It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
(female)

JOG1151 HB User
Could LPR be caused by an infection???

I have noticed that many posters report that their LPR started after an upper respiratory infection.....ironically my LPR also started after an upper respratory infection...I had actuallty taken a trip to Italy...on my first full day, I felt as though I was coming down with a sinus infection. However, it was rather unusual for me, in that my left eye was tearing...and the left part of my face was extremely swollen in the sinus area. I have NEVER experienced anything like this before. So much so, that my boyfriend was able to see it.

Fortunately it cleared up...or so I thought...and my Italy vacation was not ruined.

Upon return...I did come down with a sinus/upper respratory infection...I just assumed it had been incubating and finally came out.

I have been very prone to sinus and upper respiratory infections over the years (wondering now if it was actually LPR). I of course visited my Internist...who put me on an antibiotic and phenergyn cough/anthistimine syrup.

I took the full dose for 10 days however...I started to clear my throat...excessively. It got to the point that I could not STOP clearing my throat. I started doing some research on my own...and actually found this board, and a few others. I read another posters response (Aswander) and it seemed to fit my symptoms exactly.

So...when I saw the ENT, and he scoped me, it came as no surprise when he told me I had LPR, or as he called it, Silent Acid Reflux.

I went on Aciphex 1x a day....and it seemed to help initially...at least the throat clearing went away. I felt better, and stopped taking the Aciphex. Within 2 weeks I started to get the Globus feeling, which made it feel like I could not swallow. Needless to say I started taking the Aciphex again, and the lump in the throat feeling diminished after a few weeks.

Since then I went to see a Gastro Dr., and I have an Endoscopy scheduled for 2/1. He told me a few things, which I already knew from my research. He said that LPR is different from GERD. That most GERD sufferers will get relief almost instantaneously after going on PPI's...in contast LPR patients have to take a double dose of PPI's for up to 6 months to see any type of relief. He also said that many Dr.'s don't believe that LPR exists...and that LPR is overdiagnosed by many ENT's.

In any event...I have read numerous posts on this board..and others...and I have seen some very common bonds between us all, which brings to mind some questions as well.

I have often thought that I was "healthy" when I went to Italy...and did not start the LPR cycle untril I came home and had an upper respiratory infection. You would think with all the spicy, acidic, food, I had in Italy (we had a bottle of wine every night with dinner)...I would have had some type of reflux reaction in Italy...which I didn't.

I have also wondered if I didn't catch some type of an infection in the airplane...airplane cabins are notorious for circulation germs....and if in fact LPR isn't really caused by an infection.

From everything I have read...the LPR sufferers basically have many of the same symptoms; mucous, coughing, throat clearing, lump in the throat sensation, sore throats, etc....which sounds more like Allergies to me than Acid Reflux...

In any event....just wondering if anyone else sees the possibility of LPR being caused by an infection???

I have also wondered if the Aciphex isn't actually making the acid problem worse...I didn't really notice any of these ***arre symptoms (Globus, difficulty swallowing, excessive mucous, burning tongue, tongue coating,etc.) with the exception of the throat clearing, until after I started taking the Aciphex.

I would be curious to hear other posters opinions on this topic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
(female)

Sara459 HB User
Re: Could LPR be caused by an infection???

Hmmm interesting idea. I also got LPR after a very bad virus/cold/flu nearly 2 years ago. Interestingly enough I had been on a cruise and flew home on an airplane. The next day I was sick and stayed really sick. My ears remained stuffed up for nearly 2 months - like I couldn't even hear. After that the constant throat clearing and coughing hung on and on and on. Let's not forget the sore throat and constanct PND.

I went through hell before getting my LPR diagnosis. I was misdiagnosed with other (scary) things and I can't tell you the anxiety the doctors caused me during this period. Since this experience I now have a severe health phobia. I literally dread seeing a doctor for anything and if I have to take a test OMG the anxiety is awful.

Finally an ENT made the LPR call. Afterwards when I came to this site I couldn't beleive there were all these people with the exact same symptoms. I am on Nexium now - with 85 % relief (2X40 a day for 2 months now). However some days are worse than others. I'd like to get off Nexium and am seeing a Naturopathic doctor tomorrow to discuss alternatives). Raising the bed has helped me a lot.

Prior to getting the cold I never had heartburn or anything like that. The past 2 years has been a nightmare. Could it be caused by a virus? Maybe. It's too bad medical science hasn't come up with something besides treating the symptoms except for that fundo surgery which many don't seem to have too much luck with.

Sorry to ramble on.

