It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
(male)

Roscoe36 HB User
Chest pain, dazy, lightheaded, phlegm, fatigue, shortness of breath, bouding pulse

Ok, this might be a little long, but I want to get it all out there. I have been experiencing chest pain for more than a year now. I am 28 and used to party pretty regularly, including heavy drinking and some things I shouldn't do (let's just leave it at that), and for a long time thought that it was that.

Anyway, about ten months ago, I was painting my apartment and the chest pain was so bad that I had my cousin take me to the ER. Complete work up and I was deemed ok. Then I went to a doctor and had an EKG and an echocardiogram and was clear on both. So I went on with my life.

Over the past four months, the pain got worse and I realized that it was much worse after a night of heavy drinking. I also noticed that when I drank I would get VERY rapid heart beats (don't know the exact BPM). Soon, I was dazy and lightheaded most days and get short of breath and sweat during not so heavy exertion (however, I have no problem running on the treadmill, etc.). Therefore, worrying that this was my heart (I was convinced I had cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure), I saw three cardiologists and had another echo, numerous EKGs, exercise stress test, 24 hour holter monitor, and recently a cardiac CT. My girlfriend thinks I am crazy to get all these tests, but the pain and weird symptoms I feel are scary as hell. I have stopped drinking, as the throbbing pulse in my neck is too scary to be worth it.

Although I am still not convinced that the heart is not involved, from reading on this site, I think I may have some sort of GERD, especially since the CT showed a hiatal hernia and the pain and heavy breathing is MUCH worse at night. Also, I feel like I always have phlegm in my throat and lower nasal area and can never get rid of it. The pain is just on the left side of my sternum and sometimes in my lower left back side (at bottom of ribs). I also feel like my chest is much fuller on the left side than the right side.

I have been on protonix for about a week but it hasn't done anything.

Can this be GERD???? Thanks in advance to anyone that answers, as I am a newcomer who is really concerned!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
(male)

Roscoe36 HB User
Re: Chest pain, dazy, lightheaded, phlegm, fatigue, shortness of breath, bouding pulse

I should add that all the heart tests showed no problems. So can these symptoms be caused by GERD, including being tired and out of it all the time?

The Following User Says Thank You to Roscoe36 For This Useful Post:
Jeronomo (05-31-2011)
Old 08-31-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
(female)

honeydew677 HB User
Re: Chest pain, dazy, lightheaded, phlegm, fatigue, shortness of breath, bouding pulse

I was recently diagnosed with GERD, I can tell you those are my exact symptoms. I have been on Nexium for about a month. I feel a little better but my chest kills me besides the fact that I am always choking on the lump in my throat or the phlegm that feels like glue that I cant hack up. I am new to GERD as well and my dr is not one for bedside manner, so I am learning alot on this site. Keep reading and good luck!

Old 08-31-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
(male)

Roscoe36 HB User

Thanks, honeydew. Do you also feel the strong heart beats when you drink alcohol? To me, in addition to the general feeling of being out of it and waking up with a racing heart rate in the middle of the night, this is the scariest. Good luck to you.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
(female)

honeydew677 HB User

I havent drank alcohol in a while, but sometimes just getting out of bed or walking from the house to the car my chest hurts so bad and I get out of breath I feel like I am going to pass out.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
(male)

heidelberg HB User
Re: Chest pain, dazy, lightheaded, phlegm, fatigue, shortness of breath, bouding puls

I cant beleive I have found this thread!

I have been worrying like hell for weeks about my heart and my symtoms are EXACTLY the same as yours! I am 28 and have partied really hard for the past ten years. When I was in my early 20's I had to go and have a load of tests done because it felt like I had a ball in my pipe when I swallowed, to cut a long story short it turned out to be Hiatal Hernia. Since then I have been taking Lanzaprasanol 30mg, only when I party at the weekend though because that was when I got the heartburn.

