It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
How should I raise my bed in order to avoid acid reflux at night?

How high do I need to raise my bed? How should I do it?

IS

The following user gives a hug of support to kevinla:
aaaabhatia (01-11-2012)
Old 08-29-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
(female)

suelynn HB User
Re: How should I raise my bed in order to avoid acid reflux at night?

I ordered a wedge pillow from JC Penney catalog...seems to help me

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

My friend put supports made of wood underneath the legs of the bed frame at the head of the bed. The bed is now on an angle and I guess there's different ways to make sure the bed frame won't slip off the blocks. I'm not sure how high this is supposed to be either. You can also buy a body pillow that's made of memory foam and use that instead of actually moving the bed. Hopefully someone who has their bed raised will come by and have more information for you.

Last edited by taape; 08-29-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

If you raise the head of your bed, the recommended amount is 4-6 inches. My GI doc recommended using a couple bricks. I just got some risers at the local bed and bath store that have a cup in the top to keep my castors from moving. I have had my bed propped up about 5 inches for about 5 months. It seems to help some, but I still haven't totally gotten used to sleeping on an incline. Sometimes I wake with my feet hanging off the bed or my covers have slipped off during the night.

Be careful if you just try to prop your head. Some people find wedges are helpful. NEVER prop on pillows instead. They can throw your esophagus out of alignment causing the acid to be worse.

Also, sleeping on your left side helps with the reflux symptoms. Kind of difficult to get used to if you aren't used to, but I think it is worth it.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
(male)

Given2Fly HB User

I've wanted to prop the bed up for a while, but my girlfriend isn't for it, how are those body wedge things, just as good, or not even worth it.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I think you should raise the head of your bed not your head about 4".

Old 08-30-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

The best way (most expensive) would be to purchase an electric bed that raises and lowers head and/or feet. The lower part of bed could be adjusted to keep you from sliding out of bed and upper part elevate upper body amount needed.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:13 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User

Is raising the head of my bed 9 inches too much? I am able to sleep this way. Is it less beneficial to raise my bed more than 6 inches?

Kevin

Old 08-31-2006, 07:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I guess it would be OK but 4 to 6 inches is all you need.
But try it -- It just may help more --if you don't slide off-- lol

Old 08-31-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
(female)

suelynn HB User

I have found my wedge pillow great, and it does not bother my husband..I can't picutre raising the whole front of the bed..try the pillow, I do put my reg pillow on top of it, and sometimes i wake up and find that I have slipped down a bit, but you just puxh your pillow back to the top.

As far as the left side, I get more reflux on that side, it just feels different, like there is more pushing on the esophagus

Old 08-31-2006, 07:36 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

JudyL HB User
Lightbulb Re: How should I raise my bed in order to avoid acid reflux at night?

dont stack pillows that will hurt you more then do you good.

Your suppose to use bricks..under the head of your bed raise it up about 4 to 6 inches..its a pain cause the blankets slide down and the beds a pain to make in the morning..but it really does help to do this....I have bricks under both my beds in mass and sc...

For those using anacids...forget the mylanta and maalox. the very best anacid to buy over the counter is Gaviscon. Maxium strenght Gavison liquid.
Take two tablespoons and drink a glass of water with it..not to many people know to do this .as it makes a foaming barrier rise up in your lower esopahgus and protects it.
Mylanta and maalox may even make things worse by giving you loose bowels.
they also have gavison tablets but i find the liquid works best..and stick with it..espeically before bed..and even if your taking prilosec or zantac or tagament dont matter add this to your therapy.
Another good drug to add is carafate...if you never heard of it before ask your doctor to prescribe it for you.
You take it an hour before you eat or a few hours after your eat..it makes like a bandaide and protects the inflammed area if you have gastritis...and makes you heal much quicker.
Never ever stop taking your medications just because you start to feel better.. follow directions as given to you..
It takes a good 6 to 8 months of taking your meds to heal certain conditions of the stomach and esophagus.
And of course stay away from all foods and drinks that aggrivate the condition..even though you are feeling better espeically.
coffee
tea
chocolate
alcohol
green peppers
onions
garlic
acidic juices.
spices
even mayonaisse and most salad dressings will aggrivate the condition

i haven't touched any of these in 10 years:
its just not worth the pain..
and most of you have learned that by now or you will real fast.

judyl

Closed Thread