It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
(male)

GHMN HB User
Acid reflux and rapid heartbeat

Hi all:

I am awakened almost every morning sometime between 4 and 7 am with a pulsing feeling in my chest and an elevated heartbeat. Usually goes back to normal shortly after I wake up. I am on Aciphex for reflux and on Atenol for the heartbeat but after some temporary relief for a few weeks, it is back. I have had an endoscopy and the heart tests and all were fine.

Is anyone else aware of the reflux-heart palpitations connection?

Thanks.

Old 11-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User
Re: Acid reflux and rapid heartbeat

i've had reflux and heart issues for more than a year, and had all the heart tests done. all are normal.
I get irregular beats and sometimes fast beats (100+ per min).

i don't know if it correlates with my reflux or not. It does seem worse when I'm stressed but happens even when not stressed. i was on Toprol for a while and PPIs but stopped all meds when my side effects were worse than my symptoms. I just believe that meds don't help you with what is wrong but treat the symptoms --like sweeping it under the rug.

So I live with it. And pray I don't have a heart attack when it's really bad.

p.s. i also notice it early in the morning. that's when my heart is beating irregular.
I have given up drinking coffee every day and hoping that helps. we'll see.
good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2006, 05:28 AM   #3
(male)

Sean II HB User

Rapid, bounding heartbeat is a VERY common complaint with many who have reflux (myself included, only not so much in the past few years) I do not know the correlation but it tends to be very common.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

From what I can figure the rapid heart beat is caused by the Protonox as I never had this before

Old 11-12-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
(male)

oldman21 HB User
U will think I am crazy

I had the same problem with heartburn and gallbladder pain, turned out I had low stomach acid. I fixed it with lemon shots, 1 with a meal. Check it out on the net, 50% of us have low stomach acid!! Now I take acid pills with every meal, and enzymes, and iodine for underactive thyroid.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I've never seen it mentioned on medical resources yet, but alot of people complain of PACs and the like who have GERD/LPR.

I don't think it's (just) the medicine, because I noticed this lots of times before I knew I had a reflux problem. It would hit me mostly when I lay down to sleep. I could get to sleep but I'd just notice it when I'd lie to bed many times. I'd wonder why the heck I was having this pounding heartbeat and sometimes PACs, especially lying down!

Med's might aggravate it but I suspect many of us are just dealing with a vagus nerve problem which controls the heart as well as the esophagus and stomach.

Maybe we should be going to neurologists instead of GEs.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:48 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User

Does it mean its possible for this to lead to a heart attack? Do you guys also feellike someitmes a nerve is pinched in your chests? I feel it sometimes in my left chest.. I had ECG and xrays but it turned out normal. Its so scary sometimes I feel like I am just about to drop dead

Old 11-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
(male)

652 HB User

I know what you mean, Chikkie! Sometimes it comes out of nowhere and I get shortness of breath. Does this happen to anyone else? I Also get the palpitations and my wholechest/back are gets REAL tight, this usually goes away after 10-30 minutes. It's SO scary. I've been getting it alot more lately and I am getting bloated more too. Also, my left stomch feels wierd, achy!!
What's going on?

Old 11-13-2006, 08:20 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User

Yeah I have read alot of people complaining with the same thing.. I was actually rushed to the ER ones for this only to be placed inone corner and said to calm myself, they said I am just having panic attacks! Well yeah my tests are ok but then the feeling is just so awful! So you mean you also feel the chest flutter and the nerve pinched like thing? I am having it now and I am so scared my left arm is also abit crampy.

about your pain in the left tummy I have that too.. left right down up everyhere! my GI said its the irritated intestines which will is also supposed to be cured by the PPIS. But so far I've yet to feel the effect of it

Old 11-13-2006, 11:39 PM   #10
(male)

652 HB User

Yeah, it feels as though my heart is skipping a beat, and then beating an extra one to catch up, then I get shortness of breath and my heart pounds hard and fast! I can hardly stand it. Docs tell me it might be anxiety too. But this is hard for me to accept as it happens wwhen I am not even anxious or worried sometimes!

Old 11-13-2006, 11:47 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User

are you on medication now 652? I read that the chest flutter is aused by the irritated esophagus spaspming.. PPIS should control it too... 1st week i took PPI i felt almost normal... occasional bloating and side effects but the chest flutter is back just now. Have you had endoscopy?? Ithink you should consult a GI so you'll know whats wrong inside and he can give you the right meds... I tell you when my stomach feels alright.. the anxiety is gone too... so for me its not myanxiety thats causing it.. its "it" thats causing my anxiety.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:17 PM   #12
(male)

652 HB User

I am on prevacid - which helps a little. I am also on atenolol for heart arrythmia(palpitations). But it seems as though when my digestion acts up, my heart acts up too and I get shortness of breath. I know something is wrong with my stomach area, but I've gotten an endoscopy and colonoscopy and doc didnt find anything. My symptoms get better than WORSE from week to week.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:23 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User

Most of the time taking GERD medicine is a mix and match game... some medds that work for a person doesnt work on the other... so far I have tried nexium, zantac, cerekinon and a lot more and didn't feel the slightes difference.. now I am taking zimor its somehow like prilosec... alot of people use prilosec and felt better.. but i think no matter what meds or how faithful you are in taking them.. there really will be times when you wil have a relapse... just as I feel awful yesterday.. I feel almost normal today! exept for still a bit sour mouth...

So you mean you had tests and all came back normal? you mean not even any irritations in your tummy or eso?? well thats weird... if thats not gastric then maybe you really should check with your cardio. The connection with the heart and tummy is maybe due to the fact that they have one and the same nerve supply.. so what one feels the other feels as well...

Old 11-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I get palpatations along with heartburn as well. I've had the palpatations / SVT (rapid heartbeat) before I ever started getting reflux.. however I have read that the vagus nerve, which connects the stomach and controls the heartbeat, can be irritated by relflux and spasms, which can then set off a heart palpatation.

The best bet is to get a full workup by your doc to rule out anything (I had a 24 hour heart monitor as well as an echocardiogram done.. everything came back OK). but don't get anxious over it because it will make it worse! and no it won't cause a heart attack unless maybe you have some genetic problem with your heart.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:02 PM   #15
(male)

652 HB User

I see my cardiologist next week and will ask him about it. I had the shortness of breath episode yesterday along with pressure like I had to burp, but couldn't. Now today, I have shortness of breath again and my mid back and stomach are TIGHT and slightly achy! I feel so frail now. I was a big STRONG man just 5 months ago! Oh well, I guess that's just life!
Good luck to you guys......

Closed Thread