Last edited by phix95; 09-07-2006 at 10:54 PM.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:41 PM   #13
(female)

phix95 HB User

Hi again.
Well I've been switched to the generic of Prilosec, b/c Prevacid was too expensive. Has anyone been on this? Is it ok?

Old 09-22-2006, 05:36 PM   #14
(male)

hp8 HB User

If one ppi makes you naseous, switch to another one. I'm ok with protonix but tried nexium several times, it makes me want to throw up.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:03 AM   #15
(female)

phix95 HB User

Actually, the reason I went on any med in the first place was BECAUSE of the nausea. It's not a result of the med., unless it's a new nausea thing.

Closed Thread