It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 05:54 AM   #1
(male)

South Paw HB User
Wedge Pillow + Raising the Bed 6 inches a good idea?

Hello,

Curious, is sleeping on a wedge pillow plus raising the bed 6 inches a bad idea? My thought is both combined would help with GERD/acid reflux, yet what are the side affects; such as, bad circulation flow to/from one's legs and feet?

Thanks

Dave

Old 12-30-2006, 06:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User
Re: Wedge Pillow + Raising the Bed 6 inches a good idea?

I have raised my bed with risers about 5-6". I could not sleep in a Wedge pillow, terribly uncomfortable for me. Elevating the bed a bit, has helped my acid reflux, plus I also sleep on my left side. I have not noticed any circulation problems thus far, it takes a little time to get use to, but it's worth a try.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
Re: Wedge Pillow + Raising the Bed 6 inches a good idea?

Wedges are NOT recommended. They make you bend at the hips (or higher), which puts pressure on the stomach and hence, the (supposedly weak) lower esophageal sphincter. Thus, you would get more reflux.

Just raise up the bed; raise it higher than 6" if you have to.

There are no circulation problems. You stand all day and have no troubles. Lying on an angle, you are much closer to horizontal than standing or sitting which you do all day anyway. I think that gives enough rest to the whole body from its usual 18-hr day.

Closed Thread