It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
(female)

Woodruff HB User
Bragg Organic apple cider Vinegar?

My Chiroprator told me to try the Vinegar. Said take 4-6oz water mix honey (for taste) & 1t. Vinegar. Said he has several people that take it & no more acid. The town I live in my husbands 2 friends take the Vinegar & are having very good results.

I haven't started any yet, it scares me I take 2 l5mg Prevacid in morning & 1 15mg at night. I really watch what I eat--lots of plain food.

Has anyone had any results with Vinegar?

Also I have read in these threads some are trying Mastic Gum, does that agree with other medications that you take.

I have Fibromyalgia, allergies too.

Also have stopped taking Actonel because it makes me ache so bad.

Deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
(female)

needaremedy HB User
Re: Bragg Organic apple cider Vinegar?

I asked the same thing at my appt with my naturopathic doctor. He said it really varies by person. The important thing was to start with a good quality Apple Cider Vinegar. The dose was similar to what you mentioned. He said to take it right before a meal. Then don't drink any other fluids with the meal or for two hours after the meal. He said to give the trial about a week to work...if it didn't, scrap it.

HOWEVER, he did mention that it was almost like an oxymoron in a sense to take a PPI to suppress acid only to add it back with ACV. Makes sense, too, I suppose. Soooo...I'm trying to wean off the PPI's so that I can try the ACV.

I'm trying a lot of new things these days since CLEARLY the PPI's don't work for me.

(Sorry to be long-winded)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

jfriedmanx HB User

Quick question, is Vinegar acidic?

Old 01-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
(female)

needaremedy HB User

yes, it is... it's more acidic than orange juice but less acidic than stomach acid.

Last edited by needaremedy; 01-11-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User

It is acidic so how can it help with our acids that are suppose to be alot? I am willing to try it though... does it also help with bloating? I have been bloated for 6 months nonm-stop PPIS dont work either gives me terrible headache and nausea.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:11 AM   #6
(female)

needaremedy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkie14
It is acidic so how can it help with our acids that are suppose to be alot? I am willing to try it though... does it also help with bloating? I have been bloated for 6 months nonm-stop PPIS dont work either gives me terrible headache and nausea.
chikkie14~
The idea with adding the acid is that we don't have enough acid so our food is sitting and sitting and creating gas. When the gas builds up, it needs to escape and does so with some of the acid. By taking the vinegar, you're supposed to be giving your stomach a hand in digesting your food.
I'm sort of scared to try it just thinking about the burning that could come...but there's always baking soda if that happens, I suppose. Some people swear by the vinegar.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #7
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

So if Im already taking prevacid, but its not working, is it ok to take the apple cidar vinegar along with the prevacid? Im even worse off the prevacid, but Im still not great on it.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
(female)

Proverbs3:5 HB User

I was just diagnosed with the LPR variety of acid reflux disease. The Dr. prescribed some sort of A.R. medicine but not being the medicine taking type, unless my life depends on it, decided to try Bragg's ACV. After many, many years of having a chronic cough I really think I have found a remedy in the ACV----- !!
The way I take it is 1-2 tbsp mixed with a sweetener (maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, sugar, juice) and a bit of water in a shot glass before breakfast and dinner. It tastes nasty but I think I am getting somewhat used to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Proverbs3:5 For This Useful Post:
thyroiddancing (07-03-2012)
Old 01-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User

Thanks needaremedy for your explanation I actuallly bought me a bottle yesterday. But should I take it before or after meal? And will it also work for gastritis?

Proverb3:5, so how was it working for you so far? I am still hesitant but I am getting there

Old 01-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

hi happened to run across this post passing through,I have been using braggs apple cider vinegar for over a year,I use 1 teaspoon in water twice a day,It works for my acid reflux and indigestion, just as well if not better than the meds Ive tried but cant speak for others,how it works I dont know.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #11
(female)

needaremedy HB User

Well...I have started the vinegar...

I haven't felt this good in almost THREE YEARS!!! I actually look forward to taking it because I know it's helping me in a way the PPIs and Zantac weren't. And I finally have some energy again. Hmmm...maybe I'm getting some value out of my food again???

I'm a believer

Old 01-27-2007, 03:12 PM   #12
(female)

Proverbs3:5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkie14 View Post
Thanks needaremedy for your explanation I actuallly bought me a bottle yesterday. But should I take it before or after meal? And will it also work for gastritis?

Proverb3:5, so how was it working for you so far? I am still hesitant but I am getting there

Hesitate no more---it works amazingly well! It is so great to not have coughing fits anymore--they were sooo embarrasing!! I sounded really sick so people would always look at me very concerningly. I still cough but I can tell that it's not the same chronic cough that has plagued me for 20+ years.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #13
(female)

ambershareolive HB User
Smile Re: Bragg Organic apple cider Vinegar?

Hello,
Regarding the Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar... The thing that makes it good for people like us is the "mother of vinegar" as they call it on the bottle. It is a living enzyme that is also found in Kombucha - the latest health craze - but Kombucha is like $3 a serving and real apple cider vinegar is way cheaper with the same benefit. You can read about it here:
[url]http://www.bragg.com/FAQ/faq_applecider.html[/url]

Hope this helps. I think I will try it too!

Oh by the way... you must buy this type of unrefined apple cider vinegar to get any benefit. Otherwise you would just be injesting acid.

Amber

Closed Thread