It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

JOG1151 HB User
Please describe what an esophageal spasm feels like

Not sure if I was having a spasm or not...

Felt as though my throat, down into my esophageal area got very tight, almost a pinchy, uncomfortable feeling....sometimes it feels like I have to burp, but can't.

Not sure if this is a spasm, or I'm feeling something else...thsnk you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
(female)

Je23 HB User
Re: Please describe what an esophageal spasm feels like

It very well could be. From what I understand, what spasms feel like is different for some people. Severe spasms mimic pain from a heart-attack, while milder ones can feel like you pulled a muscle in your back/rib area. There's a wide range, which includes 'pinching' sensations (according to what I've read on this forum).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

Symptoms can vary alittle, but the most common complaint of esophageal spasms is the feeling of a heart attack. That's why it's very common to see yourself winding up in the ER dept. Once they rule out cardiovascular and give you xanax and a GI cocktail and the symptoms instantly go away.....you feel kinda stupid. Or at least the first 2 times I felt really stupid. I mean one minute your positive you dying and the next your fine with no symptoms at all.

The spasms can range from mild to severe. The mild ones I just deal with. For me those are the days when my throat feels alittle tight when trying to swallow starting at the bottom of my throat to about middle chest. Also during those periods I notice my chest may feel alittle tight as well.

The moderate ones give me mild cardio symptoms.....like palps, left side of neck tight or maybe some jeft side jaw pain. I find doing some stretches, like pushing your chest up and out, and pulling your shoulders back can actually break a spasm. Making the chest muscles work in a different way.

And ok....don't laugh your head off at this one......but I've been known to break out in a loud chorus of a favorite song. This also forces muscles in throat to work in a different way. If I'm out somewhere where I can't break into song....or start stretching....I take the med instead.

The full blown attack brings on the sensation of an elephant sitting on your chest, pain running up your neck into your jaw and even down your left arm. Sweating, nausea, etc. Those are the really really bad ones. In these cases, it's the full blown med management of xanax/GI cocktail. And I get as quiet and still as quickly as I can.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #4
(female)

Je23 HB User

I have to try the singing.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #5
(male)

Heartzexplode HB User

For me its usually accomanied with sever anxiety, heart twitchy feeling, sweaty, doom and gloom throughts.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #6
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

oh geez. I can't imagine having those symptoms on top of the massive heart attack symptoms!

Old 12-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #7
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Je23
I have to try the singing.
I thought that statement would illicit some chuckles. But it truely does work.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

God, it all sounds scary to me. I have a tight throat right now.

Closed Thread