It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
(female)

JOG1151 HB User
LPR People Only... Readers Digest Version... Is there a cure????

I started suffering from LPR in late August of 2006...and I've been trying ever since to get some concrete answers for the many problems I have been experiencing.

I've read quite a few posts on this board...I've actually gone back and read almost 2 years worth of old posts and messages, looking for clues, cures, tidbits of information... ...basically anything which might potentially help me to solve this unbelievable riddle..LPR.

The majority of posters are obviously frightened by "strange and unusual" symptoms (I was definitely one of them), and are attempting to find out what exactly is wrong.

I was very sad to see that so many posters did not have any type of medical insurance, and were basically floundering on their own, searching out online medical advice ...and/or trying to treat themselves with over the counter medication or supposed natural remedy cures.

I was extremely frustrated by the volume of posters that suffered with these "strange and unusual" symptoms for many years without any real diagnosis, treatment, or assistance from the medical community. Some people didn't have a clue that they suffered from LPR...which is also referred to as "SILENT Acid Reflux", since heartburn is rare.

I was amazed to find out that LPR (Laryngopharengeal Reflux) is a relatively new medical term/ailment...and that the medical community is just recently acknowledging LPR. I myself recently had an appointment with a Gasto Dr., and he informed me that many Dr.'s don't even believe that LPR exists.

So...by now...many of us know the major symptoms; Hoarseness, Excessive Throat Clearing, Copious Amount of Mucous/Phlegm, Lump in the throat sensation (Globus), Swallowing Difficulty, Heartburn (Rare), Chronic Cough, and sensation of postnasal drip

Many of us have had the various tests, Endoscopy, 24 pH testing...to name a few.

Many of us know the treatment...6 Months of Double Dose PPI's (proton pump inhibitors) for 6 months.

Many of us avoid or have been told to avoid; Caffeine, Carbonated drinks, Chocolate, Peppermint, Tomato and citrus foods, Fatty and fried foods.

Many of us have been told... Lose weight, Quit smoking, Wear loose clothing, Elevate our Beds, Do not drink alcohol, Eat small meals and slowly, and Avoid eating and drinking within two to three hours prior to bedtime

Some have opted for surgical intervention...

And although some of these "remedies" may help...there really is no 100% CURE!!!

At least to my knowledge!

I would love to know if ANYONE out there...that has suffered from LPR...and NOT Classic Acid Reflux...has found a cure, or feels they are 100% better. Whether it be medical, surgical, or otherwise, I would LOVE to hear 1 POSITIVE Story.

I get the impression that the players tend to change regularly on these types of boards. I would imagine that once the disease is under control, many posters go about their normal lives...and really don't need to come onto a message board any longer(which is quite understandable).

So...I am hoping that someone...anyone out there has some hopeful news, information, or a personal story about a REAL Cure for LPR...Thank You

Last edited by JOG1151; 01-03-2007 at 04:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Re: LPR People Only...Readers Diget Version...Is there a cure????

Your pose says it all. I've had LPR for about 6 months. If you read my posts I'm always trying a new angle. My last post shows that I'm coming at this from another angle. But so far I agree with you, I have not, nor have I found anybody that knows how to stop it. Their is one thing for sure, I will figure out how to stop it and when I do I will post it. That I have no doubt.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
(female)

JOG1151 HB User

God speed NeddyFlanders...I hope you do!!!

I suppose in the grand scheme of things there are far worse diseases in this world...Still, it would be nice if there was some light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
(female)

mommyinVA HB User

Hi JOG - I am right there with you. I have also read through the posts (years worth) and am really trying to see if there is a cure. I am hesitant to go on PPIs as I did go on Nexium for a brief period and had horrible side effects. It's amazing that we can fly people to the moon and create babies from test tubes, but we can't find a cure for LPR??? My biggest hope is that doctors will continue to research it and develop a cure...sooner than later! If I hear of anything, I will definitely post it here. Someday, someway we will get rid of this extremely frustrating ailment!

Old 01-04-2007, 06:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

There will never be a cure from the medical profession. If their was do you know how much money would be lost from all these companies that make antacids, H2's, PPI's etc. etc. This is something we'll have to figure out for ourselves. Medical community will do what they always do, figure out half baked temporary solutions that probably make you worse in the long run but make them a ton of money.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddyflanders
There will never be a cure from the medical profession. If their was do you know how much money would be lost from all these companies that make antacids, H2's, PPI's etc. etc. This is something we'll have to figure out for ourselves. Medical community will do what they always do, figure out half baked temporary solutions that probably make you worse in the long run but make them a ton of money.

Nonsense.

Do you know how much money they could make if they could cure things? Much more. Both directly and indirectly by people putting more faith in them for other things.

