It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User
Is there a difference between Prescription Prilosec and Prilosec OTC ??

I don't think there is a difference according to the pharmacist, but just thought I'd ask. ONly difference I think is the dosage amounts.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
Re: Is there a difference between Prescription Prilosec and Prilosec OTC ??

I can't tell you what it is but this subject has come up. People who have done alot of homework say there IS a definite difference, maybe in basic chemistry. OTC I think isn't even owned by the same co. any more, or something. Don't quote me but I've definitely gotten the impression they are fundamentally different.

Think about it. There wouldn't BE a prescription required if it were all the same.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
(female)

needaremedy HB User

I think it comes down to dosage- 20 mg being the OTC and higher being prescription. As for the chemistry, Prilosec was the original and when the patent protection came up to expire, Astra Zeneca did something to the chemistry and came up with Nexium...
there's a whole write-up about it if you search for Prilosec without going to their site. Some people respond better to the "chemistry" of Nexium.
Weird stuff to try to understand

Old 01-11-2007, 02:45 AM   #4
(female)

wordweaver HB User

I have a prescription for it, but the box says OTC. I'm only taking 20 mg once a day. I don't think that is enough.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

It wasn't enough for me. I was taking 80 mg a day, 4 pills a day, a box only lasted a wk, and at $20.00 dollars a box, it was costing me 80.00 a month. My doc put me on prescription prilosec 40 mg, twice a day, my co-pay is 30.00 a month. I can handle that.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

From what I read also Nexium is Prilosec with a new twist. The patent was to expire so what use to be prescription went OTC and then Nexium at a super price increase. the pharmaceuticals will always find a way to get the biggest buck for much of the same thing OTC. That's kind of what my pharmacist had told me.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Yes, there is a difference between OTC Prilosec and prescription.

When I started taking Prilosec in 1998 it was at 20 mg (the current OTC dosage). It came in a little purple capsule with spanules inside. If I remember correctly, there are 5 patents on the original prescription Prilosec. Two of those patents expired several years ago which allowed other companies to manufacture Prilosec using only the two patents.

This is why when you buy Prilosec OTC it is in tablet form and not in a capsule with spanules. Part of the Prilosec "recipe" is still protected so even if you get generic Prilosec (omeperazole) it is not the same.

Yes, the "active" ingredient is the same but the delivery mechanism is not.

When Prilosec 20 mg went OTC, my insurance would no longer pay the lower copay. I tried the OTC version and was nauseous really bad within 5 days. It did not work for me.

Now I get get the prescription Prilosec (20 mg) and pay $70 for a 90-day supply versus $50.

Nexium is a whole different matter. There is a method of manufacturing medications from the "parent" medication that makes the drug more pure. They remove/reverse an isomer, I believe (can't really explain it). This is the case with Nexium--it is a more pure form of Prilosec (contains only the "e" isomer; hence the name emeperazole.) The same is true for Celexa (an SSRI). It's "sister" drug is Lexapro.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I still think that most drug companies protect their formulas and prilosec is just the cheaper version of nexium. Nex doesn't work for me but prilosec otc works better, obviously pure doesnt always mean better! I worked in the drug field for awhile and they really hold their formulas secretly and half the time a new drug is only changed by one small change in formula and this justifies charging bigger bucks for the new same drug. It's makes us folks think we are getting a better drug paying bigger bucks when in reality it is pretty much the same thing. I know not all companies do that trick but the ones I worked for did!

Closed Thread