It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
(female)

wmjsease HB User
does peanut butter affect acid reflux

Just wanted to know if peanut butter can trigger acid reflux? I eat a spoonful every morning with my cereal. ( I know it sounds crazy but I do). I'm overweight and know I need to lose weight. I have really bad chest pain all of the time. I take protonix in the morning and prevacid at night. I do have a history of gerd, and my last endo showed a little gastritis. That was about 2-3 years ago. I'm lightheaded all of the time with really bad headaches, and chest pains and burning. Don't know if any of this is causing any of this. Let me know what you all think. Thanks

Old 08-25-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User
Re: does peanut butter affect acid reflux

I'd say yes! Peanut butter is probably one of the most-acid inducing foods because it is primarily fat. It requires more energy to digest (just like any other fatty food), which requires more acid to do the job. Lay off the PB, and switch to a low-fat carb-based diet. Simple sugars are easily digested.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

hmm... peanut butter has never given me any problems, but trial and error is the only way to find out what gives you problems and what doesn't. The best thing would be to lay off the peanut butter for about 1-2 weeks and see how you feel.. if you feel better, you know the answer! If nothing changes, I doubt peanut butter was a culprit.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
(male)

gnznroses HB User

i eat peanut butter all the time. doesn't seem to bother me.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
(male)

HisKid1973 HB User

I enjoy peanut/almond butter at least once a week with something, BUT I found out not to eat it after 7 pm..It really upsets my stomach if I eat it before bedtime..God Bless..kim

Old 08-25-2006, 04:28 PM   #6
(female)

wmjsease HB User

thank you all for the replys.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:39 PM   #7
(female)

wmjsease HB User

Yep I have told my doctor about the lightheadedness, and headaches, chest pain etc. I have been tested for lyme disease, heart disease, etc. I am currently being sent to a neurologist, my third one, to see if some of it may be ms. I had an endoscopy done about 2-3 years ago, so I might need another one done. The only problem is that I don't have any insurance, and I know it will be very expensive.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:53 PM   #8
(female)

SickofAcid HB User

Not only is peanut butter fatty, but nuts are also known to carry mold on them. (not visible) Mold is horrible for acid reflux...try to stick with more alkaline foods & drinks. There are many books out there that will give you lists of alkaline foods. Try your health food store or on Amazon.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
(male)

HisKid1973 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjsease
I don't have any insurance, and I know it will be very expensive.
Been there..Ended up unable to work so I appled at the job center and they connected me with voc rehab. I ended up being sent to 5 Drs. who concluded I have Hashi's thyroid, bilateral sacrilitis, dementia( poss. from thyroid issues). Psyc said I was depressed( my wife laughed when I told her that)...ended up with al kinds of testing paid for..I was finally dx-ed with Fibromyalgia on top of that. One doc said I should just apply for my SSDI.. I did in April 05 and got my first payment in Dec. 05.. I would check some programs out that your state has..May God bless and guide you..K.
PS..I am 55

Closed Thread