Sara

Old 01-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

okay well, a few months ago i seem to remember starting (or contributing to) a discussion here about antibiotics. I NEVER had any LPR probs until, when i had some chest tightness (turned out to be spasms), I went to see a GI. He found h-pylori and put me on antibiotics to kill it. (And there was NO ulcer later when he checked so we killed it for naught - not to mention creating a yeast infection) But then came all this horrible excruciating pain in my throat and chest. My theory is that 1) we need h-pylori and killing it creates too much acid and 2) antibiotics start reflux problems. I wish I could be reinfected with the h-pylori because this is a nightmare. I think LPR is somehow related to bacteria or a virus or something like that. I sure do wish these scientists would read this forum and listen to our stories and put he clues together and FIGURE OUT SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
(female)

Sara459 HB User

Good point about the antibotics. When I had that hideous cold/flu thing the doctor put me on a bunch of antibiotics. He thought I had a sinus infection and had me take them for a month and then when I still had symptoms he had me take another months worth. How much of that contributed to my LPR? Is my stomach still out of whack because all the good bacteria were killed off by the antibotic?

Old 01-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

yes! that is what i think - the good guys (bacteria) got all killed off and that started this reflux stuff. I have started taking probiotics to try to replace them. not sure how long it will take - i've been taking them for about 3 weeks. also not sure how much quantity I should be taking, but I just got a basic probiotic pill. it just seems very coincidental if I consider ALL the people here and elsewhere on the net that I've been reading about, that have gotten LPR/acid symptoms after a heavy bout of antibiotics. I will be out of town tomorrow for 2 weeks but will check back in with ya when I return. we'll figure this out!

Old 01-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User

My LPR symtoms began after I got a sore throat from kissing a girl. My sore throat has never gone away. Been a year and half.

IS

Old 01-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
(female)

JOG1151 HB User

I went back and have been reading more old posts...I was amazed at how many folks had a cold or an infection prior to the onset of LPR...whether or not it means anything is a mystery to me, but I find it to be more than coincidental.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I've always thought that stress and antibiotic use caused the LPR (Reflux) in the first place. Most of us had a sinus infection and we were given strong antibiotics, then within 4 weeks our reflux started. Problem is reversing the damage the antibiotics did. Taking a line from Quint from Jaws "I'll never take antibiotics again."

Old 01-08-2007, 08:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I'm quite sure mine had nothing to do with an illness. More likely huge ibuprofen usage for 6 mos. prior.

I and my husband fought a viral infection for a week or so last Feb, but that was (soon) after the watershed moment at the end of Jan when I KNEW I had something wrong with my gut and throat. (My viral included a bout of fever and a bout of bad congestion/dripping nose, but neither long at all.)

Old 01-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
(female)

Kellir HB User

When my reflux started I had taken 2 rounds of antibiotics for my red nasty throat and it never cleared up I had bad chest pain and shortness of breath. My reflux started about 2 months ago and my throat looks the same, it never cleared up and Im having really bad sinus problems.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #11
(female)

JOG1151 HB User

I also was on antibiotics for an upper respratory infection....I finished the full dose and was feeling better for one exception...I dould NOT stop clearing my throat...I NEVER experienced anything like it...I was clearing my throat ESILY every 30 seconds.

This is what prompted me to see an ENT...who in turn scoped me and diagnosed it as Silent Acid Reflux.

Interesting theory that the antibiotics played a role in the LPR.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #12
(female)

JOG1151 HB User

I also was on antibiotics for an upper respratory infection....I finished the full dose and was feeling better for one exception...I dould NOT stop clearing my throat...I NEVER experienced anything like it...I was clearing my throat ESILY every 30 seconds.

This is what prompted me to see an ENT...who in turn scoped me and diagnosed it as Silent Acid Reflux.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #13
(female)

JOG1151 HB User

Old 01-23-2007, 05:16 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

I came down with a very bad cold or flu bug on New Year's Day and within a day or two after that I started having extreme reflux-type pain. The pain actually radiates all the way up my throat into my jaw, teeth and face!

After suffering almost two weeks I went to my GP who gave me Zpack and ordered an upper GI series. That came back negative but the flu bug symptoms cleared up, all except the reflux pain which got worse.

I was thinking the reflux pain may have appeared coincidentally with the flu bug but this thread suggests there may be a connection. My doc is sending me to a gastroenterologist so I guess I'll be looking forward to an endoscopy soon. I've taken my first Nexium and it seemed to make things worse.

How long after starting Nexium can you expect relief?

Old 01-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #15
(female)

JOG1151 HB User

I still find it to be more than a coincidence that so many people experience LPR symptoms after an upper respiratory infection.

My main symptoms appeared 3 times since August...the 1st time was after an infection...the 2nd time was after I stopped taking the meds (I'm guessing that was rebound acid)..and the 3rd time was after an infection (just recently).

Closed Thread