It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
(female)

JOG1151 HB User
Lump in throat + Difficulty Swallowing...Come and Go?

I have had both of these symptoms on and off...sometimes worse than others for the past 2 months...

Does anyone else find that these symptoms (along with others) seem to come and go with no rhyme or reason???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
(female)

Je23 HB User
Re: Lump in throat + Difficulty Swallowing...Come and Go?

Definitely. Sometimes even swallowing saliva comes with difficulty for me, along with the 'lump in throat' sensation. These both come and go. It's nuts. :/

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
(female)

JOG1151 HB User

I'm sorry to hear that you are also having these same VERY STRANGE symptoms...I guess I'm not alone

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Old 12-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
(female)

Je23 HB User

Same back at ya! Although my GP has told me these are pretty typical symptoms...annoying but typical.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
(female)

JOG1151 HB User

Thanks JE23...I guess misery loves company (sorry)...

These symptoms may be typical for LPR and GERD...still all very strange to me.

My latest symptom...is I feel like I have to burp, but can't. I pray that someone finds a cure for this nightmare.....SOONER than later!

Take care!

Old 12-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
(male)

oldman21 HB User

Most people don’t have too much stomach acid as you would think from watching the pharmaceutical commercials on TV. By taking antacids, you will have less stomach acid being secreted setting you up for infection and malabsorption. Try a shot of lemon juice with your next meal, or 2 shots. If it helps, then you've found your problem. If you feel ANY burning, take an alkaseltzer or rolaids which will quickly fix the burning sensation.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:38 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

I have had reflux all my life. that being said i have been on prevacid for about 5 years with great success until May. suffered several work injuries and had to take steroids hence the problem began. started with choking at night when i laid down accompanied with a horrible cough. having asthma i pulled my inhaler out thinking that's what it was . it wasn't. since then i have seen my PCP, 2 ENT's. the cadio a neuro and have had every test under the sun done. the only thing that showed in the modified barium swallow was delayed emtying. not bad and it wasn't consistant. when the swallowing difficulty started especially with saliva i went back for more tests. they found an enlarged thyroid with nodules. had everything including a biopsy done and that has been outruled. finally after explaining it all to the neuro he said all symptoms, the lump in my throat, trouble swallowing, jaw pain (at times) chest pain etc. etc sounded classic of esophageal spasms. since i had stomacj spasms most of my life and am under alot of stress and very anxious this made sense to me. finally after 8 mos. a dx. haven't seen the endo for years and i guess it's time. PCP agrees but hasn't put me on any meds to help or change my prevacid. i have tried nexium in the past and had better results with prevacid. have noticed in the past two weeks that i cannot eat a large full meal. if i do i am in pain and have indigestion for days. i'm learning my triggers but still believe something to calm my stomach would be a great advantage.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Hi, sorry about whats happening to you we all understand since this dicculty swallowing issue happens to many of us with acid issues, anyway are you on a PPI, I used to have severe problem swallowing and as soon as i started nexium it cleared up, especially when i woke up in the morning after bad acid i would feel a clicking sound in my throat when i tried swallowing anyway if your not on a PPI you should get on one and take it 2x a day hope your feeling better soon.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Hi, sorry about whats happening to you we all understand since this dicculty swallowing issue happens to many of us with acid issues, anyway are you on a PPI, I used to have severe problem swallowing and as soon as i started nexium it cleared up, especially when i woke up in the morning after bad acid i would feel a clicking sound in my throat when i tried swallowing anyway if your not on a PPI you should get on one and take it 2x a day hope your feeling better soon.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:32 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

thanks jennie---i have been on prevacid for 5 years and just started nexium about 2 weeks ago. no better and i actually have more relief with prevacid.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #11
(female)

mel,oregon HB User

Definitely this whole hiatal hernia shoved up in my throat/heartburn problem is in bouts that come and go. When it's not active, I can eat anything, but can't find a good food when it's flaming, other than candied ginger. The one thing that seems to be a consistent trigger is stress. If I'm going through a stretch where I'm feeling stress "in my gut", if a VIP is in town at work, etc, I'll go back on Prilosec for a couple days to ward it off. Once it gets going, takes a few weeks to tamp it back down again. Good luck!

Closed Thread