It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
(female)

Sanchez1 HB User
Unhappy Anyone have trouble when sitting for long periods of time?

I'm trying to decipher if it's actually my acid reflux or anxiety that causes this, but when I am at the computer for a long while, the upper are of my stomach hurts and feels heavy, lots of pressure. My throat feels tight, especially towards the bottom. It feels better if I go lay down.

Sometimes, it gets bad enough to happen when I am walking, even.

I though acid refulx occurs more when you lay down? Don't get me wrong, I have trouble when laying down, just not the pressurized pain I get sitting for a long time, etc.

I'm really worried it could be something else, as I have never heard of people feeling this way when sitting.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User
Re: Anyone have trouble when sitting for long periods of time?

Believe it or not it sounds exactly as me... when I wake up thats when I feel really normal and well but as soon as I get up I can almost feel the weight dropping on my lower tummy and my chest begining tobe heavy again. sitting seems to built up the gas on my chest... there was a time I thought my PC was cursed as everytime I sit infront I feel teribly bad. I have no explanation for it though. What I do is I try to stand up time to time and walk around until I burp the gas out.. sipping water also works for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
(female)

BonnyB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez1 View Post
I'm trying to decipher if it's actually my acid reflux or anxiety that causes this, but when I am at the computer for a long while, the upper are of my stomach hurts and feels heavy, lots of pressure. My throat feels tight, especially towards the bottom. It feels better if I go lay down.

I though acid refulx occurs more when you lay down? Don't get me wrong, I have trouble when laying down, just not the pressurized pain I get sitting for a long time, etc.

I'm really worried it could be something else, as I have never heard of people feeling this way when sitting.
Yes, I have the same problem when sitting; I'm best when I can keep moving ..walking or just housework. Unfortunately, I spend my day at work on a computer as I'm employed in the IT industry. I posted earlier about 'spasms' and the Internist first thought it was my heart as my BP was also elevated. Still need to get that GI appointment although with Crohns, I know all too well the tests. It's not that they're painful (Endoscopy/ Colonscopy/etc) but I'm in a very demanding job as far as schedule goes, so I dread making an appt that I know will be well in advance and I cannot predict what will be going on at work then. But I will ... after tomorrow's dental appt. Good luck and hope you get some help with your 'spasms'!! BonnyB

Old 02-21-2007, 03:30 AM   #4
(female)

smurfy33 HB User

I thought I was crazy to think that my symptoms were worse sitting down but now I know I'm not alone! I also do computer work and I sit in front of my computer 8 hours a day. I always feel good until I sit in front of that computer. My stomach feels heavy and I sometimes feel like I can't breathe right. I get that band-like feeling around my chest. Sometimes I get that feeling of a lump in my throat, too. As soon as I get up and get moving, I feel better.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:01 AM   #5
(female)

chickie99 HB User

Quote:

It could be your posture. If T5-T6 spinal nerve root levels are aggravated from poor posture it will affect your gastro system.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
(female)

BonnyB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickie99 View Post
It could be your posture. If T5-T6 spinal nerve root levels are aggravated from poor posture it will affect your gastro system.
That's really interesting since I had surgery several years ago to remove a bone spur at what I think was C5-C6; that bone spur was replaced by a 'donation' from a cadaver. Right above that area, which gets a lot of the brunt of my neck movements, I have developed a bit of a problem which requires I sleep in a very comfortable position or I will awaken with a terrific headache in the a.m. Thanks for the input chickie99! BonnyB

Old 03-03-2007, 07:04 PM   #7
(female)

Esoph HB User

Quote:

Hi Sanchez. As we "speak" I am having the squeezing in my throat with discomfort in my chest/upper stomach. I am standing as I write this - I put my laptop on top of a box so I can stand. When you mentioned the problem with sitting for a long period of time, it hit home to me. My husband and I travel a lot and if I'm in the car for too long - the agony starts. First I get chest pains, then squeezing in my throat - and then I get strange feelings in my face - like tingling/numbness. Next thing I know, I start arching my back and sticking my arms behind my head to relieve it. Unfortunately, once it starts - it does NOT stop - until I take Clonazepam. It calms down the spasms (my docs tell me it's my esophagus spazzing out - it feels like a heart attack - although I've never had one and my heart is fine).

