It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2006, 06:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Theory on why PPI's don't cure reflux

From everything I read about reflux and PPI's I can see why they don't cure the condition. After you stop using them they cause a rebound acid reflux effect for 8 to 24 weeks. So when the reflux comes back (or comes back worse then before) people go back on the PPI's. It's a never ending cycle. But the question remains, If you don't take PPI's how do you stop the reflux? That the million dollar question and one I have yet to figure out (yes my throat is burning right now and my teeth are sensitive).

And how if my bed is on a slant does the reflux still come up at night? The crap defies gravity which is impossible.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Theory on why PPI's don't cure reflux

I think most problems are caused by our system not having enough digestive enzymes for the food we eat !!
Most people eat too much food that contains NO enzymes for digestion that is because it is overly processed and their system does not produce enough enzymes for absorbing the necessary nutrients for their bodies to function properly.

You are not what you eat but what you absorb and without proper absorption your body cannot function properly.
We are simply not made to eat food that is devoid of enzymes.

Last edited by Harry; 12-29-2006 at 07:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Hi Harry, I hope your right. I've switched my diet to mainly fruits, vegetables etc. I even bought a juicer. I'm also using digestive enzymes. All this seems to help but I can't beat the nighttime reflux. I can't stop it no matter what I do.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

neddy,

Good for You!!

If your esophagus functioned properly ( the LES) and closed like it is suppose to -- there would be no problem of acid going up your esophagus.

The mineral that helps all muscles work properly among others is magnesium and I think it may take a little time but it will work better.
IT did not get that way overnight-- so I don't think it will get fixed right away.

But, you certainly are goiing in the right DIRECTION

I wish you well---Harry

Old 12-29-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

PPIs don't cure reflux because they are not meant to.

They are only helping relieve the symptoms of it.

True gastroesophageal reflux disease means the lower esophageal sphincter doesn't work. There is nothing that will fix it (surgery is dubious). Hence, there is no cure. Period.

However, acid/bile going up the esophagus (and often to the throat) is damaging to those areas, and dangerous. Never mind it may just hurt. So, these med's work only to reduce how much acid gets up whenever reflux happens, and hence reduce the danger of it.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

I've heard good and bad about magnesium, some saying it doesn't help. Yet PPI"S cause more reflux, that is for sure, I didn't have this much reflux before taking a ppi. But I have BArretts so I must take it my GI doc has instructed me.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

cvoor,

Sorry that you have Barrett's but as you know having Barrett's is a sure sign that your esophagus has been damaged by stomach acid.. And, it may be that your Lower Esophageal Sphincter is so damaged that it may never get well--- reducing the stomach acid is the only treatment.

Taking a PPI is at the present time probably the best treatment.

I wish you well----Harry

Old 12-30-2006, 10:43 AM   #8
(female)

marcie23 HB User

If PPI's cut down the acid...won't the body just produce more pumps & more acid to compensate? Especially if we continue to eat foods that upset our system...take prescription drugs...have stress...and the body builds a tolerance to the meds.

There has to be a healthier way to live.

I'm feeling better since I changed my diet & other bad habits. *Knock wood* I hope it lasts.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
(female)

needaremedy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcie23
If PPI's cut down the acid...won't the body just produce more pumps & more acid to compensate? Especially if we continue to eat foods that upset our system...take prescription drugs...have stress...and the body builds a tolerance to the meds.

There has to be a healthier way to live.

I'm feeling better since I changed my diet & other bad habits. *Knock wood* I hope it lasts.
I have been seeking out a natural remedy via a naturopathic doctor and I asked the same question. I'm currently on Prilosec OTC (switched back after Protonix 40 didn't work) and Zantac 75 as needed. I said, "if the Prilosec is supposed to 'stop' the acid, why am I still getting acid in my throat?" He answered that the PPIs only suppress so much acid and the stomach makes more... So I asked if the only way to stop that acid would be MORE PPI and basically, the answer was yes... so where does it end? I guess it doesn't. That said, I'm weaning off the Prilosec since none of the PPIs work for me anyway and I'll take Zantac as needed (trying to wean off that, too.)
I've also started taking DGL, probiotics, chlorella, and digestive enzymes (bromelain and papain; plan to add amylase and lipase, no betaine hydrochloride though.)
I have to say the brand of DGL that works for me (and it works great for me) tastes HORRIBLE so if anybody has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Hi needaremedy, what brand of DGL works for you? I have some but it doesn't work at all (white bottle, blue gray label, will check brand when I get home). Mine contains sorbitol as the number one ingredient, that junk is suppose to really screw up your stomach so thats probably why it doesn't work.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #11
(female)

needaremedy HB User

Hi again neddy,
It's by Enzymatic Therapy. And it's the regular DGL, not flavored and not labeled that it's free of any -ose (maybe fructose??).
I have to say, when I pop it, the taste makes me shiver, but it works and works fast. My ND told me to use it liberally for the first week and then see how it goes from there. Right now, I'm taking two tablet 20 minutes before each meal and then as needed.

Closed Thread