It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
Whats your Daily "acid reflux/Lpr medicine routine?

Hi, i was wondering what everyones acid reflux/LPR routine was do you guys take anything else other than 2 nexiums a day? what has worked for you along with the PPI? Thanks in advance for your response

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
(male)

300cman HB User
Re: Whats your Daily "acid reflux/Lpr medicine routine?

I know people think prilosec is worthless, but it seems to be working for me. I had the classic problems.. Throat clearing, lump in throat feeling, and excess mucus. It all started back in July and I had no idea what this was. So I kept on with my old habits. Drinking and eating whatever I wanted and not working out. Going to bed after a large meal. You name it I did it. During the same time my weight went up from 180lbs to 240lbs over a course of 3 years.

After reading and surfing the net I came to the conclusion that I had LPR. At this point I went to the local clinic (no insurance) and the doctor recommended that I just take an acid blocker and drop some pounds.

Now it's August and it's time to take action. I changed my diet (carbs,protein,low fat) and started to go the gym. At this time I was taking one prilosec a day. I did the prilosec for the 2 weeks ( I followed the directions on the box). My weight was slowing coming off, but I still had the throat problems. At this point I just decided to keep going the gym and try pepcid. Of course this did not work. I kept this up for about 6 weeks.

Come mid October, I decide to change my diet (Anabolic Diet). Keep in mind I'm not taking any meds. For the first 2 weeks I felt better, but not 100%. I would still get the lump in throat or a tight throat feeling. Come to find out whenever I would eat cheese, butter, or even cream for my coffee I would get the coughing and tightness in the throat.

So now it's the begining of Nov. I'm still on the anabolic diet, but the dairy is out. I'm also taking 2 prilosec/day. 1 in the morning and 1 with my last meal of the day. I'm still not at 100% I would have to say I'm about 75-80% better. The great thing about this is that this is only my 10th day on this routine and it seems to be working. I've also dropped 30lbs which is always a good thing.

I really think weight is a major factor with LPR. How many fellow LPR sufferers are overweight?

I hope this helps..

Take care and God Bless,
300cman

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2006, 07:20 AM   #3
(male)

oldman21 HB User
I figured it out

I too had exactly the same symptoms, especially when I ate butter, cheese, bacon. So I changed my diet and worked out, got a Infrared sauna and lost 30 lbs. My idiot Doctor could not solve the problem, so I took a shot in the dark and tried a "fuctional medicine" Doctor/Chiropractor. He figured out that I had LOW stomach acid, that's what was causing ALL the heartburn and pain. see [url]www.functionalmedicine.org[/url]

So now I take acid pills with every meal. If I run out of pills, i take a shot of lemon juice or vinegar - works every time. If I eat too much (like Sunday brunches) I take 2 pills. Get them at health food stores or I buy Metagenics Metagest (its the best, i have tried them all). My new Doctor says that 50% of his patients have the same problem - low stomach acid. I checked out stats on the net, most of us over 30 start to lose acid, at 50 its HUGE.
NEVER buy that Nexium crap, if your over 40 I guarantee you have low acid (if you live in America). AND, if your acid is low, it causes ALL kinds of problems like pain and infection (since you can't kill germs if its not acid enough).

I check my poop everyday to see how it forms and color. If its got problems, I try to adjust with more probiotics (live bacteria pills) and digestive enzymes. Its a constant battle, but its not bad at all. It NEVER bothers me in my sleep anymore unless I forget - but I keep some acid next to my bed just in case. U just have to learn what to look for.

Closed Thread