Nevertheless, it feels awful and it causes me a lot of fear and anxiety, which ADDS to the symptoms. I don't know where I would be if it wasn't for the help of benzodiazepams. I've tried all sorts of things like protonics, zantac (which is great for heartburn) and I've taken carafate for bile in stomach, I've tried tricyclic antidepressants (which are supposed to help with esoph spasms) - but the "benzoes" are definately what work for me.

I hope you can find some relief - it really SUCKS to live like this - I know!

Old 03-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

this may seem like a weird question but is the sodium benzoate in sodas in the same family as benzodiazamines? when i drink soda it calms my stomach and i'm curious if its because of the benzoate in it.

Last edited by snowflake11; 03-04-2007 at 09:20 AM. Reason: to correct terminology

Old 03-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
(female)

Esoph HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake11 View Post
this may seem like a weird question but is the sodium benzoate in sodas in the same family as benzodiazamines? when i drink soda it calms my stomach and i'm curious if its because of the benzoate in it.
Benzodiazepines ( I had to look up the proper spelling of it - I've been misspelling it all along) are central nervous system depressants - to name a few, xanax, clonazepam, valium. They're mainly used for anxiety, panic and certain kinds of seizures.

The carbonation in soda may be what calms your stomach - perhaps?

I have a ?. How do you post your own question on this forum? I've been a member for a week now and I have found all these health problems interesting - especially when they pertain to my own - and it is supportive to know there are others out there with my similiar problems.

But I really don't have much expertise when it comes to forums/chat rooms...
I do know how to turn on my computer and turn it off - and sometimes it turns itself off in the middle of my "work". LOL

Old 03-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #10
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

hey there - welcome to you. to ask your own question - go to the top of the threads page and click "new thread." we're all here to help each other as we can.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
(female)

Esoph HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake11 View Post
hey there - welcome to you. to ask your own question - go to the top of the threads page and click "new thread." we're all here to help each other as we can.
Thank you snowflake - I was starting to think I was only posting to myself - kinda like talking to yourself - LOL!

Old 04-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #12
(female)

BonnyB HB User

Quote:

To Sanchez1 - I finally got an answer as to why I was feeling most of the pressure when I was sitting. After an ER visit due to severe stomach pain/vomiting, a series of XRays/Contrast CT scan of my small bowel, it was determined I had a small bowel obstruction and my system was trying to resolve the problem by pushing contents back into my stomach.. yuk!

Thanks to a wonderful ER surgeon, had a nasogastric tube for 3-4 days and only sips of water by mouth, and IVs, it mostly resolved, or at least enough to be released. I'm only eating very low residue foods and lots of water, antibiotics, etc. Will have endoscopy soon; should have done that a while ago.

I hope you too have some answers by now and also sincerely hope your resolution was not as severe as what I had to endure.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:38 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

Sitting for long periods of time (slouching, as my Grandma would call it) and also bending alot both cause me trouble! I believe it puts pressure on the stomach and causes acid to come up your esophogus.
TT

Old 04-16-2007, 09:38 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Bonny, I'm glad to hear you've found the problem and got it corrected. It's to bad that it had to come to the point that a trip to the ER was neccessary. Your situation seems to supports the belief that some have about reflux possibly being caused because the stomach cannot empty its contents in a timely manner. I wish you the best on your recovery.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #15
(female)

BonnyB HB User
Smile Re: Anyone have trouble when sitting for long periods of time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red60 View Post
Bonny, I'm glad to hear you've found the problem and got it corrected. It's to bad that it had to come to the point that a trip to the ER was neccessary. Your situation seems to supports the belief that some have about reflux possibly being caused because the stomach cannot empty its contents in a timely manner. I wish you the best on your recovery.
Thank you Red60-- Yes it is too bad it wasn't suspected sooner, but I am very happy it was finally diagnosed. Appreciate your input/best wishes. Bonny.

Closed Thread