It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
(female)

Ema2 HB User
acid reflux and back pain

ok, where do I start...?
For the past two months I have had the most severe acid reflux which goes through my chest and feels like something is stuck. I have this for about 3-4 hours a day and it wont go away. Is this normal. I feel like Im going crazy

Old 11-05-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
(female)

IamNancy HB User
Re: acid reflux and back pain

My main symptom of acid reflux is burning back pain... I have it almost constantly and usually on the left side... 40 mg nexium 2xs a day doesn't seem to help, although it helped with most of the the burning pain at the top of my ribs..I am thinking I am just going to have to live with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2006, 06:51 AM   #3
(male)

Sean II HB User

Definitely a major symptom with me, burning back (right in the center) and pain/pressure behind the sternum...

Old 11-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
(male)

jj9500 HB User

Ema 2 - I get these terrible attacks (that's what I call them). They start in the mid chest and down to the center of my upper stomach by the rib cage. It doens't burn at all - it's a terrible pressure, it radiates to my back too - between the shoulder blades. It's the most terrible pain I've ever felt. I feel like I'm having a heart attack. Like somebody has a vice grip on my upper body and is just squeezing it. It will deminish away for about 10 minutes and then flares back up. The longest episode I had went on for 5 hours off and on. Even while on Protonix! During these episodes I take tums, maalox, whaever else I can find. It seems like it's almost air trapped inside my upper body. It is VERY scary. An ocasional burp helps things out. I know it sounds gross, but sometimes I actually regurgitate things up which leads me to beleive this is a acid reflux problem. It seems to flare up after heavy fattening things (last time I had it after spaghetti and buttered garlic breadsticks) Even the next day I feel soar in the chest area. I ws at the doc last year for it and they tell me to stay on the protonix when needed. I get back on when an episode flares up. But, after this last one....I'm almost tempted to go back in and find out if it truly is acid reflux - I'm wondering if it could be gall stone related. I had a gallbladder out 2 years ago, but i've read that gallstones can get trapped in your biled ducts and cause sypmtoms similar to the pressure in the upper abdomen that radiate to the back. Do my symptoms sound similar to what you have?

Old 11-06-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
(male)

Rodrick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj9500
Ema 2 - I get these terrible attacks (that's what I call them). They start in the mid chest and down to the center of my upper stomach by the rib cage. It doens't burn at all - it's a terrible pressure, it radiates to my back too - between the shoulder blades. It's the most terrible pain I've ever felt. I feel like I'm having a heart attack. Like somebody has a vice grip on my upper body and is just squeezing it. It will deminish away for about 10 minutes and then flares back up. The longest episode I had went on for 5 hours off and on. Even while on Protonix! During these episodes I take tums, maalox, whaever else I can find. It seems like it's almost air trapped inside my upper body. It is VERY scary. An ocasional burp helps things out. I know it sounds gross, but sometimes I actually regurgitate things up which leads me to beleive this is a acid reflux problem. It seems to flare up after heavy fattening things (last time I had it after spaghetti and buttered garlic breadsticks) Even the next day I feel soar in the chest area. I ws at the doc last year for it and they tell me to stay on the protonix when needed. I get back on when an episode flares up. But, after this last one....I'm almost tempted to go back in and find out if it truly is acid reflux - I'm wondering if it could be gall stone related. I had a gallbladder out 2 years ago, but i've read that gallstones can get trapped in your biled ducts and cause sypmtoms similar to the pressure in the upper abdomen that radiate to the back. Do my symptoms sound similar to what you have?
This is very simliar to what I've been dealing with lately....A good burp/belch relieves the pain for a good amount of time...I notice it more when on my feet on waking up in the middle of the night...Usually when I drink water it helps but today at work nothing was helping till I sat down for a bit...THen I went to subway an ate and now I'm fine..when I went to the doctor she said post nasal drip can cause this, so she gave me allerga D and flonase...I am thinking these medicines aren't really helping me 2 much..I aslo feel like I have mucus stick in my throat but it goes away after a while...we gotta find out what this is..cause its VERY ANNOYING!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:57 AM   #6
(female)

Ema2 HB User

Thank you so much for your message. I also think there might be a link to the gallbladder. I am seeing a consultant on friday and Im going to explain everything. The thing Im worried about is that most people have a gallbladder problem at a later stage in life. I am 26 and keep thinking why has this happened now. Some days I feel like Im going mad and the pain in my back between my shoulder blades can last for hours. Do you take any medication?

Old 11-07-2006, 07:58 AM   #7
(female)

Ema2 HB User

Do you take anything to help you?

Old 11-07-2006, 08:00 AM   #8
(female)

Ema2 HB User

Have you had an endoscopy? I would ask you doctor for an endoscopy to get to the root of the problem. This pain has taken over my life on a daily basis for the last 3 months and I feel like Im going crazy?

Old 11-08-2006, 07:10 AM   #9
(male)

Sean II HB User

I had suspected Gall bladder prior to LPR. Had numerous ultra-sounds including one with a synthetic fat IV drip to stimulate the gall bladder. Nothing showed yet the abdominal and rib and back pain persist, I even have pale/yellow stools for over five years, a key sign of gall bladder problems. I saw a Gastro surgeon at a university hospital and he says it is not being caused by my gall bladdder or liver. The only thing that can be causing it seems to be the reflux.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #10
(male)

alexe HB User

It would be nice after all this time to hear again from people in this thread. How are you doing? Did you find the source of the back pain?
In my case I am suspecting the back pain may be caused by sleeping on a bed wedge, which bends my back when I sleep on my side.
I have been on prilosec but it doesn't help. I get irritated throat and uncomfort in my esophagus (no chest pain).

Old 01-07-2008, 01:40 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Hey guys and gals,sounds like what your experiencing is something that i dealt with on a continuing basis for about 2 yrs.I have gerd,when it started i noticed a burning pain under my right breast on the bone.Got on ppi's things got better.One morning i wokeup with this dull like ache under my right breastbone that would radiate to my left sided shoulder blade.Got to the point that it stayed with me 24/7.Always felt like something felt stuck.Bout drove me over the edge.I had 4 different docs who were doing different tests.Sometimes they repeated tests.I had so many tests done i was startiing to feel like a guinea pig.After it was all over with and they couldnt find out what was wrong they gave up.The docs said that they didnt think my gerd had anything to do with the pressure.Funny tho that it started the same time my gerd did.After about 2 yrs ,i wokeup one morning and it was gone.Every once in awhile the pressure will showup under the breastbone,its usually disappear overnight or by the next night.Kinda worries me cause im afraid it might come back and stay for good.Be prepared because you just might not ever find out what causes the problem.Hope yours gets better.Take care.

Closed Thread