It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
(male)

Outlaw1979 HB User
Can anxiety make Gerd worse?

i have extreme paic disorder im young male but disabled it seems like the medications arent working anymore.if they do its very off and on,family is pushing me for surgey,but im 27 and was wondering if Anxiety can make PPI meds not work as well?
Anybody know thanks?

Old 08-15-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
(female)

crampster HB User
Re: Can anxiety make Gerd worse?

I don't know how the anxiety affects the meds... but anxiety definately increases the reflux.
crampster

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
(male)

Outlaw1979 HB User

Well if it increases reflux wouldnt that make the meds not work as well.Im diasblded from anxiety,my gerd fears are out of control that my anxiety gerd thing is going nuts..

Old 08-15-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
(male)

jzak423 HB User

It affects Gerd like you wouldn't believe. I went through some nasty panic attacks in June and my reflux was out of control. Just keep taking your meds for Gerd try and get your attacks under control. PM me if you need some more advice.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:01 AM   #5
(male)

Outlaw1979 HB User

Yeah I would say my panic attacks are all Gerd related instead of fight or flight I get gerd in my head.I suffer from hypochondria agoraphobia and anxiety..Its almost making anxoeric because of the heartburn..
How do i im?
OutlAw

Old 08-16-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
(male)

jzak423 HB User

I also suffer from slight agoraphobia with panic attacks. I started taking Lexapro in June and my anxiety got bad for a week while I adjusted to the meds. I lost over 19lbs in under 2 weeks because I couldn't eat a thing. I've learned meditation and other relaxation skills. I'd get you panic issues under control and the GERD problems will dissapear as well. I'm back to eating what I want when I want....... on a bad note, I did put those 19lbs back on

Old 08-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #7
(male)

Outlaw1979 HB User

was the gerd pretty bad before you got the anxiety under control..

side effects last roughly a week?

Old 08-17-2006, 01:42 AM   #8
(female)

Casey2 HB User

I also have panic attacks and anxiety and reflux. I don't know which came first
but what has helped me a lot is lorazapam for nerves. I also take ranitidine, pepto bismol, gaviscon and try not to eat too many carbohydrates. I didn't stay on PPIs because of side effects and they weren't helping much. I don't want to have the surgery if I can get by without it. I know people with anxiety often don't have as good an outcome.
I hope you do all you can to get your panic, anxiety etc. under control before you have surgery. The lexapro may be just what you need along with meditation and relaxation techniques. You may feel so much better that you don't need the surgery. It's a daily struggle and it's hard to do. You are so young and have so many people that need you. I hope you find some relief very soon either with medication or surgery so you can be at peace.

Last edited by Casey2; 08-17-2006 at 01:46 AM.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:59 AM   #9
(male)

Outlaw1979 HB User

Casey that hit home I havent had peace in 7 years,and yeah my family needs me kids,and everybody..Im not living im going to give lexapro a shot I heard the surgery outcome isnt good with us anxiety peeople..They told me the Surgeon he tops in Country that anxiety wouldnt affect it..he dont know how i live im freaking disablded..Agoraphobic,and when i feel a symptom I run with it..I pray i find peace..
Thanks for the input guys keep it up i need it..
Outlaw

Old 08-17-2006, 05:31 PM   #10
(male)

jzak423 HB User

I've had a hard time figuring out what came first, the GERD or the anxiety. The anxiety got worse when I started choking on food from my reflux getting out of control. I do know that when my anxiety flares up, so does the heartburn and the trouble eating. I'd definetly see a Dr. about your anxiety and once that is under control it will more then likely make the reflux easier to live with. I feel better then i ever had now that I'm seeking help.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:25 PM   #11
(male)

Deniro HB User

Here's my question, Can acid reflux create anxiety/panic disorder?

Old 08-17-2006, 06:48 PM   #12
(male)

Mike137100 HB User

I don't know if there is scientific evidence proving that GERD cause Anxiety , but let me tell you it seems everyone who has GERD suffers from some kind of anxiety or panic attacks. I know I am who used to have panic attacks only when standing in high wide open spaces. Ever since my GERD about 10 months now, I been getting panic attacks just sitting on the computer. Last one sent me to the ER, thinking it was something else. They said it was Panic. The attacks started about 2 months ago. I stopped Nexium and just on Gaviscon. I also started seeing a psychologist to help me through this.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:12 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

they do seem to go hand in hand more often than not, from what I've read on this board and from my own experience. I never even believed in panic attacks (for me) but last year I suffered from them, also same time my gerd/lpr was diagnosed. hmmm. now the anxiety is under control (no drugs, just mind control and breathing), but I still am stressed just living with all the pressure and stress that is REAL and surrounding me, so I think it all takes its toll.

what came first? and does it matter?

the truth is they are separate but connected. the physical symptoms of reflux are terrible and wear on your psyche.

some days i don't even look to the next day, I just look to the next HOUR to get me through. Just try to live in the moment as best you can with whatever tools/meds/help you can bring into your life.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:54 PM   #14
(male)

Outlaw1979 HB User

i had anxiety 2 years prior to reflux I notice when its this illness (gerd I focus on that it bothers me.When im worried about something else its alot better.I belive anxiety makes anything worse even a tootache..

My question is can anxiety as such no make meds work as good as they should?if the anxiety is so bad your going to worry yourself crazy therefor making you refux more.Sometimes even deep breathing helps..Ive been disablded because of my anxiety gerd just puts it over the top..

Closed Thread