It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2006, 08:12 AM   #1
(female)

tlily HB User
Bile reflux?????

Does anyone know what are the symptoms of bile reflux? Also how is it different from acid refux?

I do not have a gallblader and I know that the liver takes over the function of the gallblader and just wonder if I am producing too much bile and it is backing up.

Thanks for any thoughts or info that you may have.

Tlily

Old 08-19-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
(female)

Sun Flower HB User
Re: Bile reflux?????

Acid reflux, is a condition in which the liquid content of the stomach regurgitates (backs up, or refluxes) into the esophagus. Bile reflux is when bile (the digestive fluid produced in the liver) flows upward (refluxes) from the small intestine into the stomach and esophagus.

Bile reflux and acid reflux have similar symptoms , but unlike acid reflux bile reflux inflames the stomach , often causing a burning like pain in the upper abdomen. Other symptoms may include: frequent heartburn, vomiting bile, nausea and maybe a cough or hoarseness.

I have known many people who suffer bile reflux after gallbladder removal.

Sun Flower

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
(female)

tlily HB User

Sun Flower

Thanks for your reply. How do they treat it? Is it mre resistant to treatment than acid reflux. I am having another endoscope on Monday. I have the first one 2 months ago and nothing seems to work. Nexium has helped some but stillhave the throat thing going on and burning in my stomach. Could they tell if I am suffering from bile reflux from the endoscope?

Any info would be appriecated.

Tlily

Old 08-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
(female)

Sun Flower HB User

I am sure they can diagnose bile reflux with endoscope. Usually they will suspect bile reflux when a large amount of bile is present in the stomach along with signs of gastritis.

As for Nexium, it hasn't been proved to be affective in treating bile reflux. There are other medicines available, (Ursodeoxycholic Acid) for instance, has been proven to be affective for bile reflux, but only your doc. can tell you which one is convienient for you.

Sun Flower

Old 08-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
(male)

Outlaw1979 HB User

They found Bile reflux on my first scope the 2nd showed nothing like that I do have gastritis..meds dont work for me at times none of em so not a great time right now.
Outlaw

Old 08-19-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
(female)

BarbsEsq HB User

Tlily, I was so glad to see your post. That is a question that I have wanted to ask someone for months. It is a question that I keep forgetting to ask my gastroenterologist every time I see him and when I call and leave messages for a call back he doesn't call back, they just want me to make another appt. I don't want to go into the office just to ask one question.
What are your symptoms? I had my gall bladder out last October and since then I have had lots of reflux symptoms that I treated at first with OTC Zantac once then twice a day. Then I developed a lump like sensation in my throat that wouldn't go away. My ENT scoped me and said he saw inflammation and treated me with once a day Prevacid. That did not seem to improve my symptoms and about a month ago I asked and was told I could up the dose to two times a day and now my symptoms seem to be relieved. They do act up again when I eat or drink what I am not supposed to like coffee, alcohol or fried foods. The symptoms ease up when I am good and watch what I take in. So I am not sure if it is bile reflux or standard acid reflux. My GI doc did say it seems like I have LPR vs. standard GERD but it an endoscopy the only way to see if it is bile or acid? Interestingly, I didn't have chronic reflux symptoms prior to having my gall bladder out. Of course I am happy to not have my gall bladder symptoms anymore but the lump/mucous feeling in my throat seems to have only started post-surgery. I will be interested to hear how your second endoscopy goes and what their recommendations are.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
(female)

tlily HB User

BarbsEsq

My symptoms are a lot like yours. I had my gallblader out 30 years ago. That is a long time. I have had IBS after the removel. I have had acid reflex off and on through out my life and have taking something to relieve it and then it did not come back for years. I would get it once in a while off and on and meds always helped. However the nightmare started 7 months ago when the d@# thing started and got very bad and nothing would help. Zantac, protonix prolesec would all help during different times in my life and now it doesn't. I even took two protonix and a zantac and nothing would help/ Then I went to nexium and was taking two but it gave me more burining and throat problems. Now I am on one nexium and somedays are better than others. I have much burning in my stomach and chest, throat problems which is burning and feels like I have post nasal drip. The lump in my throat is a little better than before. I have a horrible taste in my mouth. Yes mucus in my throat to.

The last endorscope I had two months agao was done by my surgeon who found redness in my stomach with many small polops that were benign. He said that they can even go away and they do not produce symptoms. Now the GI I am seeing can not believe that two nexiums will not take care of the symptoms from what he sees in the endoscope pictures that he wants to do it himself. I also have many sweats that I think it is menopausal. Now all thise symptoms became worse whem my menopause got worse. I really do not want to do that D%$ test but still feeling horrible. Doc said that he doubts he will find anything different. Says it can be all stress.....RIGHT

Tlily

Tlily

Old 08-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #8
(female)

tlily HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw1979
They found Bile reflux on my first scope the 2nd showed nothing like that I do have gastritis..meds dont work for me at times none of em so not a great time right now.
Outlaw

How far apart were your scopes? Outlaw....this is not fun. I hope that we all will feel better soon.

Tlily

Old 08-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #9
(female)

patfield HB User

This is an interesting thread. I too, do not have a gall bladder anymore. It was removed about 6 years ago. I never had acid/bile reflux before it was taken out. I actually never even heard of bile reflux before I read this post. Now I am wondering if that is what I have. I have been really bad lately. The different allergy seasons make me worse. I have been taking one Nexium a day and sometimes take a Zantac as well when it is really bad. It is interesting that you say that Nexium doesn't work any more. I have found this as well. It worked for a while and then it didn't work so good. When I take the Zantac as well, it seems to be a bit better. I don't know whether it is okay to do that, but the way I look at it, whatever works!! I think I may just ask my doctor about bile reflux and see if he thinks that may be my situation.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:20 PM   #10
(female)

danilee HB User

Oh my, I am having a burning sensation in my hest and upper abdomen. I take Nexium for "suspected" GERD. I never had heartburn (except when preggo) and only have sour stomach.
Had GB removed 1 week ago, and experiencing chest burning.

Also, was in ER last night for the chest pains and everything cheked out OK, even had a MRI with contrast (which got real hot on the inside).

This feeling is freaky. I dont like it. Its like heartburn, but lower and across the chest more. SUCKSSSSSSSS
Let me know whats up people!! Thanks

DAni

Closed Thread