Recently I have been having awful chest pains, so much so I have posted in the Heart section of this very forum! I to have experienced a pain in the bottom of my left side, just below the rib cage, it lasted for about a week and my pharmacist friend told me it could of been a chest infection due to me smoking.

I would be very interested to have an update from you as to how you are getting on. I have been thinking about making a doctors appointement but I was worried he would just fob me off. If I could gather some info off you to relay to him that would be great! What EXACTLY is this GERD?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #7
(male)

KPK1 HB User

Hi guys. I am also 28 and had a history of abusing alcohol. I drank heavily form 20 - 28. I have the same symptoms as you guys. When I would drink alcohol, I would notice my heart rate increase. If I smoked a cicarette, it would go up to around 120 bpm and stay there for hours. Recently after I drink beer, the next day I am bloated and have terrible reflux. The funny thing is, I usually feel fine while I am drinking. I currently suffer from gerd, bloating in the digestive tract (especially the stomach), tightness in the throat, and bifficulty taking a deep breath. Nexium and other ppo's make me bloat worse. I have been alcohol free for a month, which has helped.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #8
(male)

heidelberg HB User
Re: Chest pain, dazy, lightheaded, phlegm, fatigue, shortness of breath, bouding puls

What is wrong with us then? This has only really started with me but it is worrying

Any idea's?

Old 09-04-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
(male)

Roscoe36 HB User

Hey guys. Glad that has struck a chord with some people and good to hear I am not alone.

First, I have done a lot of research re: these ****** symptoms, so a lot of the drinking stuff COULD (not saying that it is or isn't) be related to the heart. Alcohol is like poison to the heart and if you have been binge drinking for a long time, there might have been an affect. Once there is an affect, drinking more obviously has a greater and greater affect. Still, you would have had to drink A LOT (like 7 drinks every day for 10 years) to have done permanent damage. I have also learned that quitting/drastically reducing it may make a world of difference. I have received a lot of heart tests (2 echos, exercise stress test, and cardiac ct scan) to make sure I am ok. I don't know if you need to get all those (I went a little overboard), but I would advise at least going to a cardiologist to rule the heart out (one visit may do the trick).

Now that I have, I am on protonix (for like 2 weeks) and it seems to be working. However, I went out for my ten year high school reunion last night and threw a lot of beers back and my heart was racing again and I could see my heart throbbing in my neck.

Heidelberg, google GERD. It is gastro(......) reflux disease. Causes a lot of these kind of symptoms. I have not been diagnosed with it yet, but since the protonis is working and I have ruled the heart out, I must have it.

Still, I am worried that I still have shortness of breath, chest pain near my heart and my heart pulsating near the base of my neck.

Do you guys ever have this???? Scary stuff.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:42 AM   #10
(male)

KPK1 HB User

Hi guys. Search for "LPR" and "GERD" on the internet. LPR is a type of reflux that has very little to no heartburn, but causes shortness of breath etc. I definately have this. I have noticed that when I consume dairy products my symptoms are much worse. It seems the stomach pressure/bloating is causing the reflux, high heartrate, etc.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #11
(male)

Azghoul HB User

OMFG! Im so so soooooo glad i found this thread. Im going to give you the long spill of what im dealing with and i'll be damned if its not like the orginal post.

So, many months ago I was diagnosed with hypertension, because of head aches behind my eyes due to the blood pressure they found out that i have
HPB. So i take toprol for it (works great pulse stays right at 74 at almost all times) I work construction and even with heavy lifting it never stays high. Problem one solved.

Now around the same time my doctor reccomended i have a scope done b/c of my severe and i mean SEVERE!!! heartburn. Scope was done and i had a lot of damage to my esophageus (sp?) So they put me on nexeum. Problem 2 solved.

Now here i was thinking i was all better and ready to start rocking out again...wrong. Like the OP Im 25 and have drank a good amnt since about 20. One reason for the reflux being bad. As well as the BP. Now I have very high anxiety so the symptoms im going to describe are driving me C R A Z Y!

