It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
sphincter problems = neurological problems?

I have never seen it mentioned that true GERD (failure of lower esophageal sphincter, LES) may be caused by neurological problems.

I've heard that bad sphincters seem to be either "weak" (i.e., open all the time) or intermittent failures (periodic opening for no reason).

I'm starting to feel as if maybe I should see a neurologist - I have/had various problems that make me think something's wrong generally and with my vagus nerve specifically. I keep burping and hiccuping, and now I'm wondering if that's 1 of many signs I have a neuro problem.

So, I wonder, if vagus nerve problems are often implicated in many of our upper digestive issues, why might it not be involved in intermittent openings of the LES?

Seems the LES failures are treated as a mystery, but at least the itermittent type might be nerve-related?

Anybody have any comments?

Old 11-28-2006, 12:29 PM   #2
(female)

Teacupforme HB UserTeacupforme HB User
Re: sphincter problems = neurological problems?

Well there is a possibility that someone who has autonomic neurological problems can have a condition called gastroparesis. That is the inability of the stomach to empty it's contents properly (digest).

If your autonomic system is malfunctioning you probably may be more prone to conditions such as Reflux. But the treatments are the same. They treat the symptoms. Anything you can do as well like lifestyle modifications/diet would also help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have gastroparesis but that's not what I'm talking about.

I am wondering if the LES might open intermittantly sort of ON ITS OWN (nothing to do with any other "GI condition") because the bad vagus nerve is doing the opening at the wrong times.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:35 PM   #4
(female)

You are essentially saying that you have autonomic dysfunction? If that is the case there is a strong possibility that your LES may be affected by dysfunction of the vagus nerve. If that is the case,the treatment options are the same. A neurologist will treat the symptoms,and he then will try to figure out what neurological condition you may be afflicted with. ie, MS,MG,PN AU, but most of the treatments will be the same.

Do you have PN?

Old 11-30-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

What is PN???

I don't know what I have other than gastroparesis and excessive reflux (lots of silent burping which increases throat - and stomach - irritation the more I do it).

I also have had much more heart palpitating and stomach "flutters" and dizziness since I took the Reglan. I'm still not all over it (at least back to the "very occasional" level) more than a month later.

I am only starting to suspect I have some neuropathy, that's all. Yet I know I burp/hiccup alot, and think maybe that is my LES periodically (wrongly) opening.

I've just never seen the LES problems ascribed to any cause (gee, they just happen out of thin air!), and now I'm wondering if at least the transient LES problems may be because of a neuropathy or some sort.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

I've often felt that damage from long term disease processes, like thyroid disease, which affect so many body systems, could be responsible for things like GERD, and digestive issues, etc.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:41 PM   #7
(female)

PN is peripheral neuropathy. PN can affect motor,sensory & autonomic nervous system. The vagus nerve control a number of our invountary fuctions such as heart rate ,respiration, and yes LES to some extent.

Excess acid is usually always the main culprit, but in disesase such as MS,ALS ,and so forth, there is a strong neurological component to the possible malfunction of certain systems too.

But a neurologist would still refer you to a Gastro, because they still just treat you symptomatically.

I took a tiny bit of valium when my sphincter went nuts the other night,and it stopped,and it hasn't happened since. Soooo you may want to consider the alkternatives in getting those spasms under control, because they really suck!

Old 12-01-2006, 07:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacupforme
PN is peripheral neuropathy. PN can affect motor,sensory & autonomic nervous system. The vagus nerve control a number of our invountary fuctions such as heart rate ,respiration, and yes LES to some extent.

Excess acid is usually always the main culprit, but in disesase such as MS,ALS ,and so forth, there is a strong neurological component to the possible malfunction of certain systems too.

But a neurologist would still refer you to a Gastro, because they still just treat you symptomatically.

I took a tiny bit of valium when my sphincter went nuts the other night,and it stopped,and it hasn't happened since. Soooo you may want to consider the alkternatives in getting those spasms under control, because they really suck!

You "sphincter went nuts"? How do you know?

I've asked people before if they know when they're refluxing, but usually get no answer (usually seems the case for my threads ). I've said many times I'm sure the "silent (but definitely obvious to me) burps" are when I reflux, but few seem to identify with this. Do you?

Or is there some other feeling you get that makes you feel your LES is nuts?

Closed Thread