If things were as you say then aspirin and penicillin - the 2 greatest medicinal break-throughs - would never have been marketed. They quickly destroy serious problems.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Re: LPR People Only... Readers Digest Version... Is there a cure????

Your living in a dream world. This is the USA (unless your from somewhere else). We worship the almighty dollar. Money means everything. You talk about aspirin and penicillin. When were they invented? Early to mid 20th century. After the polio vaccine their have been no vaccines. Their will be no more cures. The best you can hope for is a temporary fix, like they did with AIDS. Millions of people that have to take the cocktail or else they die. Please, don't get me started. Anyway we were talking about LPR and figuring out a way to stop it. I'm thinking dry mouth (whether from antacids or other medication side effects) could be making this so difficult to control.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I think very highly of the US and its medical profession. We have the best in the world, period, and we got there exactly by encouraging individuals to pursue things for themselves. It works out for the best of society as a whole.

Penicillin wasn’t in regular use until the ‘40s (and it was discovered, as was aspirin but in the 1890s). I guess noone was greedy then. Apparently greed only happened after polio was defeated.

Poo-pooing influenza and various bacteria-borne illnesses compared to slow-acting diseases and conditions (as GERD likely is) is foolhardy. Those things strike hard and fast and kill within weeks, not years. Defeating something that can kill so fast is amazing. Yet noone stopped this cure in the un-greedy ‘40s in favor of just “nursing” the disease.

The fact is doctors and pharm co’s aren’t gods, yet they are treated that way by nay-sayers as well as those who hold them in too much thralldom. Nay-sayers – largely such people as spoiled US citizens whose lives are very good – seem to think docs should know all and are “disillusioned” when they don’t, and can’t cure all. I don’t have those kind of high expections, despite my highly spoiled life. We’re not living in Star Trek time, much less Heaven. Only God could ever resolve all these problems if He so chose.

These people research all the time. The “natural” hawkers don’t. They get 100% profit from what they hawk, whereas research, testing & development and schooling and consulting all take money that may be recouped in the drug/device/service.

It may be some things are very hard to figure out, or at least the cures are. And some things will always be incurable (again, refer to God) because this world is imperfect.

It may also be that some of us with this condition (or even similar) simply are going through a phase. It may work itself out, eventually. Like a lot of mechanical problems people run into. Some people get a bad back that works itself out over a year. This may not be true of every GERD sufferer, but it may be true of many. Some day we may realize that not everyone needs these “nursing” drugs because most will get over it anyway.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:01 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of these people who think supplements will cure everything. I wasn't taking their side. I was just saying in this country (US, and probably every other one) profit is was run the day. You talk about "natural hawkers" out for a profit and I agree with you. But I also feel that we will never see another real "CURE" in our lifetime, and that means all the major diseases and ailments. It is more profitable to treat the disease then cure it. Also, I am hopeful also that this GERD will run it's course. In my case I have been slowly improving. I rarely get daytime reflux anymore unless I eat a very large meal. Now need to concentrate on eliminating nighttime reflux.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #10
(female)

mommyinVA HB User

I suppose that we need to have some hope that there is a treatment or that it will go away on its own, because to think of having this LPR for the rest of my life (I am 35) is quite deflating and depressing. I have IBS as well and can manage that quite well with medication (very low dose Elavil) and diet, but the LPR seems so much more difficult to treat. I've had it now for a year and a half and I don't see it going away on its own and I don't do well with PPIs - the side effects are too debilating for me. But, I still need that hope that someday something will be discovered, whether medication or an actual LPR surgery, that will make this go away. Call me naive, but I'd rather have that perspective than the feeling that there is no hope.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Hello mommyinVA, don't get me wrong in my response. I wasn't saying their is no hope. Just the opposite. I have LPR also and I guarantee I won't have it by the end of this year (07). All I'm saying is don't wait for somebody else to figure it out, figure it out on your own. Over time you can see whats causing it and what works and what doesn't. I have IBS also and I'm so close to getting rid of that for good (stress is main factor, you must have zero stress for a long time to get rid of that). IBS is caused by stress and made worse by antibiotics. Also I bet you got your acid reflux after the IBS flared up. Am I right?

Old 01-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #12
(female)

JOG1151 HB User

Hi Neddy...keep fighting the fight...I'm with you. The frustrating part to me is this...there do not seem to be that many Dr's that treat or have experience in treating LPR specifically...and it take sooooooo long to get an appointment.

I found this article I'll post the link...you may find it of interest...here's an excerpt

Outcomes
Patients with LPR often take several months to resolve their symptoms and laryngeal abnormalities once appropriate therapy is initiated. Although many patients have symptomatic improvement after 2 months of therapy, laryngeal examination findings continue to improve for up to 6 months after initiation of antireflux therapy. One study showed that approximately 50% of LPR patients on twice-daily PPI therapy have symptomatic improvement at 2 months, and an additional 22% improve from 2 to 4 months after initiating therapy.13 Even fundoplication surgery does not result in immediate improvement in LPR, and symptoms and examination findings continue to show improvement from 4 to 14 months after fundoplication.