First is the pain in the left side of the chest. That artery or whatever it is that runs along the left side of the chest wall close to the arm pit is what i normally feel thumping. However my heart rate is always good 74 and sometimes in the high 60's. Second is the fact i am aware of my heartbeat when im not busy. IE sitting on the couch i can feel it thumping in my chest. The pain in the chest is on both sides on days where my reflux gets bad and i get gassy then it seems the gas pressure makes the dull stabbing feeling worse on both sides.

So one day this caused me a full blown panic attack. So off to the ER i rush. During the full blown panic attack they do a EKG and everything looks 100% fine. You would think that knowing that during an anxiety attack that my heart was fine that would do it for me...nope. Another 3-4 trips to the ER followed in the next few weeks. After 5 EKG's, 4 chest x-rays, blood work, urine work, multiple doctors and even an echo that showed up fine, im still not any better.

I also get pain right in the middle of my chest (sturnem??) I cant even sit still anymore b/c the more i shake my foot the less i feel the heart beat. None of the symtpoms seem to match heart disese b/c of the normal bp and heart rate. Unlike the other posters the alcohol seems to make me feel better. I suppose it calms my anxiety. I find myself waking up in the middle of the night panicky and worried im going to have a heart attack b/c of this constant left side of the chest pain and the feeling of my heart beat thumping in my chest. I hope any of this helps. Sorry its so long but damn if i didnt think i was going loco.

Oh and i do know from my doctor that gerd will cause you to have a cough and the gunk that comes with it. Sometimes it seems when i cough hard for a minute or so i get very light headed. Dont know if that makes sense. I also get short of breath but i think thats my anxiety. Thanks for listning.

Last edited by Azghoul; 09-08-2006 at 03:09 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Azghoul For This Useful Post:
goombs (10-29-2010)
Old 09-09-2006, 07:19 AM   #12
(female)

DarkFlame HB User

I get a funny lump like feeling in my throat too, and it makes noices when i swallow. sometime's it's really loud and other's it's not...

Can't really say what kinda noises they are... a bit like strong gulping, like you would do if you're throat is swallen. but mine's not.

As for the alcho, i suffer really bad when i drink. good thing is i don't normaly only on celbrations like the other weekend.
I get real bad pains in my chest and the acid is horrible and really hurts me.

I also get that when i drink Coca Cola. So i have to be careful.

I've noticed that i'm keep getting niggly pains in my chest, and dazy real dazy at work... sometimes lightheaded but that's only when i burp too much.
Shallow breathing yes, i have to take deep breaths to remind me that i am still breathing...

Old 09-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #13
(male)

Roscoe36 HB User

After reading all this, I think that I have only one choice: stop drinking alcohol or limit myself to like one beer. Although it will suck, I guess I have no choice.

Although I am glad that you all are experiencing similar symptoms to mine (so that I don't feel like I am alone, experiencing weird symptoms no one else is feeling), I nevertheless hope it gets better for you all.

On an unrelated note, I have been taking protonix for about three weeks and my nasal drip and phlegm in my throat (that I cannot cough up) have gotten worse and I think I am more bloated. Does this sound crazy?????

Last edited by Roscoe36; 09-12-2006 at 02:36 PM.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #14
(male)

Mike137100 HB User

I was on Nexium and It also made me more bloated, increased my belching and my chest pain due to the excess gas. Over the counter Zantac relieves the burn but increases the belching, Prilosec OTC gave me intense headaches. It seems like nothing out there helps!!! This GERD just increases my anxiety. It is not fun

Old 09-19-2006, 12:18 AM   #15
(female)

Jamiecurls06 HB User

Hey,
Have any of you guys looked into the possibility of an ulcer? I had some of the symptoms you were all mentioning, and that's what it turned out to be! Just a suggestion!

Closed Thread