It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
(male)

Ken7 HB User
I Have A Few Questions About My Reflux Problem

I started experienced excessive burping and after several weeks of
burping my voice started getting hoarse with a bit of an irritated
throat. My family doctor ran an upper GI (drinking the Barium) and I
was found to have a very small Hiatal Hernia and moderate Reflux (GERD).

My Doctor put me on Nexium and gave me some instructions on how to
change my diet, but he was not very specific about the diet and said
just to avoid Tomato products, citrus and caffeine. He told me that
spicy foods are not a problem.

I was on the Nexium for a full 10 days and my voice was still hoarse
and I still burp more than what would be considered normal along with
a irritated throat that comes and goes.

Now to be honest for many of those 10 days I did eat greasy fair
food, Chinese buffet food, a few cheeseburgers and fries and a few
stops at night for a Strawberry Blizzard at DQ. So I know I didn't
carry through 100% on the diet after reading more on reflux during the weekend.

So on Monday I started eating very bland with just vegetables and
chicken, turkey or Subtitute Egg whites with whole wheat bread for
sandwiches.

Here are a few questions I have:

Question 1:
On average, for someone with my symptoms, how long does it take to
start feeling improvements, knowing what I just told you?

Question 2:
And when you do get flair ups, on average, how long do flair ups last?

Question 3:
And how long after eating the wrong food, how soon afterwards will
this trigger these symptoms that I feel?

I'm trying to get a better idea how to determine which foods cause
problems for me, so the timing is something I need to get a better
idea about.

If there is any information I left out that would help with an answer,
please ask away.

Thanks for any information or help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2006, 06:53 AM   #2
(female)

patricia jean HB User
Re: I Have A Few Questions About My Reflux Problem

Iv'e had acid reflux for five years, and it's no better now with medication than it was five years ago. I take three Nexiums plus three Levsin a day... I had Nessin surgery three years ago....it didn't work...I don't eat anything with fat in it...I only drink water....no tomato products, no onions, nothing spicy or rich, no chocolate, peppermint and spearment, garlic, all caffenated drinks including coffe and tea, citrus fruits and juices, Anxiety makes it worse....I have mucus in my throat, which causes shortness of breath. I don't eat three meals a day, instead I munch all day long...don't fill up because it makes it worse. Don't eat three hours before going to bed. Acid reflux never goes away, it may let up for a day or two then it's back...Good luck.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
(male)

Sean II HB User

Same here. Been suffering with this for fifteen years, taken every PPI out there with no results. I have changed diets with no luck. No matter what I eat I have flare-ups. Sometimes I can eat anything I want and have no symptoms, other times a freakin carrot will make feel like I ate a side of beef. For me, by far, the most common symptom is the constant need to belch, I have to force it and it only brings relief for a few seconds. I am burping all freakin day. I just today had a scope done at my ENT due to food sticking in the upper part of my asophagus. My second most common symptom is constant throat clearing, very annoying to those around me. I can go weeks with no syptoms, I can go weeks with syptoms. Sometimes for a day or two with and without. There is no real pattern.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken7
I started experienced excessive burping and after several weeks of
burping my voice started getting hoarse with a bit of an irritated
throat. My family doctor ran an upper GI (drinking the Barium) and I
was found to have a very small Hiatal Hernia and moderate Reflux (GERD).

Wow, you really do sound a lot like me there!

My main problem is burping (small, unnoticeable except to me) – and hiccupping (likewise small unnoticeable) with it. I knew something was terribly wrong with me the 2 days I had burping every minute at least. And the main thing after that is throat hurts/scratchy/warm. Unlike some apparently who say they're relieved by burping, if I start burping, I know I'm in trouble. My throat will be suffering soon after too many burps (as will my stomach itself).

My GE doc (head of a top GE dept) doesn’t believe in diets for pure GERD/LPR. He says that theory is “old”, “outdated” and “has no proof”. However, as with those who actually distinguish the “disease” from the mere symptom of reflux, he does say it’s best to avoid chocolate and peppermint (I avoid all mints). These weaken the sphincter, so if you have the “disease” (not just the symptom), you need to avoid making it worse. (This could apply if you have hiatal hernia which by nature would “weaken” the sphincter, but that’s not a given either.) We really need to figure out if the sphincters are bad, or it's just something else. But that's hard to do.

Tomatoes were mentioned by my GP (my 1st visit for this), but most literature doesn’t mention this as weakening. I think it’s just because it’s acidic and can further hurt damaged tissue (esophagus = heartburn).

I suspect my GE doc is right, because I hardly notice any change whether I went on strict “boring” diet or ate “wild and crazy”. I’ve eaten wonderfully garlicky spaghetti and pizzas and lasagna with no problem, and been through hell on pea soup. I just plain seem to have good and (mostly) bad days, 8 mos later. Of course, any problems I do have may be mostly because of other problems in the upper GI (I may have a GB problem now), more than “acid-reflux disease”.

I keep trying to be “good” (even when my GE berates me for bothering to), but have no idea if it really helps. I’m still up in the air. I too would like to know if you “know right away” that some food is bad, or if it can be the next day! That would be VERY helpful to know what period to notice.

Last edited by Ol'Line Rebel; 09-26-2006 at 11:25 AM.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
(male)

Ken7 HB User

Well...I spoke with my doctor today and along with my research here and other places online we agreed that I should increase my dosage of Nexium up to 2X a day for the next 2 weeks and if there is no improvement, to call him in two weeks and we would try another medication.

It seems that if it hits the throat area, you really need to bump up the meds to 2X a day.

Closed Thread