It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
(male)

SurfRick HB User
Help...Prilosec vs. Aciphex

7 years ago (1999) I developed severe GERD like symptoms. After all the tests (pH, swallowing study, endoscopy) I was diagnosed with Barretts. I tried all the drugs and seemed to settle on Aciphex (twice a day, 20mg). Taking levbid as well finally eliminated the symptoms. Stopped the levbid after a couple months. Had a 2nd follow-up endoscopy in 2004 with 'normal' results. I recently had another endoscopy and barretts was back, and it was idefinate for dysplasia. The Doc switched me to Prilosec (2x20mg), Zantac at bedtime, and tums as required, and now my symptoms are back. I'm super worried about dysplasia and want the symptoms to stop. Has anyone found that Aciphex works and Prilosec doesn't? The pain is more of a cramping sensation vice burning. Do I switch back? Does the indefinate dysplasia mean aciphex wasn't working even though I had no symptoms?
Help please!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
(female)

linda36 HB User
Re: Help...Prilosec vs. Aciphex

Hi - Prilosec worked for me but I had terrible nightmares and when I stopped taking it I actually had withdraw symptoms (panic attacks, wierd thoughts, etc.). I'm taking aciphex now but it doesn't work nearly as well as the prilosec did.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
(male)

SurfRick HB User

Update...talked with my physician today (general medical Doc and not a GI Doc). He recommended switching to Protonix and Carafate, so I'll give it a try. Also, he said that Tums-like products can actually make reflux worse because they contain calcium and the smooth muscles controlling your esophagus opening are impaired by excess calcium. So, no Tums or Zantac.

Thoughts??

Last edited by SurfRick; 08-03-2006 at 01:12 PM.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #4
(male)

Outlaw1979 HB User

No Zantac??

Carafate is good for healing when you got Diagnosed with Barretts was it your first EGD?Was there any damage etc erosions ulcers etc??

Aciphex quit working on me twice so you just have to keep switching find what works..
Protonix,Prevacid,Nexium (strongest from what I hear),Prilosec,Aciphex,and Zegerid..Go through them all and see what works,also might want to look into the Nissen..

Before I go hate to bore you look into the Barrx procedure it removes the Barretts from your body with a laser,and puts new cells in there place sounds promising..
Outlaw

Old 08-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

I don't think that Zantac has any calcium in it. It's just Ranitidine. Just don't buy the souped up versions like Pepcid AC, which do contain it. The plain stuff (like plain old Zantac and plain old Pepcid) have no calcium.

But they are H-2 Blockers. For bad heartburn, you need a PPI, like the list outlaw gave you - the nexium, prevacid, etc.

P.S. Don't take Prilosec OTC, it's very weak. If you want Prilosec, get the prescription version that is actually made by Astrazeneca, or the generic prescription.

Closed Thread