It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
(female)

Julie Y HB User
Iron deficiency anemia caused by PPIs?

I have been taking Prevacid every day for a little over a year for heartburn. I have never been diagnosed by a gastroenterologist but I probably have GERD and/or hiatal hernia. I eat way too much and have alot of fat above the waist. The Prevacid has been working well; I still have issues at night with chest pains, bloating, and also anxiety issues. I blame myself because I cannot summon the willpower to improve my diet or exercise. Anyway, just found out today that I have iron deficiency anemia. Quite surprising, I eat plenty of healthy food and have never had this problem in 45 years. Some internet research reveals that iron deficiency anemia can be caused by PPIs - the reduction of stomach acid interferes with the body's absorption of dietary iron. This is discouraging, because the Prevacid has been working well for me. My next step is a test for fecal occult blood, then an appt with a gastro probably for an endoscopy. Has anyone else had the anemia?

Old 04-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User
Re: Iron deficiency anemia caused by PPIs?

That's a good quesion, I also take Prilosec, and are over 50, and trying to decide if i should continue taking my multi with iron, or go to the over 50 with no iron, would like to hear from someone who knows the answer to this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

That's a good quesion, I also take Prilosec, and are over 50, and trying to decide if i should continue taking my multi with iron, or go to the over 50 with no iron, would like to hear from someone who knows the answer to this.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
(male)

scott1360 HB User

hmm I wonder how that works? I have been taking PPIs for about 5 years now (Im 23) and dont think I experience any vitamin deficiencies but I guess I could be wrong.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

I took PPI since 2005. I've iron deficiency anemia about one and half year. Now the gastro dr gave me the iron infusion. Still unable to find out what caused it. I had 2 gastroscopies and 1 colonscopy done. No major or bleed found. PPI is not working. I'm still having a lot of heartburns.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

I no longer have heartburn and therefore take no pps but when I did have heart burn, I was slightly anemic despite a relatively healthy diet. I avoided citrus fruits for fear it would aggravate my heartburn. A nurse told me that vitamin c (found in citrus fruits) is needed by the body to process the iron.

Bsheba

Old 04-15-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

PPIs are known to cause pernicuous anemia, but I've never heard of them causing iron deficiency anemia.

Severe GERD and Gastroparesis- Prevacid, Domperidone, Zofran & Carafate as needed

Asthma- Advair 500/50, Qvar, Albuterol, Singular, Xolair

Old 04-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
(female)

AlmostParadise HB User

hi....this is exactly what happened to me. I am 43 and female and have been taking Pevacid and zantac for two years and then I end up with iron deficientcy just like you. So I research it and found out that b/c of the low acid in my stomach from taking PPI's I can't absord iron and other vitamins. So I went off all PPI"S and within 3 months my iron is back up.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Nice to know.. I don't have anemia issues though.. my stomach acid is abnormally concentrated the PPI's keep my normal. Ugh.. but it might explain my husband's behavior some what. Thanks for this posting and all the replies.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread