It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
(female)

featherweight HB User
How to get off PPI

Hello,

I have been on Prilosec for the past 7 years since having my GB removed. I would like to stop taking it and have tried just quiting BUT I found the acid reflux came back with a vengence. After reading about these drugs and how they work I understand your body actually produces more acid when you discontinue your PPI and then everything goes back to normal, whatever that is. I was too uncomfortable to stick it out.

Has anyone stopped their PPI and how did you do it? What side effects? Any ideas on how to taper off of them and if so, how long would you do this?
A week, month, months?

Also, what health food store suppliments could I consider as a replacement for the Prilosec?

Thanks, and have a great day.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: How to get off PPI

I cut down to Protonix one time a day starting three weeks ago. I'm doing this first before quitting all together. I really haven't noticed much of a problem like I thought I would. I get a little heartburn sometimes but as long as I stay on my bland type diet I'm ok. I just had to cut it down because of nightmares and messing up my sleep. But I have only been on PPI's since the beginning of the year so my stomach hasn't had to make that much of an adjustment as I haven't taken the medication that long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
(female)

featherweight HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taape
I cut down to Protonix one time a day starting three weeks ago. I'm doing this first before quitting all together. I really haven't noticed much of a problem like I thought I would. I get a little heartburn sometimes but as long as I stay on my bland type diet I'm ok. I just had to cut it down because of nightmares and messing up my sleep. But I have only been on PPI's since the beginning of the year so my stomach hasn't had to make that much of an adjustment as I haven't taken the medication that long.

Thanks for your experience. I have started cutting a bit off the end of my Prilosec every morning. I only take it once daily. So far everything is A-OK. I will try to snip a little more off in a week or so. I am just curious what others have done and what consequences they suffered as a result.

Thanks so much.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:15 AM   #4
(male)

samfoster1001 HB User

I Think you should not stop having medication.. But then cut down the dosage after consultation with your physician and have foods which are bland.. u know what i mean..

Not spicy.. not Oily.. Easy for the stomach to digest to get rid of reflux.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I did consult with my doctor who told me to only take it once daily instead of twice. I think that's a good idea. Since I can't cut the pills in half I'm planning on staying on the medication once a day until my next app't otherwise I was thinking about just taking 1/2 pill each day to see how that goes. I want to experiment with what I can and can't eat before I decide to not take any medication.

Closed Thread