It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

Jewels70305 HB User
acid reflux and birth control

I have recently been diagnosed with GERD, esophagitis. My doctor told me that there is nothing that causes GERD, that it just happens. However, as I have been researching on the internet about GERD, almost on every website, one of the cause is birth control pills. Birth control is one of the medications listed that can relax the lower esophagus muscle and cause GERD, so they say. I called my other OBGYN and he says that he has never heard of it. I don't know whether to quit them or not. I know the internet is not always valid, but these are well known medical websites. I'm not sure why the conflict and who I can believe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
Re: acid reflux and birth control

I've never read that (including the BC pill lit itself). What kind of medical sites?

I've looked alot into reflux disease and medicines, because I'm certain I was pushed into this at least partly thanks to heavy ibuprofen usage for 6 mos prior to the "collapse". I don't think I've ever seen BC pills mentioned, especially on medical sites who should know.

Never mind the fact that neither my GP nor GE ever bothered mentioning it
when treating me.

However, it is interesting that I started BC a year almost to the day before this hell came up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
(female)

tammy stewart HB User

When I was pregnant I started having acid reflux and it lasted all through the time I was preganant. After the baby was born , I no longer had acid reflux . I had taken birth control pills for around 10 years before I got pregnant. I do not believe taking the pills had anything to do with it.

Thank you/Tammy

Old 11-14-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
(female)

ASantee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels70305
I have recently been diagnosed with GERD, esophagitis. My doctor told me that there is nothing that causes GERD, that it just happens. However, as I have been researching on the internet about GERD, almost on every website, one of the cause is birth control pills. Birth control is one of the medications listed that can relax the lower esophagus muscle and cause GERD, so they say. I called my other OBGYN and he says that he has never heard of it. I don't know whether to quit them or not. I know the internet is not always valid, but these are well known medical websites. I'm not sure why the conflict and who I can believe.
I'd be interested in reading the sites you saw this on. I've wondered over and over if the BC pill I'm on is the cause. I've asked my doctor and she doesn't seem to think it can cause a chronic cough...but stranger things have happened and who knows? I take Seasonale and am curious the name or brand that others use. I take it to control hormonal headaches not for birth control. I'd hate to stop taking it but would rather deal with headaches than this darn annoying cough!

Closed Thread