It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
PND and stomach problems/GERD?

Hi, I know many of you have complained of sinus problems, or post-nasal drip (PND), especially those diagnosed with laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR). Some recently, apparently corresponding to the LPR; others all your lives or darn close (like me). I'm wondering about another theory; see if you are somewhat like me.

I have always been sinus-sensitive, if you will. I have allergies on top of just plain almost always feeling alot of congestion/drip, just like my dad. My ear-nose-throat doctor saw the congestion I had when diagnosing me with reflux problems. He gave me Rhinocourt, which has really cleared up the congestion.

However, often I feel as if liquid or goo is all over my throat - just like my normal "PND" feelings. Only now I am confused as to whether it is really PND, or acid from my gut! I burp so much and feel worse in the throat and gut after burping alot, that I just assume alot of it is actually goo from the gut! But I don't know.

I have alot of stomach problems since this alleged GERD/LPR diagnosis. I do have gastroparesis - that I can say with certainty. However, it's not more than mild (no vomiting!) and I also burn and just bloat and sometimes hurt alot. This is usually, again, accompanied by the burping and throat and sinus-like symptoms.

Could it be possible that the PND is working overtime trying to soothe my throat, but as a result is dripping/swallowed into my stomach and irritating an already-bad stomach? Thus continuing a vicious cycle?

I notice when I've been "sick" over my life - flu, upper respiratory, etc. - that I have PND heavily and it definitely goes in my stomach. Sometimes it's so bad I feel nauseous from it, but I know I'm not stomach-sick.

So, I'm starting to wonder if the PND is feeding my stomach problems which is feeding my throat problems and so on!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
(female)

winterj HB User
Re: PND and stomach problems/GERD?

i don't know about all those things, but i do know that claritin-d helps a lot w/ my PND. Wish I could find another remedy, 'cause I hate being dependent on it, but I also hate coughing and clearing my throat all day long.

Also, some foods make it worse for anybody, like milk or other dairy, and I think if you're allergic to stuff, it can cause PND too.

I wonder if the PND/GERD/reflux has anything do w/ the way i breathe - if people that don't have it actually breathe differently, or if it's anything that's "controllable".

I did take Nexium for a while, and that did help too, but it also upset my stomach a lot.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User

Ol'rebel you have a point in there... I feellike my tummy is at its worst at the same time as my LPR is at its worst too... so how do you manage it? The goo is really annoying... do you also have headaches along with your LPR? I have tons! what meds do you take for your LPR?

Old 01-18-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkie14 View Post
Ol'rebel you have a point in there... I feellike my tummy is at its worst at the same time as my LPR is at its worst too... so how do you manage it? The goo is really annoying... do you also have headaches along with your LPR? I have tons! what meds do you take for your LPR?

I don't get headaches. Well, not from this. I've had occasional headache problems ever since I had an accident years ago wherein essentially I got slight whiplash. When I get the neck ache, it'll grow to a headache!

I use Nexium 40 2x/day and 300 mg Zantac at night. I'm not sure any of this really helps.

I wondered about my stomach with PND because this is what normally happens:
-start burping alot
-throat hurts (sometimes, with a whole lot of burping, might feel lots of "mucous" too)
-stomach hurts

in that order. Very quick, often, so it's hard to be certain 1 is causing the other, but it sure seems like it!

Last edited by Ol'Line Rebel; 01-18-2007 at 07:58 AM.

Closed Thread