It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
(female)

greeneyed girl HB User
food stuck in throat

Does anyone else suffer from getting food stuck in their throat while eating certain things? , i e, bread,chicken, pills,? Almost every meal i get food stuck and it feels like i am going to die before it ever goes on down. it is so painful. I ahve ben dx with Hialtial hernia and muscle spasms and was put on medicine, but stil have it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greeneyed girl For This Useful Post:
hope 1977 (09-05-2012), Maud88 (03-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
(female)

Crystalgray HB User
Re: food stuck in throat

Oh my God. The same thing has been wrong with me. I was diagnosed initially with LPR and on Wednesday I got my results back from my Esophageal Manometry test and was diagnosed with esophageal dysmotility. In short, it means that my muscles in my esophagus aren't working to push food down after I eat.
I have an apt on Tuesday, my doctor plans to go over treatment. I've been searching the net all week and it seems that treatment is difficult. Surgery seems to work but I'd like to avoid that. How are the med your on working?
I hope that my doctor will finally be able to cure me and end my painful fight with this. The worse part for me is the bad breath I get from the accumulated food in my throat or at least that's where I think the smell is coming from. The second is having food stuck in my throat all day.

If you have any advice I am all ears.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
(female)

Stef457 HB User

I guess this is the right board for my question...I suffered from lack of oxygen hours after birth, and it resulted in slight speech issue. I sound find, but I am beginning to realize I have a weak tongue. As of lately, I noticed I cant really manuver the food around in my mouth & my tongue tends to push back unchewed food that has resulted in many choking incidents, leaving a tremendous fear or phobia. I tend to choke on liquids from time to time.

Has any doctor suggested any tongue exercises? I noticed that I cannot stick my tongue out much and when I do, I start to gag. Should I just practice doing this? Do you think lack of tongue stregnth causes us to choke? Any advice? I fee your pain.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
(female)

chestersmom HB User

i HAVE EXPERIENCED THAT SAME FEELING WHILE EATING. IT FEELS LIKE A CRAMP AND YOU FEEL LIKE YOU NEED TO DRINK SOMETHING TO WASH IT DOWN, BUT ALSO FEEL THAT YOU WOULD DROWNED IF YOU DID. IT SEEMS THAT THIS HAPPENS MOSTLY WHEN I'M EATING MEAT SO I TRY TO CHEW REALLY GOOD. I HAVE BEEN ON PRILOSEC OTC FOR SEVERAL MONTHS NOW AND HAVEN'T HAD AN EPISODE SINCE I'VE BEEN ON IT. I ALSO HAVE A HIATIAL HERNIA ALONG WITH GERD SO DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE IS RESPONSIBLE OR MAYBE BOTH. IT'S A BAD FEELING AND I USUALLY HAVE TO GET UP AND LEAVE THE TABLE BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE I'M CHOCKING AND ALSO WHEN IT STARTS EASING UP I USUALLY BURP A LOT WHICH ACTUALLY FEELS GOOD) THAT'S A SIGN THAT IT'S ABOUT OVER.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
(male)

Heartzexplode HB User

I get it where the food actually gets trapped in my esaphogus because of pollups and i have to go to the hospital to get it removed, no kidding. Its extremely uncomfortable but not dangerous. Best advice for this is no foods like breads or potatos and chew plenty.

Closed Thread