Future Directions
Research into laryngopharyngeal reflux and its various manifestations, treatments, and complications has only recently been gaining momentum. Its very pathophysiology remains uncertain as does its optimal therapy. Further work characterizing what is a normal degree of LPR is ongoing as well as studies into the potential value of using a pH level of 5 as a marker for reflux. Multichannel intraluminal impedance and high-resolution manometric studies of the esophagus, pharynx, and upper esophageal sphincter may shed light on the pathophysiologic mechanisms at work in LPR. In addition, the role of TNE as a safe and effective screening test for Barrett's esophagus remains to be determined.

Improved pharmacologic means to combat acid production continue, as well as adjuvant means of treatment such as liquid alginate and antipepsin drugs that could potentially protect laryngopharyngeal mucosa and cartilage from the deleterious effects of the active proteolytic enzyme.

Finally, progress is being made in the cellular effects of acid and pepsin in the laryngopharynx, which should yield further information into the mechanism of injury, direct tissue diagnosis, and possibly further elucidate the mechanisms of laryngeal carcinogenesis.

Here is the link for the full article...[url]http://www.nature.com/gimo/contents/pt1/full/gimo46.html[/url]

Old 01-05-2007, 10:42 AM   #13
(female)

JOG1151 HB User

One More Article

Sensitive Pepsin Immunoassay for Detection of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux.

Independent Papers

Laryngoscope. 115(8):1473-1478, August 2005.
Knight, John PhD; Lively, Mark O. PhD; Johnston, Nikki PhD; Dettmar, Peter W. PhD; Koufman, Jamie A. MD
Abstract:
Objectives/Hypothesis: To determine whether measurement of pepsin in throat sputum by immunoassay could be used as a sensitive and reliable method for detecting laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) compared with 24-hour double-probe (esophageal and pharyngeal) pH monitoring.

Study Design: Patients with clinical LPR undergoing pH monitoring provided throat sputum samples during the reflux-testing period for pepsin measurement using enzyme-linked immunoadsorbent assay.

Results: Pepsin assay results from 63 throat sputum samples obtained from 23 study subjects were compared with their pH monitoring data. Twenty-two percent (14/63) of the sputum samples correlated the presence of pepsin with LPR (pH <= 4 at the pharyngeal probe), of which the median concentration of pepsin was 0.18 [mu]g/mL (range 0.003-22 [mu]g/mL). Seventy-eight percent (49/63) of the samples unassociated with (pharyngeal) reflux contained no detectible pepsin. Mean pH values for pepsin-positive samples were significantly lower than negative samples at both esophageal probe (pH 2.2 vs. pH 5.0) (P < .01) and the pharyngeal probe (pH 4.4 vs. pH 5.8) (P < .01). When the pepsin assay results were compared with the pharyngeal pH data for detecting reflux (events pH <= 4), the pepsin immunoassay was 100% sensitive and 89% specific for LPR.

Conclusions: Detection of pepsin in throat sputum by immunoassay appears to provide a sensitive, noninvasive method to detect LPR.

(C) The American Laryngological, Rhinological & Otological Society, Inc.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
(female)

Kellir HB User

Can someone tell me more about LPR??? My mom has has acid reflux for many years but never had any tests done because she knew what it was and immediately started taking meds but she still has alot of problem including copius amounts of phlegm, she has all the symptoms mentioned. So Im thinking she has LPR.

Ok, Im new to acid reflux, mine started a couple months ago, and I too havent had any tests done yet. But isnt it wierd that as soon as my reflux started that I suddenly feel like I have horrible sinus problems?? I have so much mucus in my throat like my mom and its like you can never get it up so it looks like we both have LPR, doesnt it?? Does LPR make your sinusus worse? Also, ever since my reflux started my throat has been red and nasty looking, is that a symptom of LPR, does anyone else have that? It would be great if someone would tell me more about LPR, Im really hoping I can get this under control, this is just horrible. Im taking prilosec but it doesnt help with everything.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Hello Jog1151 thanks for the information. Kellir you have what we all have which is LPR. The mucus and inflammation all goes along with it. Not sure when your acid comes up but if your like me you get the burn at night when sleeping. Prilosec, Nexium etc. all work during the day but do nothing at night. If you do have reflux during the day, watching your diet, taking regular antacids when needed etc. should eliminate it during the day. But if you rlike alot of us it mainly hits us at night. A temporary solution I use when it gets bad is take Pepcid Complete before going to bed. These H2 blockers seem to work better for nighttime reflux then PPI's especially this one at least till we figure out how to eliminate it completely.

Closed Thread