It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User
Hmm, has Prilosec OTC worked for ANYBODY with Chronic LPR or GERD?

Since my insurance, United Healthcare, aggressively advocates taking Prilosec OTC instead of prescription PPIs, and is now eliminating coverage of Nexium, I am curious - has Prilosec OTC worked for anyone reading this board who has chronic GERD or LPR (by chronic I mean bad symptoms every day without adequate treatment).

I'm interested in pure experience - please let us know if it worked or if it didn't work, how long you tried taking it, and what the dosage was.

My doctor was the one who informed me that Prilosec OTC isn't even manufactured by Astrazenca, the makers of prescription Prilosec. But before I go shooting off at the mouth again about my truly horrific experience with Prilosec OTC, I'd like to know if anyone had true, longterm success with this drug.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User
Re: Hmm, has Prilosec OTC worked for ANYBODY with Chronic LPR or GERD?

I have not had any true long term success with any PPI for LPR. I have used Prevacid (taken away by the ins. co), switched to Nexium with little to no results, and OTC Prilosec--again little to no success.

I was diagnosed with LPR about 2 years ago. My best success has been with a diet rich in healty stuff, veggies, fruits, whole grains and lots of fiber to keep digestion moving. I stopped Nexium over a year ago and my LPR has slowly diminished to where it hardly ever bothers me at all any more.

Good Luck to you. LPR is one of the most miserable things I have ever been diagnosed with, and the medical profession seems to be baffled with what to do about it!

Last edited by Red Maple; 08-13-2006 at 05:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

I have the exact comments almost as lisman, only that I'm still struggling with that infernal tickle and cough, which makes me crazy
it comes out of nowhere and my part time job dealing with the public makes it very annoying and embarrassing

But other than that I feel better this last month than for the last 10 months when I was trying different drugs and dosages.

it IS the worse affliction I think I've had to deal with and I have a few.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #4
(male)

pohaku HB User

been taking it for 2 months, no help at all.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

My sister was switched from Nexium to Prilosec OTC 2years ago for GERD by her Doctor and is doing OK with Acid reflux --But, her biggest problem is --She has cancer -- non Hodgkins Lymphoma.

My wife has taken Prilosec OTC for nut cracker syndrome a swallowing problem that comes and goes -- took Prilosec for 6 years then Magnesium/calcium supplements for 2 years and is now back on Prilosec OTC-- most of the time. Nexium gives her diarrhea and nausea.

Prilosec (been on the market since 1990-- first PPI) and Nexium(been on the market since 2001) are both made by Astrazeneca a London based company and registered trademark of that Company. Prilosec OTC is made by Proctor and Gamble under an agreement with AstraZeneca.
As you may know the Prilosec OTC is a tablet and the presription is a capsule-- my wife says she gets the same results with both. But, I know others don't.

I think it's best to let your PCP decide what is best for you to take depending on your Problems -- we are all so different. in age, condition, health, and what we eat and drink--- do these make a difference? I think so.

Harry

Old 08-14-2006, 04:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

Harry,

Yes I agree with you - it's best for your doctor to help you decide what to take - not the insurance company!

For those who already posted, please elaborate about the Prilosec OTC experience - for example, the sister who is taking it who is doing "OK" but who has cancer, is she only "OK" with the reflux, or is her reflux control great?

I'm basically trying to see if for those with chronic GERD/LPR, if Prilosec OTC is AS GOOD AS the other PPIs? I personally don't believe that, based on my experience with Nexium (Fabulous) and Prilosec OTC (Terrible), but I'm trying to get more answers from the community.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
(female)

Lexijones99 HB User

I've been taking Prilosec OTC because I don't have prescription coverage. Up until the past week it wasn't working too well. It took alot of the pain and symptoms away, but I still had alot. Last Monday I started taking the two pills together in the morning and it has made a big difference. It took a few days to start working, but I feel better...as long as I watch what I eat and drink. The lump in my throat feeling is gone. The pain in my back is gone. The major refluxing is gone. The only symptom I have right now is the feeling that something fuzzy is in my throat.

