It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 08:11 AM   #1
(female)

patfield HB User
Losing Sleep due to fluttering in chest and stomach

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have been desperately searching for an answer to the fluttering I feel in my chest and stomach. I have been diagnosed with GERD and I also have a hiatal hernia. I have been taking 40 mg Nexium for almost a year now. Every now and again I go through a period when I get fluttering that can start in my chest and go down to my mid-section. It doesn't hurt but I get so uptight about it I cannot sleep. It happens in the middle of the night. I don't notice that I get it during the day. I also have a pain in my upper left chest just above my breast. It is always tender to the touch and can be quite painful when my GERD is acting up. Anybody have either of these problems and any suggestions to correct them.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
(male)

Mike137100 HB User
Re: Losing Sleep due to fluttering in chest and stomach

I have those fluttering sensations but i feel them mostly in my stomach. They maybe PVC's or pre-ventricular contractions of the heart. They are harmless, but people with GERD tend to have them more something about the acid stimulating the Vagus Nerve. Have you had a EKG? I noticed when I was taking Nexium they were worst, along with the achy joints, chest pain, abdominal pain and constant belching. I stopped taking Nexium and just take Gaviscon if it gets really bad. I tried prilosec otc and that gave me headaches. I don't think the PPIs agree with me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #3
(male)

matty_boston HB User

I agree with Mike. I could be PVCs from your heart. I have them and they can be quite scary, but I been told that its benign. I would recommend seeing a cardiologist to see if it is that. If so, at least you would know what it is and be better able to deal with it. You may need to wear an event monitor which allows you to record your hear rythm when you are feeling this flutter.

Good luck!

Old 08-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
(female)

Casey2 HB User

I also have those fluttery feelings in my stomach and maybe my esophagus. I no longer take PPIs because of side effects and am just taking ranitidine now. When I asked my doctor about them he said they were harmless. I usually wake up in the night with them. I don't know what you can do to stop them-mine usually stop after a few minutes. It is scary though. I've been trying to eat fewer carbohydrates and it seems to be helping some.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
(female)

patfield HB User

I thank you all for your replies. It is good to know that I am not alone in having these flutters. I am trying to get off the Nexium and have been taking apple cider vinegar and honey. It seems to be helping a bit but I am still getting the flutters. I have had an EKG and as far as I know it was normal. I am going to try to cut down on the carbs to see if that helps at all.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
(female)

patfield HB User

I thank you all for your replies. It is good to know that I am not alone in having these flutters. I am trying to get off the Nexium and have been taking apple cider vinegar and honey. It seems to be helping a bit but I am still getting the flutters. I have had an EKG and as far as I know it was normal. I am going to try to cut down on the carbs to see if that helps at all.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:58 PM   #7
(male)

matty_boston HB User

Pat,

The key is to have the EKG when you are experiencing the flutters,otherwise the EKG can show a normal rhythm. That is why I suggested an event monitor which is like an EKG but only records when you push a button (when you are experiencing the flutters)

Old 08-16-2006, 04:18 PM   #8
(female)

suelynn HB User

I don't have the flutters, but when my symptons flare up, I get a pain in the upper right side of my chest, they only last a second, but scares me..I notice everyone talks about Nexium, have you tried others? I take Aciphex..and don't seem to have any side effects.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
(female)

kattjo5220 HB User

I get these too. Hopefully in time you will relax and realize that it is just the reflux.

What I do is take benedryl when I get them and go to sleep. Works everytime!

The flutter/heart palps still cause me some anxiety but not much, I have been thru a complete cardiac workup and all is well.

Oh sometimes just taking a tums will help

Katt

Old 08-16-2006, 09:51 PM   #10
(male)

Stoney109 HB User

i think i get these flutters too. i usually only get them in the morning when i wake up, or when im waking up from a nap. its like my heart and/or pulse is racing, fluttering is a perfect word for it, and it stops it slows back down to normal within 1-3 minutes. this what you all are talking about?

Old 08-18-2006, 07:04 AM   #11
(female)

patfield HB User

My flutters happen during the night and have lately been keeping me awake alot. They can be anywhere from my upper chest to my stomach. I think I get them during the day as well but because I am busy I don't notice them as much. Sometimes I do feel like my heart is racing but when I take my pulse it isn't. I often have to take a deep breath because I feel like I am not breathing properly. I think that I get very anxious when I get these feelings and that may be part of it. I get hot flashes now and again as well but don't know whether they are related to the reflux or menopause.

I lost so much sleep last night that I actually started taking the Nexium again. I think I will make an appointment with my doctor AGAIN and see what she thinks about these flutters.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:33 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

Patfield - you are the first person who ever reported hot flashes with regards to reflux. It sounds like you probably are going thru menopause, but I am passed it by eight years, however, the hot flashes appear most times, during the night, while I am having a GERD attack.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:54 PM   #13
(female)

patfield HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolasmom
Patfield - you are the first person who ever reported hot flashes with regards to reflux. It sounds like you probably are going thru menopause, but I am passed it by eight years, however, the hot flashes appear most times, during the night, while I am having a GERD attack.
I am finished with menopause now (just last year) but there is a definite connection between my hot flashes and the GERD attacks. When I get the pains in my chest, I often have a hot flash as well.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:46 PM   #14
(male)

Mike137100 HB User

Well, I have experienced night sweats when my Gerd is acting up. And I am a male.

Closed Thread