HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acid Reflux / GERD (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/)
-   -   What meds are closest to Nexium? My insurance is dropping nexium. (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/418255-what-meds-closest-nexium-my-insurance-dropping-nexium.html)

jzak423 08-10-2006 09:38 PM

What meds are closest to Nexium? My insurance is dropping nexium.

Over the years I've tried many different pills for my acid reflux and the nexium has been working awesome for 3 years now. Granted I take 2 40mg pills daily, but they work. Today I got a letter in the mail from united health care stating that starting sept. 1st, they will no longer cover nexium due to over the counter pills available. Now I'm worried I won't find something that works as well. Any thoughts?

spider37 08-11-2006 04:24 AM

Re: What meds are closest to Nexium? My insurance is dropping nexium.

i was sent the same kind of letter for protonix from my insurance there is a way around this mine was toi have the doctor write a letter and send it into the insurance stating this this is the only med you can take otc don't work as effective as script meds

aswander 08-11-2006 04:46 AM

Did your United Health Care Plan use Medco as the mail-away pharmacy? Are all United Health Care Plans the same - can we all expect to get this letter? It took me 6 months to get approved for Nexium 2x a day when I switched insurance a year ago due to all of Medco and United's screw-ups. Now they want to drop Nexium? Are they planning on dropping all prescription PPIs? I know that every time I get my order in the mail, it comes with a letter asking "Did I know that Prilosec OTC is now available cheaply?"

spider37 08-11-2006 08:06 AM

i would imagine that alot of people can expect this kind of letter my insurance was champva i sent my scripts into the goverment i was a disabled vets wife and they did it so i would imagine the private insurance company's are gonna follow

aswander 08-11-2006 02:19 PM

I just called up United Healthcare and they confirmed they are dropping Nexium as of 9/1/2006. They do not have the replacement drug list available yet.

This decision can be appealled by the individual. You or your doctor can write the appeal letter, which needs to contain:

-Patient Name
-Patient Subscriber #
-Name of Medicine and Strength
-Patient mailing address
-Telephone Number
-Doctor's Name and Telephone Number.

The letter should be mailed to :
United Healthcare Appeals
P.O. Box 659773
San Antonio, TX

Don't forget to send it certified! (Not required, but I'd recommend it)

Imacarbuff 08-11-2006 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=jzak423]Over the years I've tried many different pills for my acid reflux and the nexium has been working awesome for 3 years now. Granted I take 2 40mg pills daily, but they work. Today I got a letter in the mail from united health care stating that starting sept. 1st, they will no longer cover nexium due to over the counter pills available. Now I'm worried I won't find something that works as well. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I took Nexium for about 7 weeks or so and became concerned that taking it much longer could cause more problems. I'm off Nexium now for about 12 days and I've only had to take a total of about 6-8 Tums! Nexium may have fixed....something. Don't get me wrong, I'm still watching my diet...and I still have some of the throat clearing during the day. I'm trying the probiotics that a friend suggested-maybe that's helping. I figure, even if the GERD returns down the road-I've given my system a rest from the drugs that basically shut down what the stomach needs to properly digest food. I think that's important to do WHEN POSSIBLE.;)

Harry 08-11-2006 09:37 PM

Prilosec (omeprazole) and Nexium (esomeprazole) were both originally developed, patented, marketed and sold by AstraZeneca. So, It is probably the closest related PPI on the market -- NOW.

When Prilosec came off patent in 2001, AstraZeneca patented the other purple pill Nexium--was widely promoted, advertised and sold.

This was done to make money in the $8.9 billion PPI market. There is not alot of dfference between the 2 drugs -- according to Stanford's drug watch person
-- Robert Stafford, MD,PHD.

But, Nexium does not have to be compared to another PPI only to a placebo for it to get FDA approval.

I think what I have read Nexium is 6 to 8% stronger than Prilosec.

Harry

spider37 08-12-2006 05:02 AM

you know if i have seen an add from AstraZeneca that if you can't afford your meds there is a number you can call and they will base it on your income at little to no cost

lola003 08-12-2006 06:01 AM

I have been on nexium for a couple of years now. I am also on probiotics for constipation but someone stated that probiotics may help your reflux. My refulx is unrepairable so nexium won't help but it will help the acid backing up. I wonder if I should try and get off it and try the prelosic again along with the probiotics and see what happens. Prelosic helped but I was getting flutters between my throat and chest. I had a stress test so it wasn't that. Anyone had flutters?

I too recevied a letter from United Health Care but our company just switched to Aetna on 8/1. I wonder if I am going to get a letter from them now. Thank God I sent for another prescrip before we switched. I have at least a 4 months supply left.

Deb in CT

Paulk 08-12-2006 08:33 AM

Hello,

I am having the same problem. My insurace (Healthnet) is not letting me go for Nexium. Nexium was very effective for me in the past. Now, based on the suggestion of the Doc I am using Prolisec 20MG (OTC) but it is not at all effective.
We pay so much money for the insurance and this is not fair that they do not let us get what is needed and what works for us.
Is there any way that we can convince the insurance companies to let us get Nexium.
Also, is there any other medications that are closer and as effective as Nexium as posted in the question of this topic.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

blondy2061h 08-12-2006 09:54 AM

Prilosec and Zegred both have the same active ingredient as Nexium- Omperazole. Also, both are availible in 40mg pills/packets.

blondy2061h 08-12-2006 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=Paulk]Hello,

I am having the same problem. My insurace (Healthnet) is not letting me go for Nexium. Nexium was very effective for me in the past. Now, based on the suggestion of the Doc I am using Prolisec 20MG (OTC) but it is not at all effective.
We pay so much money for the insurance and this is not fair that they do not let us get what is needed and what works for us.
Is there any way that we can convince the insurance companies to let us get Nexium.
Also, is there any other medications that are closer and as effective as Nexium as posted in the question of this topic.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
You probably need 2 of the 20mg Prilosecs to get the same dose you were getting on Nexium.

Harry 08-12-2006 01:24 PM

You probably were not take 20 mgm dose of Nexium-- probably 40 mgm-- So, you may need the same dose of Prilosec??

I hope this works for you~~~Harry

aswander 08-12-2006 09:02 PM

I've been reading almost every post on this board for over a year and I have yet to hear of any poster state that Prilosec OTC worked for him/her. This is the Acid Reflux board, for god's sake. If it worked, we would be crowing about it.

Prilosec OTC is not an adequate substitute, even for prescription prilosec. Something is going on with the production of the OTC stuff.

Theoretically, 2 Prilosec OTC capsules should be the equivalent of one Nexium - but it just doesn't work that way in practice.

I have LPR - and I got even sicker when I briefly switched from Nexium to Prilosec OTC. I developed new symptoms on OTC that I never even had before starting Nexium (before diagnosis). I was on the OTC for 2 months and ran screaming back to Nexium.

jzak423 08-13-2006 10:43 AM

Good point. Everyone I know that has tried prilosec OTC has hated it.