It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

santo HB User
throat gurgling/constant burps?

i've had a problem for about two months. out of nowhere, during one week in november, my throat was making these very loud, guttural noises. they were very prolonged and sounded like long drawn out croaks. these "noises" occurred every day on a constant basis for a week- during this week, also, my whole upper body ached badly, the same kind of hurt you feel when you have the hiccups.

now the noises are no longer so often, and that ache went away, but my throat won't stop making noises. at their worst they are the very loud gurgling croaks. (just think of the little demon in "the grudge" and you have an idea, haha.) apart from this, i feel air bubbles or burps constantly shooting up from my stomach and chest and then cresting in the back of my throat. i often hear this crinkling or squishing sound in my throat from the burps/air bubbles and am very uncomfortable at times. bending over seems to provoke the sounds. i feel a bit of pressure in my chest- i keep getting the urge to strain my upper body to expel air out and burp, but they don't really sound like normal burps. the noises are at times so loud that every day i dread going anywhere after i've eaten or had coffee, which seems to make it worse.

the only thing that seems to help is to not eat. i went six hours one day without food and the symptoms were very minor then. i also think bland foods might help, but i'm not sure any more. i'm trying prilosec now, i'm on my fourth day and it doesn't seem to do anything. i'm seeing a doctor in about a week, but i was wondering if anyone has any experiences with these odd symptoms or ideas of possibilities with what could be wrong?

The Following User Says Thank You to santo For This Useful Post:
VanessaK (11-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
(male)

scott1360 HB User
Re: throat gurgling/constant burps?

sounds just like reflux to me. I have these symptoms along with a pretty much constant burning feeling in my stomach/chest. I take medicine that used to help but have been really hurting the past month even on a new medication (aciphex). Be patient with the medicine though. It can take a while to truly work.

The Following User Says Thank You to scott1360 For This Useful Post:
VanessaK (11-25-2012)
Old 01-23-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

My whole nightmare really started that way. For 2 solid days I was burping (like yours - silent burps up through the throat) constantly, about once every minute. I also hiccuped with these - again, "silent" hiccups that were very slow, low and deliberate. After some time of this I felt awful all over my gut/chest/throat.

I still have these frequently, just not as obviously as those 1st days. And they are the 1 thing I can tie in with "feeling bad" - especially the throat. The more I burp/hiccup, the worse I feel. Guaranteed I do too many too frequently, my throat will suffer.

Only 1 thing I know for sure as of now - I have gastroparesis (albeit mild). Meaning my stomach doesn't work well. So things can get stopped up in there and hence, "back up" all the way back through my mouth. Never mind it sometimes can make me feel ill in the stomach (as it rots in there - creating more gas also more likely to open up the sphincter).

There is no solid test that I can see for GERD; it's just a guess. My doctor is still guessing I have it but I'm tending to the gastroparesis as THE problem.

Bottom line, there are several things which could cause excessive reflux, not just "GERD".

Sounds like you could have excessive reflux. From what I don't know!

Old 01-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
(female)

santo HB User

it's good to know i'm not alone, but i'm sorry to hear other people have to deal with this too. it is a constant battle every day for me to weigh the choices of being uncomfortable from hunger but with very little reflux or eating right and feeling miserable with the reflux. though one discovery of note (fyi in case it could be helpful) i'm able to eat as much soup as i want without any symptoms at all.

thanks for your replies- i'll know for sure when i see my doctor, but in the mean time these symptoms are pretty damn aggravating.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
(female)

Galaxy_Sug HB User

I have had that exact same problem for three years now...I am on Omaprazole (Prilosec OTC) and the gurgling you mentioned has never gone away. Its annoying, but not much I can do. I have recently developed breathing problems because of GERD and am on singulair, zyrtec and albuterol. Take care of your reflux...bad things can happen if left untreated. Take Care!

~Galaxy_Sug

The Following User Says Thank You to Galaxy_Sug For This Useful Post:
VanessaK (11-25-2012)
Closed Thread