It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Ate big meal - shouldn't have

I had a big spaghetti dinner on Monday (today is Wednesday) and since then I have had awful reflux, just as bad as when I started to get it months ago. How can one big dinner cause reflux (all the way up to throat) for days? This is crazy and doesn't make any sense. I can see getting it after I ate but still getting it days later. I am so confused. It can still be sitting in my stomach, my stomach feels fine.

Strange thing is when my original problems started it was after a big meal. Why would big meals cause so much problem for so long?

Old 11-15-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Ate big meal - shouldn't have

I don't know why big meals cause problems but it does. I guess that a full, or extra full stomach presses on structures. Plus, was the spaghetti sauce made with tomatoes? Tomatoes are high in acid. I think food goes through the system in about 4 hours, it can't be still sitting there but high acid could be. I hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
(male)

oldman21 HB User
I know EXACTLY why

Neddy,

The post says your a senior member. Well 50% of those over 50 have LOW stomach acid. thats right. Your stomach is bad after a big meal because you can't make enough acid. I have exactly the same problem. Your stomach does not want to move the food down because its not acid enough. Each time your PH is to alkali, you can't digest the food correctly.

So just try two shots (or 3 if a big meal) after you eat and it will be fixed in 15 minutes. Try it now. Go eat a slice of bread or 2, take a shot of lemon juice (or appliecider vinegar) and viola! you will be cured.

Stupid doctors gave me everything until a Chripractor figured this one out for me. I could not live anormal life for 2 years until I figured this out. Now I am almost back to 100% (but I still take acid pills w/every meal).

Pleaese try this. at the very worse case, a tums or rolaids would reverse the lemon acid effect in 30 seconds. But try it and wait 15 to 20 minutes. If you feel ANY pain, eat a tuns. I gaurantee you won't and you will feel much, much better. Your doctor will be ****** off once you stop the drug.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:08 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

same here. have had reflux most of my life. soemtimes it's good but sometimes boy oh boy it's rough. after being a nervous wreck for months, taking a baby aspirin everyday for a month and some steroids i started noticing i couldn't swallow. then the backlash of acid all the way in my throat and behind my nose started. took prevacid twice a day. no relief. took my daughter out for italian food for her b-day and i thiought i would die for 3 days. now ihave been swiched to 40 mg. of nexium once a day to see if that can get it back under control. have to agree with all. icannot eat italian, spicy, grasy anything. have to limit my measl to several small ones because if i eat a full meal i suffer. what has helped me the most is a Luigi's lemon water-ice. settles eveything down. many years ago i was so bad the dr. gave me librax for 2 weeks. i wasn't allowed to eat anything but a baked pot, baked chiken breas, dry toast and applesauce. 2 weeks late stomach was like new. going to try that again also to see if i can get rid of some of this pain. best of luck. it's a horrible feeling.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Thanks for your replys, I have been thinking that if such a big meal really screws me up so bad maybe I am lacking in acid. Question is why would Apple Cider Vinegar make up for a lack of stomach acid? Does vinegar disolve the food just like stomach acid? That confuses me. Anyway tonight or tomorrow night I'm going to go to health food store and pick up the apple cider. What do I have to lose? 3 bucks.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
(male)

oldman21 HB User
apple cider

Hey Neddy,

Good luck and please let us know what happens. Here is why vinegar or lemon helps (either one), or Hydrochloric acid. Because they are all different forms of acid. Regardless of which one you take, it will improve the acidity of your stomach. Some are better than others, the little acid pills I take are Hydrochloric Acid with Pepsin, it works the best.

But all this means is I just take less. To get the same affect of one of my acid pills with lemon, I would have to take 2 straight shots. However, when I eat a fatty Greek salad, I make sure their is plenty of vinegar in the dressing and some of those spicy vinegar soaked peppercinis, and I DON"T need any acid!

The pills are so easy to carry around, its far better than lemon or vinegar (vinegar taste the worst). I have even used a bottle of Organic lemon juice which worked better than vinegar. (I tried those little fake plastic lemons with juice but they are weak).But you have to prove it to yourself first. Neddy if it low acid, please let everyone on the boards know. The only reason I answer these posts is because my doc told me this is a VERY common problem and most people are wasting their money on Nexium and Prevacid for heartburn, etc.

oh yeah, the pills I use are from Metganics called Metagest. I have tried may others but these are the best and the strongest. I don't sell them, I just like them.

Good luck again.

Closed Thread