It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
What is the best OTC med for LPR?

I don't have insurance and can't go to the doctor. My doctor is a wahoo anyway, probably got his medical degree from a cracker jack box.
Well he told me that I don't have acid reflux, GERD or LPR but he prescribed me Prevacid, I asked for the dissolvables because I have trouble swallowing.
Well the Prevacids are not helping.
I burn down low usually in my belly button area.
I just recently started to get the bad burning in my throat. Like down the sides of my throat and behind my ears and tonsils just feels like my throat is on fire!
I have tried several over the counter meds but none of them have really helped so far.
What about rantadine? Does that help LPR? I have those and they're really small tablets that I think I will have no trouble swallowing.
If anyone can suggest a good natural or OTC remedy I will try it gladly!

Old 12-14-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
(male)

pappashu HB User
Re: What is the best OTC med for LPR?

I had success with coral calcium for reflux. It didn't seem to do much else for me but it won't hurt you. I have found that 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per day,for a few days, works well. This is also real good for different pains. When I tried this natural cure I was living healthier and I know if you cut down on alcohol for a while it helps best.Try these things they work! Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2006, 01:04 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User

Ginger worked for me.. boil a large chunck in a cup of water and boil i tmore until the water reduced to a half a cup... let it cool a bit and sip it.. really works.. even for nausea and sour mouth. good luck!

Old 12-15-2006, 06:18 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User

My mom gave me some candied ginger. Will that help or do I need fresh ginger?

Old 12-15-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
(female)

needaremedy HB User

I think Zantac works fine. There are times when I have to take it 3 times a day. And there are other days when I only need it at bedtime (my Rx is to take Protonix in the AM and Zantac 75 at bedtime...BTW...I don't think the PPI works at all for me and neither does elimination diet as I experience LPR before I even eat in the morning.)
But if I'm having horrible symptoms, I can take it and feel better within about 20-30 minutes.
And you can get the generic version of it at Target, WalMart, etc for a LOT cheaper than the brand. They just call it "acid reducer" but the active ingredient is the same: ranitidine.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

Hamilton,

It sounds like LPR if you are having throat symptoms. None of the OTC meds are known to work on LPR, so I recommend demanding a prescription.

But I'll give you my opinion on the OTC meds anyway. For frequent or chronic heartburn, Prilosec OTC is the best. However, it does not work on throat symptoms and LPR. The next best meds are the class called H-2 blockers, which include ranitidine, which is the ingredient found in Zantac and Pepcid. They work very well for occasional heartburn. Then there are the antacids like Malox and Tums and Mylanta which are basically calcium carbonate (a very basic ionic coumpound which works to counteract the aciditity of the stomach). But they only work briefly and are only good for occasional indigestion.

So what you need is a prescription PPI (proton-pump inhibitor). Since you have LPR symptoms, you will need to take the LPR dose - which is 2 maximum-strength doses per day, not 1 dose per day. Only heartburn patients get 1 dose per day. With throat, you need something stronger.
Now there are 2 PPIs which get the best results for LPR - and they are Nexium and Aciphex. In addition, there are Prilosec (BRand), Protonix and Prevacid, but those 3 don't seem to work as well for LPR.

To buy Nexium and Aciphex in the US, it's really expensive. For 1 dose a day, your monthly bill is about $250 without insurance. For 2 pills a day, it's about $500.

If you can't afford this, the pharma companies that manufacture these drugs offer drug-assistance programs, where if you make under a certain amount per year, they will help subsidize the drugs.

Since many people still won't qualify for those programs because their income is too high, I'd suggest doing a search on "international pharmacies", because it is very possible to get Nexium and Aciphex at 1/4 of the cost by ordering internationally.

Closed Thread