I can't compare it to other meds b/c I haven't tried any of them. It's still annoying, but I do feel soooo much better than I have for awhile.

Oh yeah, I still get the annoying tickle in my throat.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

Prilosec OTC relieves my heartburn with one pill, but the side effects are awful: stomach pain, gas, nausea, bloating, diarrhea. I've had the same problem with: Prevacid and Aciphex. Pepcid AC was working OK for awhile, but today I wasn't able to get rid of the heartburn even after taking a total of 80 mg. of Pepcid.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:09 AM   #9
(female)

Sandy Beach HB User

When my insurance stoppped paying for prescription GERD meds, I began taking Prilosec OTC and my GERD seemed o.k. (the heartburn part); now I have developed LPR (the coughing part), so I think being on Prilosec and not something stronger caused the GERD to change into LPR. Long story short:

Prilosec did not help!!!!

Old 08-19-2006, 03:22 AM   #10
(male)

Crackjawcolslaw HB User

I have a friend that lived on Tums,Rolaids, Mylanta , etc...for bad heartburn - for 20 years or more. He started taking Prilocec OTC last year (1 pill a day) & it works great - He can eat anything now too.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:58 AM   #11
(female)

suelynn HB User

I take 20 mg Aciphex a day, but still have fits of cough...and trust me I know what everyone means about the public..they think you have some horrible contagious disease..I work in the court system, and in court I started to cough, someone haned me a peppermint drop..I don't hink so, as that makes me choke and cough more, but how do youtell some one..will it ever stop, or do we live with it best we can..and again, I have said it many times, if this is all I have to live with, not cancer, not something terminal, then I can do it..BUT most people don't understand what we are feeling

Sue

Old 08-26-2006, 01:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

KPK,

Several things come to mind -- you may lack magnesium in your diet that is causing spasms and cramping in the area where you get a hiatal hernia. And, trapped gas causing diaphagm pressure resulting in vagus nereve irritation??

You could try taking a magnesium supplement to increase your magnesium at the cellular level -- every cell in your body contains magnesium and it is suppose to be readily available in many foods. But, some experts think 80% of people are defiecient.

There is a Sticky Thread by bluepumkin "GERD Suffers - I Feel Good Let me Tell You Why"-- at the top of the Digestive Disorders board -- about How taking magnesium changed his life with a diagnosed GERD problem -- I suggest you read it.

There is an excellent homeopathic remedy for muscle spasms/cramps-- Magnesia Phos that you can buy at a health food store~~~ take it as needed-- it takes 20 minutes to work.

Also, alot of bloating is caused by intestinal friendly bacteria getting out of balance and needs to be re-balanced.
Friendly bacteria can get out of balance for many reasons -- too much salt, sugary, spicy foods, alcohol a round of antibiotics and many other reasons. Just 1 alcoholic drink increases the magnesium in your next urineation by 5 times -- interesting Factoid but true.

Since intestinal bacteria is normally present in the Gi tract, when it gets out of balance --Doctors don't have a test for it--- So, you need to try to get it re-balanced it on your own!!

You could try eating a good brand of yogurt several times daily. Kefir is loaded with friendly bacteria and taking a probiotic supplement several times daily on an empty stomach may help.
You could have a yeast/candida infection that can be treated with an anti-fungal drugs like Nystatin, Diflucan, Sporanox and there are some OTC remedies that are pretty good.

I wish you well ~~~Harry

Last edited by Harry; 08-26-2006 at 04:56 PM.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #13
(male)

KPK1 HB User

Harry

Thanks for the advice. I never thought of a magnesium deficiency.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:00 PM   #14
(female)

missbbpepper HB User

hello,

I have GERD - and had NO SUCCESS what so ever with Prilosec OTC -now am on Protonix.

Amber and service dog Quincy

Old 08-26-2006, 10:35 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

Is Protonix working well for you? How about side effects?

Closed Thread