It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2006, 07:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Question Prilosec & nightmares

I've been taking Prilosec for the past 4 weeks for GERD. It seems to help and I no longer get GERD during the waking hours (still get it sometimes when I sleep though). My main concern is since I've starting taking it I have nightmares just about every night. Vivid dreams that usually on the negative side. Has anybody else experienced this when taking PPI's? Is their any way to prevent this? Right now I take my Prilosec before dinner, I'm thinking of moving it up to before lunch and see if that helps. My worry though is that it will have less effect when I sleep.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User
Re: Prilosec & nightmares

I've heard nightmares are a common side effect of PPIs.
Maybe if you take earlier in the day it would help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I'll try moving it up before lunch from now on. Will probably take Previcid or something not as strong before going to bed, maybe that stuff that forms a barrier in stomach. I'm hoping that will take care of the reflux I get in the throat when sleeping.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I've had constant nightly nightmares since taking Protonix and before that, Aciphex. I took 2 pills per day (AM, PM). Three weeks ago I started only taking a morning dose -one pill of Protonix and so far I haven't had any nightmares, just a few weird dreams. This is the only way I figured to stop the nghtmares. I was getting so exhausted after 6 1/2 months of nightmares. I mentioned this side effect to both doctors who said that they had not heard of this. More patients should tell their doctors. Can you take less medication. I think it was the combination of less overall medication per day and taking it in the morning.

Last edited by taape; 08-30-2006 at 06:58 PM.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
(female)

viblakah HB User

I take aciphex twice a day and have the weirdest,wildest dreams. I wake up feeling like I'm crazy sometimes. Still beats the reflux though. Sometimes I take a Lunesta before I go to sleep and have a completely blissfull sleep. I am not incouraging sleeping pills, but it sure beats the hell of out the craziness sometimes. Talk to you Dr. though before you do this.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

VIblakah,

I agree with you 100%. The vivid negative dreams are something that for me, is tolerated, because it beats the heck out of the reflux. I don't take sleeping pills or benzos like Ambien or Zanax anymore, because I realized that I would need to take them every darn night to control the dreams. But when I tried them, they definately stopped me from dreaming, or possibly just aided in helping me forget whatever I was dreaming. But I haven't touched anything like that in at least 2 years, and I just live with the nightmares every night. I think I can tolerate them pretty well because I'm not an anxious person, and I tend to forget that I had the nightmare within 5 minutes of waking up.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:21 PM   #7
(female)

bonib HB User

I got on the board today specifically to see if the Nexium could be causing my dreams. I have been taking nexium for 2 weeks and have been having these strange dreams. They are not so horrible that I wake up screaming. But they are definitely on the negative side and I do wake up. The strangest thing for me is there seems to be a theme. My dreams are about animals and they don't start out as a dream about an animal. An animal will just show up and do something bad. By the way I love nature and animals. Is this weird or what?

Do these go away and for those of you that have had them. Do you have them every night. Just wondering and thanks for letting me share.

Bonnie

Old 08-31-2006, 06:59 PM   #8
(female)

Lexijones99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonib
I got on the board today specifically to see if the Nexium could be causing my dreams. I have been taking nexium for 2 weeks and have been having these strange dreams. They are not so horrible that I wake up screaming. But they are definitely on the negative side and I do wake up. The strangest thing for me is there seems to be a theme. My dreams are about animals and they don't start out as a dream about an animal. An animal will just show up and do something bad. By the way I love nature and animals. Is this weird or what?

Do these go away and for those of you that have had them. Do you have them every night. Just wondering and thanks for letting me share.

Bonnie
That's funny because I've been dreaming about bears alot. I also have nightmares and the strangest dreams since taking Prilosec.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

My dreams seem to be from a negative area of my brain. Anything I may have a fear of tends to show up in my dreams since taking Prilosec. I have these dreams probably 5-6 nights out of the week. Not sure why I'm getting one good night of sleep, maybe eating something or exercise? Haven't found out why.

Closed Thread